House wired for cable/internet.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by STEVED21, Nov 25, 2019.

1. STEVED21

STEVED21 Godfather

Feb 6, 2006
    Hi all,

We are moving to a house prewired for cable. All rooms have RG6 outputs in the wall but run to the outside Cable company box. Is there any way to use these cables to install Directv and keep the internet. Obviously I would like to not put any more holes in the walls.

Thanks

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Unfortunately no ....

Or at least certainly not advisable and no DIRECTV tech. would attempt to install it that way. ...

As a modern DIRECTV installation needs to use SWiM satellite signals of somewhere below 950 MHz up to almost 2150 MHz (as well as a narrowband SWiM control signal at 2.3 MHz). And possibly up to 400-700 MHz needed for MoCA "Whole Home" (WH) networking signals.

So obviously no room for DOCSIS cable internet signals on the same lines.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    STEVED21 can split off the cable internet input at some point, at the outside cable box (OCB), or downstream at one of the room RG6 jacks that will not be used for TV. He can place the cable internet modem / router there. He should locate the DTV dish, and optional OTA, as close to the OCB as possible, run the SCCC single (dual if OTA) coax to the OCB, connect the DTV coax (and OTA into diplexer / combiner) to a DTV approved splitter, and connect the room RG6's. OTA uses the MoCA frequency, so no whole home (HS17 or client) solution, Hxx / HRxx only. At the room RG6, connect the coax (to a diplexer to split out the OTA) to the DTV receiver (AM21 or directly to the HDTV OTA input). For VOD requiring internet, each Hxx / HRxx requires Ethernet connectivity to a wifi repeater. If you go this route, the better configuration is a mesh (w/ Ethernet) wifi system, where the cable internet modem is connected to the first mesh module, and each additional module co-located and connected to each respective DTV receiver Ethernet port.

This is much simpler than the description I've provided might suggest, and is only a sensible solution for your particular circumstance... pre-wired where you don't want / have to drill anymore holes.

another suggestion, get a Slearo-02 mount so you don't drill any holes into your house mounting the dish.

Brad_73 likes this.
  4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm not sure what you mean wired for cable and internet. Could you explain in more detail?

My house cable is run as you described. DIRECTV installed a splitter from the dish that feeds five drops in our house using that outside cable box. But internet not wired anywhere in house. We added a new drop into our house and have a router and switch in the same room where DIRECTV comes in and their equipment gets internet.

5. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You can absolutely use these cables you would just need to have one cable dedicated for cable modem all the others could be used for DTV.

6. STEVED21

STEVED21 Godfather

Feb 6, 2006
    Thank everyone.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, this could be done ...

My point was that you can't (or certainly shouldn't try to) combine both the satellite and cable internet signals on the same coax at any point as they will mutually interfere.

Such as attempting to diplex both the satellite line from the dish and CATV drop line together outside at the OCB or some prior point. So that there will be only a single coax run to the POE of the house.

While convenient, shouldn't be done ....

8. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Where did I write to do any of this?

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    You didn't ...

I was referring to the OP, "STEVED21" ...

As I thought that's what he may have been asking was possible to do in his original post to this thread.