How can I force a recording on "Channels I Get"?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by rbpeirce, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1 of 35
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Somehow, two recordings in my Genie Series Manager indicate "Channels I Get" instead of a specific channel. I have one series, Auto Racing, that is on several channels some of which duplicate one another. I would love to have one entry for Channels I get but I can't figure out how to make that happen.

2. Nov 3, 2014 #2 of 35
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait what? You have it set now to a single channel and want to make it CIG? Use the sports search section by adding that sport as a team and then set it to record via that.

3. Nov 3, 2014 #3 of 35
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    No. Auto Racing is on at least seven different channels. I can program each channel individually in Series Manager, but then if the same broadcast appears on multiple channels I will get multiple copies of it.

I tried Sports/My Teams/Racing, but I only have four options, Formula 1, Indy, Motorcycle & Nascar. I am also interested in things like the Blancpain Series, FIA World Touring Car, etc. These aren't options.

I have resorted to AUTORECORD, but I'm not sure how close that is to "Channels I Get." It may include channels I don't get and it may skip certain shows I want to watch. I just don't know.

Channels I get seems to be much cleaner, assuming it works.

4. Nov 3, 2014 #4 of 35
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    When you say auto record what exactly do you mean? And can you tell me exactly what the title of the show is and when it's on this week? I can fashion a Boolean arsl for you if you like.

But if you are simply talking about a keyword search and creating a recording from that it will always grab from channels
    I get.

5. Nov 3, 2014 #5 of 35
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I did a search on Auto Racing and then used that as the Key Word to create an Autorecord in series manager. It is listed as "AUTO RACING & Sports, Auto."

In my ToDo list, there is an "Auto Racing" entry for 11/4 @ 4AM on 221. The title is "Blancpain GT Sprint Series." There is another with the same title on 11/9 @ 3PM on 221. However, also on 11/9 but @ 4AM there is an "Auto Racing" with the title "2014 FIA World Touring Car Championship."

I was not aware that you could do Boolean searches outside the normal DTV auto record searches. How do you do that?

6. Nov 3, 2014 #6 of 35
    toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I still can't get Channel I Get for motorcycle racing.

Let us know if you figure it out.

7. Nov 3, 2014 #7 of 35
    coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    More info: http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Advanced%20Search%20FAQ.pdf

One note to add, always use CCHANS instead of CCHAN even though the PDF says otherwise, since it hasn't been updated to reflect that.

8. Nov 4, 2014 #8 of 35
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I swear we fixed that ages ago... I need to look into that...

9. Nov 4, 2014 #9 of 35
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    This could be very useful except it doesn't actually tell you HOW to enter these searches. On my Genie, if I do a keyword search I seem to be limited to the options I can select on the screen

I go to Smart Search and enter "Nascar Racing." That gives me a keyword, which I select. Then I have a number of sub-categories headed by All. I select Sports/Auto and get "NASCAR RACING & Sports, Auto." One of the Upcoming Programs is "Racine" which I would like to exclude so I assume I need to enter NNOT Racine somewhere, but where and how?

Has genie "improved" the possible search parameters?

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    You enter the nnot part in the actual search string. Everything before the & in those examples is in the search string everything after is from the category filter screens.

11. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I think I've got it. It is the keyword, right! I need the following keyword

"NASCAR RACING NNOT RACELINE"

However, if the keyword is only "NASCAR RACING" I get two listings

RACELINE
    NASCAR RACING

So, I don't want RACELINE, but when I create the longer keyword I get a half dozen options, most of which I don't want either. How do I edit/expand the keyword string? I hope I don't have to keep re-entering an increasingly long string!!

12. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Unfortunately yes you would need to, good thing though is you only have to do it once, after you set them up they do work excellent and are well worth the time. BTW the limit is 50 characters for each Boolean Keyword.

13. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I have been making a lot of progress but have run into one seemingly insurmountable problem. Searching for "Auto Racing" produces a large number of titles that have "Auto*Racing." According to the Advanced Searches pages, "(Auto Racing) should only match the word Auto followed immediately by the word Racing, but that is not the case. It matches Auto*Racing. It is as if () had not been applied or had no effect.

Most problem events have the string "Auto, Racing". As a start, I need to reject any titles that have that string, but I don't know how to do it. Is there a way?

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try adding NNOT Auto, Racing to the end of the search string.

Also try Auto + Racing in place of the () or the * between the words.

15. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I'm sorry. I should have mentioned that I did try "(AUTO RACING) NNOT (AUTO, RACING)" and that did not work. What I think does not work is using "()", at least on genie, because any character or string of characters between AUTO and RACING gets included in the search with or without "()".

I liked the idea of "AUTO + RACING" but I could not figure out how to get a "+". On my remote I use "-" to cycle thru the different punctuation characters and "+" isn't one of them. I tried every other key on the remote and none of them produced a "+". How do I get it?

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Now that you mention that it is probably Auto AAND Racing.

17. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    That didn't work. I'm not even sure AAND is a valid search parameter. It isn't mentioned in the doc.

For the time being I have gone back to setting up series passes just for non-keyword Auto Racing on each individual channel. This will lead to a few duplicates but nothing like the problem I was running into.

"()" doesn't work the way I expected. Upon re-reading it says it will search for the words in the exact order they appear. Left unsaid is that other things can occur between those two words!

I also tried the EVENTS parameter but since these are not team events there are no unique names I can use.

If anybody has a way to search on a genie for the string "Auto Racing" with nothing in between the two words please let me know.

18. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Like a use nnot to omit a channel in the string?

19. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I just found another gotcha. I tried "(NASCAR RACING)" which should require a title that has RACING following NASCAR. However, that brought up a show called "3 Wide Life" and it has Nascar AFTER Racing, which is what you would get if you did not use "()". The complete title that is displayed on the screen is:

Sports, Auto, Racing. Meghan Kolb, Tony Rizzuti. The top NASCAR teams and drivers. Series.

I wonder if "()" may have been replaced by something else or dropped entirely.

20. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    NNOT is documented. AAND is not. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist but "AUTO AAND RACING" produces an empty set, which leads me to believe it is using AAND as a search term and not a boolean. AALL is said to be the boolean AND parameter, but "AALL (AUTO RACING)" is no more exclusive than just "(AUTO RACING)" which suggests "()" is doing something.