1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get all 4 networks in HD (Houston)??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by aggiekj, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aggiekj

aggiekj New Member

May 10, 2007
    I live in Houston and currently have DirecTV but only receive ABC and Fox in HD. I've been told (for years now) that the only way to get CBS and NBC is to use an off-air antennae.
    Let me note that I could care less if I get these chanels from "local" or if they come from New Jersey - I'd just like to be able to watch primetime TV on NBC and CBS in high-def.
    I tried the off-air antennae thing, and thought it was ridiculous. For on thing, I didn't enjoy having a contraption that looks like a spaceship sitting next to the TV. Putting it in an attic and running cbale etc was not an option. Just seemed like a pain.
    Now I have been told that for $200-$300 I can buy a new receiver that will allow me to get the other 2 networks that I am missing. However I am reading that there are alot of problems with that receiver.

So the question is this - am I missing something? Everytime I call DirecTV I get a different answer on what my options are. I'm starting to wonder if another carrier is a better option.
    Is getting the 4 basic networks in HD so much to ask???

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    According to the list we maintain here:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/hr20/html/DIRECTV_lil_list.html

Houston, TX... does have all 4 networks available for HD.

What type of Receiver do you have?
    Have you been setup for MPEG-4 Local reception?

Are the ABC/FOX you receive now the National DNS feeds (from NY/LA)
    Or are they your Houston locals?

3. aggiekj

aggiekj New Member

May 10, 2007
    I have the older HD receiver (HR10-250). The HD versions of Fox and ABC are not local, but I do get Fox and ABC locally on different channels.

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Well there you go. Your options are to bite the bullet and use an OTA or get an HR20. The HR10-250 cannot receive your HD locals and D* will not let you get the other national feeds without a waiver from your Houston stations, which isn't going to happen since they're available. Plus, you'll need the HR20 or H20 to get any of the new national HD channels.

5. aggiekj

aggiekj New Member

May 10, 2007
    Thanks. And rats.:nono2:

I've heard that receiver is chock full 'o problems, too.

6. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    That receiver has improved with each CE that comes down the line..

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I have 2 HR20's and love them. They've come a long way since being introduced. I even replaced my HR10-250 after 4 months of getting my 1st HR20.

8. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I've got two of the HR20's also, and they work just fine. Bite the bullet and let them give you what you want.

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I replaced my HR10-250 and have two HR20-600. It take a little bit to get used to it and the differences, such as no dual live buffers, but I really haven't missed the HR10-250 to make me regret my decision.

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Please... Let's hold off on "Mine isn't having problems"... "I like mine"..

To the OP aggiekj... we have a dedicated forum to the HR20...
    Where you can do some research to see how far the HR20 has come since it's release... and what problems (and to what magnitidue), they still exist.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and our member base will help you out (rather quickly usually).

11. nino2469

nino2469 AllStar

Mar 25, 2007
    I live in Baton Rouge and I am getting the national HD feeds for NBC and Fox, how do I go about getting the national HD feeds for CBS and ABC?

12. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Call D* and ask them to request waivers.

13. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    So let's dissect this a bit further...

The OP is from Houston, and has had his distant HD feeds for ABC and FOX for quite some time. That is because DirecTV has a blanket waiver for all networks where the network owns the local stations. In the case of Houston, ABC and FOX own their affiliates, while Belo owns the local CBS and Post-Newsweek owns the local NBC.

So you'd need a waiver from these stations in order to receive CBS and NBC in HD.

Except, the way the current law is written, if your local channels are available in HD, you are not entitled to a distant network, even with a waiver. Because DirecTV offers all four major Houston networks in HD, it is impossible to receive the distant networks in HD.

You would therefore need to change to the MPEG4 HD receiver (H20 or HR20) in order to get all networks in HD from DirecTV, unless you wish to do something unethical. :)

14. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    I switched to the HR-20 to get the HD locals because Fox 26 was weak in my part of town. I just want to ask why we never get PBS as an HD option. It is not offered in any market. I can live with the fact that CW is in low def, I have never even turned on that channel. PBS stikes me as one of those channels that would be neat to have in HD - like NG.

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Bandwith.....
    This is expected to change after the new Sats are launched.

16. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Another issue of two paradigms at play...

The current laws only allow PBS to declare must-carry on satellite systems. Therefore, there isn't a retransmission consent issue as all PBS stations declare must-carry.

However, this only works for analog, as there is not a law forcing digital must-carry at this time, save for Alaska and Hawaii local channels later this year.

So, technically, the reason there isn't a PBS station in HD on either DirecTV or Dish Network is because they aren't allowed.

17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006

Also, PBS wants DirecTV and Dish to carry all the PBS digital programming including the subchannels, see this http://www.tvpredictions.com/pbs021207.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.