How Boomers Are Dealing With the COVID-19 Curveball

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Oct 16, 2020 at 2:13 PM.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Next Avenue:

‘I Feel Cheated’ — How Boomers Are Dealing With the COVID-19 Curveball
    The sense of lost time is magnified and can lead to feelings of frustration
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    BS

3. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    We have lost seven months of "normal." I don't see us getting back to that for at least another year.

AZ. likes this.
  4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I've felt the same thing in a different aspect. As has been posted in the past, I moved from California to Texas in mid-January, 2019, and closed on a home in early February, 2019. This was due to a job relocation offer through my workplace, but I also desired to begin a new life in Texas. From January to the end of June, I still worked the overnight shift. From July until mid-March, I moved back to daytime, and was able to enjoy life, including visiting some local attraction, attending my first professional hockey game, and seeing shows. Both of us even got Global Entry cards (which includes TRA PreCheck) to make travel easier at the airports for future trips.

Then Covid came along in mid-March, and our lives drastically changed. I was walking to and from work, but now my home office because my workplace, complete with VoIP connected phone. My hours are supposed to start at 9 AM Central, but instead start much earlier because we extremely busy. Much-looked forward to shows and trips were cancelled, and I had to relegate myself to day trips that were within my car. Having said that, this CovidCrisis provided me with opportunities that were not previously available.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Several thoughts ...
    The first is "what is a boomer". With an 18 year age range we have boomers who are 56 and boomers who are 74. With a midpoint age of 65 ("retirement age") the boomer generation is divided between the retired and the soon to be retired - with the numbers skewed toward the 56-65 range since most boomers were born in the second half of the generation and older people are more likely to be dead.
    Annual Births Chart Generations.jpg
    Write this article a year ago and you would find the same frustrations as seen in the article. As the article notes, the pandemic has amplified some of the feelings but the feelings of being between age 56 and 74 are not pandemic based. The body fails, finances change and workplace dynamics (if one is still working) can be stressful.

Body fails ... 13 years ago my wife and I made the walk up Clingmans Dome. On the way down I thought "even though I am young, I probably won't be able to make this walk again". Last week we made a return trip - we made it to the top (and there were a lot of people who succeeded that day). On the way down we met an 80 year old man walking up with a couple of people. A very slow walk but I'm sure he made it. There was a commercial a couple of years ago showing kids jumping off of playground equipment while a boomer watched and winced. A jump from 5ft for a boomer could lead to hospitalization or bed rest. Just a fact of growing older.

Finances change ... All that planning for retirement is put to the test. Can one afford to retire or does one need to work another couple of years to build up the bank account a little more?

Workplace dynamics ... this has been the biggest change for me while I grow older. The generation in charge is changing age. When I first started working the people in charge were my grandparent's age - and over time they passed off control to people my parents age. As time went by control was passed to people my age - and the dynamic of "mind your elders" was lost as my peers took control. Now the kids are taking over. Young people are CEOs. Many boomers are working for children! Many are just trying to get to retirement without getting fired.

All the above are pre-pandemic problems with aging. The article makes some valid points about how the pandemic has added to the stress of aging. The fear of a still employed medical professional not wanting to take a virus home to their grand child is real. The fear of children or grand children not wanting to take a virus to a boomer is real. One local city in my area offered early retirement bonuses to boomers who didn't feel comfortable returning to work where they might be exposed to the virus. The generation of "Walmart greeters" where an older person could get a job being the warm face of the company has been interrupted by fear of exposing an older boomer to thousand of potential virus carrying customers.

But all hope is not lost and one needs to keep the aging in perspective. From the article:
    As my boomer boss would say "suck it up, buttercup". I believe having a positive outlook will do wonders for those feeling oppressed by the virus. And a little education will help them understand that their plight is just part of getting old. My parents went through the same changes in life when they were my age. As my father entered retirement he bought all of the retirement toys ... he had a trailer for a rented spot at the lake - that didn't work for travel so he bought a motorhome that my parents used for one trip. Age and cancer took my parents retirement years. The problem this generation (boomers) are facing are not new. They can be overcome.

Instead of wallowing in dispair over what cannot be done try celebrating what still can be done. If the pandemic has made time between generations more rare treasure those moments more.

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I like your last sentence. I haven't had a cold since February, for which I'm thankful. I'm retired and all of my children are working from home. Even four grandkids have jobs. Two others are still in school, remotely for the most part, but doing well. We get takeout once a week, attend church services online, and attended our son's wedding in August via Zoom.

We would like to socialize more but at our age we just can't.

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    This is of concern to me now, and I place top priority of maximizing the 401(k) regular and catchup as well as the Roth IRA. Second priority is paying off my home.

Teetertotter likes this.
  8. Teetertotter

Teetertotter Member

Jul 23, 2020
    Janesville, WI
    As one person wrote above and said by his OLDER boss. "SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP" lol Wife and I retired in 2008. Married 56 years.

A minor inconvenience not taking an annual trip south from WI., for a couple weeks this year. Son and family have secure responsible jobs and daughter and family are wealthy. Their kids are just fine and working.

You know what I miss due to this COVD? Volunteering as a CASA [County Appointed Special Advocate] and volunteering at the County YWCA Women's Domestic Violence Shelter with Children?

I do play 9 holes once a week at age 77, but now cold here in WI. I also do NRA .22 rifle shooting, off hand, target shooting and wear a mask. That has ended. Life is good and now on winter vacation. Hopefully FL, in Feb or Mar with daughter and family. Usual family Christmas is planned at our house with son and daughter families, and some of their off spring.

We are fortunate with some inconveniences this year. Wear your mask and keep distances.

AZ. likes this.
  9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I said "boomer boss". I did not say older. :)
    That makes you pre-boomer. At least on the chart posted. But still fairly close.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    All three of our kids are Boomers. We, of course, are from the Silent Generation which is a gross misnomer. In 1951, a Time magazine article was written in which the children of the generation were described as unimaginative, withdrawn, unadventurous, and cautious. Among the Silent Generation were/are:

The Beatles (born 1940-1943), Pope Francis (1936), Janis Joplin (1943), Al Pacino (1940), Madeleine Albright (1937), Wilt Chamberlain (1936), Patrick Stewart (1940), Bob Dylan (1941), Jimi Hendrix (1942), Tina Turner (1939), Abbie Hoffman (1936), Grace Slick (1939), Jerry Garcia (1942), Jerry Brown (1938), Antonin Scalia (1936), George Carlin (1937), Robert De Niro (1943), Joan Baez (1941), Arthur Ashe (1943), Lily Tomlin (1939), Dionne Warwick (1940), Ted Turner (1938), Ann-Margret (1941), Jane Fonda (1937), Nora Ephron (1941), Hunter S. Thompson (1937), Simon and Garfunkle (both 1941), Anne Rice (1941), John Irving (1942), Barbra Streisand (1942), Stephen Hawking (1942), Alice Walker (1944), Cheech & Chong (1946 and 1938), Erik Clapton (1945) Colin Powell (1937), Joyce Carol Oates (1938), Penny Marshall (1943), Joe Namath (1943), Muhammad Ali (1942), Diana Ross (1944), Diane Sawyer (1945), Jim Morrison (1943), and The Rolling Stones (1936-43).​

With that said I know our kids are struggling with the vagaries of the Covid-19 pandemic. One of them is a transit bus driver. So far the only family member who has gotten Covid-19 has been our 24-year-old granddaughter and she had mild symptoms and recovered rapidly. Fortunately, we're old enough that staying at home is what we were doing before, more-or-less. But Thanksgiving and Christmas will be tough.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Covid-19 was the REASON I retired at 62. My state (and my boss) refused to even slow down during the outbreak. I decided I wanted to live a little longer, so I retired. Have not regretted it for a minute.

AZ. and tenpins like this.