1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I find out which HSP D* assigned my install to?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by 996911, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1 of 17

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Long story short.......

Called D* for installer initiated reschedule b/c D* didn't send them the proper equipment. D* offered me a discounted install and told me the best way (easiest) was to cancel the existing order and redo the order exactly but with better pricing (which would net a gratis box rather than paying for one). The only problem is I could get pushed back on the install date potentially. If that happens it would be no biggie since I have what I thought was the install company phone number from when they called me yesterday to reschedule and I could tell them to keep my appt for next week.

So I proceed with the cancel and redo option and the D* rep tells me that his system shows the earliest date is roughly 2 weeks out. No biggie right since I'll just call the install company and tell them to move my new date into my existing date (the one that was rescheduled from yesterday) for next week.

I call the install company after I can't understand why they are not showing my install date of the 21st but only show my cancellation for the 8th. Once we go back and forth I finally ask him where he is located. He says.....wait for it.....Colorado! I am in Raleigh, NC. So how is he the install company? He explains to me what a HSP is and that he acts as a contractor and then subs out the work to a local guy. Further he told me that I could have easily been sent to another HSP which is why he doesn't see my order.

So.....how do I find out who my new HSP is so I can call and see if they can schedule me sooner? Heck, since I mostly working from home, I'd even be fine with a "first available" so they could do my install if they have time to fit it in or have a cancellation.

It's not the end of the world if I have to wait until the 21st but I'd really like to watch NFLST in my new home theater we built where the new box will be going.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Sep 4, 2010 #2 of 17
  3. Sep 4, 2010 #3 of 17

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    How would that work if the last HSP was in Colorado?

4. Sep 4, 2010 #4 of 17
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Aren't you in NC ?
    Type in a Colorado zip and see what it does.

5. Sep 4, 2010 #5 of 17

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    And why would that help? That isn't a HSP page you gave me it's a retailer search page.

I'm not going to start guessing either. I guess the better question to ask is would D* be able to tell me (and give me the number) which HSP they sent my order to? Or could one of the people here find that info out?

6. Sep 4, 2010 #6 of 17
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Used to be Mastec in Raleigh but I'm pretty sure D* gave them the boot for getting behind. Theres now a different company doing the installs and I've heard they aren't very good.

7. Sep 4, 2010 #7 of 17

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Mastec was the company that did my install on our new home back in 2006. I'll start a new thread and see who knows who the install company is in the area. Thanks James.

8. Sep 4, 2010 #8 of 17
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Go over to http//CableBar and select employment and Directv. You can find the ads for techs. Found one for Raleigh, NC......unidentified with an 800 #.

Found an HSP advertising for your area. Light them up!

Joe

9. Sep 4, 2010 #9 of 17
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    A couple of new people on the DTV Forum have reported that they got their installs quickly, after cancelling their first order, and a good job by going to the local dealer instead of calling DTV on the phone.

I thought that might help you also.

10. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    But as I said in my original post, I already called and had the service scheduled. I'm just trying to know if there is a way to find out. No biggie, but I do appreciate you trying help me out.

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Some two years ago the HSP for my area in L.A. used to be "ConnecTV." However in all recent tech visits since they told me they don't work for any HSP and nowadays DirecTV hires their own technicians directly and is generally moving away from the old system of contracting out to HSPs for the installs. :confused:

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Correct. DirecTV is, gradually, buying out the HSPs and running them directly, something they should have done a decade ago. The problem is that all of the old, bad habits are still ingrained into most of the management folks...

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    DirecTV used to give this number out relatively freely. They don't seem to anymore. :(

I know you don't want to guess but I think you might be able to do a little detective work and figure this out yourself. A local brick & mortar reseller/installer might know who it is. Or in my case, I know my local guys are out of Eau Claire, WI, about 90 miles away from me. I'd call a dealer or two in Eau Claire - there are only half a dozen of them - and I'm sure that quickly I could get the right number.

Good luck. I think you are definitely on the right track here. Contacting the installer before the installation date and time definitely puts you in the driver's seat. :)

14. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    The HSP's requested for their inbound numbers to be removed, and shifted to completely outbound a few years back...

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    BZ,

Whatdayatink?

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I would like to welcome you to this course, Introduction to Telecommunications 101. Here we will show you correct wiring procedures and principles of the most recent forms of communication through satellite, telephony, wireless signals and even green twigs and blankets. Many of you will move on to colleges and become engineers. Many of you will provide home services as installer representatives for the various satellite communication systems around the country.
    During the required internship portion of this course you will actually go out and connect entertainment systems while tuning the dish. You will be paid a stipend and be given lunch.

Call ya back, the guards are coming.

Joe

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Quite so,

But they must have a charter representative in most states. This is a person a process server can legally hand a court summons to. If you have not been paid by an HSP forget the phone. Just sue them... find their bank....even though lawyers don't recommend it...seize their vehicles.........if they don't produce enough money to pay for the installs you can still go after other assets.

Opps, sorry......I forgot the question.

How to get an installation? OK....well it is complicated.

Joe

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I was asked not to use the phrase.."same whore with different lipstick".....so I will not use that metaphor. I will search for another summary statement.
    Perhaps..."As the ship sinks any life boat will do.".....but the ship is not sinking...they just need to stop cheating their contractors; share the wealth and do what they say..........Maybe this:.".when you have screwed everybody in town and the sheep are running away....No, that won't do!

How about this? "Hire competent people and make sure they are paid for competent and completed work?"

Just a thought,

Joe