1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I convince Ironwood to install Slimline on my chimney this Saturday

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wipeout, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I really want to avoid attaching to the roof for obvious reasons. There is no other option besides chimney. I live in a townhouse and the chimney is made of the same wood siding as the rest of the house. Ironwood tells me they are not allowed to attach Slimline to the chimney. I attempted to attach a picture of my current set-up but I can't figure out how to do it. Everything I try fails?

2. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    Can you get a chimney mount? I know the old dishes had chimney mounts available.

I think if you had the chimney mount preinstalled that it would be easy for them to attach the new dish.

I have my slimline attached to my chimney. I used the old mount and made some modifications. But I would look into getting a new chimney mount ahead of time.

-mk

3. philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    The Slimline requires a tri-pod mount. If you can show the installer how to mount the tri-pod on the chimney, maybe you will luck out.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006

So are you saying that your chimney is NOT a traditional brick & mortar chimney? But instead a "fake" with regular framing & siding like the rest of the house? If it is just framed, I see no issue with putting it there. It would be no different than if it was on the side of the house.

As a last resort, Former President Jackson (or 2) may be able to convince the installer to put the dish where you want it.

Heck, for the right incentives, I'll put it in your basement if you want. :D

5. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    Fake chimney mount:

[​IMG]

6. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    The installer didn't want to put my AT-9 on the chimney last year. It's wood frame with siding. I called D* Installation support as he called his manager and we finally worked out that if I would sign the installation sheet releasing them from liability if it pulled off, they would install it. It's been there since last fall with no problems. I have had first a one LNB,then a two LNB and a three LNB dish in the same location since 1997. I just had them put it in a corner so most of the lag bolts would hit a 2X4. The same for the two support arms. No problems. Good luck. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

7. EaglePC

EaglePC Icon

Apr 14, 2007
    oooo

do you have high winds , and the ice i feel sorry for you

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    To attach a picture... click "Go Advanced" then "Manage Attachments". Pick the picture to attach.

As far as a chimney mount, just be aware that the slimline is heavy, that's one reason they want to put it on a roof so the weight goes downward. Also it's got to be stable, it's got to see 5 sats.

9. Dazed & Confused

Jun 13, 2007
    Yes, we have high winds and have been known to have an occasional hurricane.

As far as ice goes, we are a little short on that down here.

No need to feel sorry for me. If a hurricane blows that off, it will most likely be the least of my problems.

10. Dazed & Confused

Jun 13, 2007
    Did I do something wrong with that picture? I just used the insert image button.

11. HolyRoses

HolyRoses Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    I like that chimney mount in your picture ;-) What sort of bolts did you use to attach?

12. Dazed & Confused

Jun 13, 2007
    I really don't know what the installer used as I was not watching him put it up. I was concerned at first as the installer did not generally fill me with confidence concerning his ability. When a second installer brought me another HR20 a month later, I was discussing the install with him and my concerns. He volunteered to go up and check it out. He checked everything, and tightened a few of the alignment bolts. I watched him really yanking on the thing and it was solid. He said if it was his install he would be confident about it, and that he was very picky. He was the type of guy I would ask for as an installer if I had a choice.

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The installers have boxes of lag bolts, I was given a partial of 5/16x2".

The number 1 rule is the mount base must have at least 2 screws into solid lumber like a joist or rafter. And the monopoles work better that way too. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

14. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    What are the "obvious reasons" you don't want it attached to the roof ?

Because it will cause a leak ?

I've put dishes on my roofs and friends roof's for years and never had any leaks.

15. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    My chimney is a fake as you say.

16. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I got the picture to show up in the attach files right above the manage attachments button but that is as far as I can go.

17. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I am concerned about leaks. I am also not sure how the dish stays on the roof if the installer doesn't come inside the house and attach some kind of nut on the other end of the bolts he drives into the house. Also, I need to put on a new roof next year so to do that the roofers are gonna have to take the dish down and then they will have to fill in those holes and then I have to have install come back out. It would just be better to have it on the chimney is all.

18. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Most installers like to mount the dish to the roof because it is easy, they don't have to hoist it up a chimney or lift much weight very high up. Your chimney would be fine if they ensured the lag bolts hit the framing lumber. Roof mount can be very strong IF the installer were to lag into the rafters, but I'm sure they don't. Down the road a roof leak can be costly and the installation company's liability would be nil by that time. I would mount the dish anywhee BUT the roof. IMHO

19. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Here's how I got the installer to attach mine. I know the base and the right monopole are into a 2X4. The left monopole is just through the Hardie Plank but is still tight after a year. It doesn't appear to take much load.

Attached Files:

20. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    It's supposed to be attached to a stud so there's no need to come inside the house and attach some kind of nut on the inside.

The roofers don't fill any holes. I took the dish down and the roofers removed the shingles and the old tar paper. Then they put down new tar paper and new shingles.

When the dish is attached to the roof you put sealant in the holes, and sealant around the entire mounting bracket. No need to worry about leaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.