1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I tell if external HDD is being used on HR44-500?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Guitar Hero, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1 of 39
    Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    I have a brand new HR44-500. Got it just yesterday, Oct. 1, 2013. However, I'm not too sure if the external HDD is being used since it comes with a 1TB HDD. How can I tell if it is being used, besides calculating how much percentage is left after recording a few movies?

It's a 4TB HDD.

The external HDD was turned on after being connected to the HR44-500 and then the HR44-500 was turned on for the very first time. Downloaded all the software and such. Would it use the external for all that?

2. Oct 2, 2013 #2 of 39
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    As others have suggested, record a few shows to your internal drive before you start using the external. That way if you see those shows on the playlist, you'll know the DVR is using the internal. And the shows should be something unique that you wouldn't normally watch so if you see them, you'll know the internal is in use.

3. Oct 2, 2013 #3 of 39
    Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    OK, so I should unplug my receiver, turn off the external HDD and then plug the receiver back in. If there are recorded shows on the HDD, it means I never used the external.

That's the only way?

4. Oct 2, 2013 #4 of 39
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You can calculate the percentage of drive space used.

5. Oct 2, 2013 #5 of 39
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    If you disconnect your eSATA drive and your recordings are still there then you have been recording to the internal drive all along.

6. Oct 2, 2013 #6 of 39
    Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    I turned off the HDD and unplugged the receiver. After waiting about a minute, plugged the receiver back in and all the recordings were still there. I knew I was recording to the internal the whole time. The percentage was too low for the 4TB.

So, I unplugged the receiver again, turned on the HDD, and plugged the receiver back in after a minute of waiting. The recordings were still there. It looks like it's not using the HDD at all. Now what can I do?

Should I keep trying it? Or do something else? This is a brand new HDD and external closer. Test it on a PC first?

7. Oct 2, 2013 #7 of 39
    lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    The 44s have a problem recognizing a new external drive.
    Some have reported success by connecting the eSATA to a PC first; the 44 then recognizes the drive when it is reconnected.

On my 44-500, I connected the eSATA to a different receiver (HR24), then hooked it back up to the Genie, which recognized it and reformatted the drive.

You can also check if an external drive is working by running an advanced test. Restart the receiver from the menu, and press SELECT when the "Running SelfCheck" message appears. An advanced test menu will soon appear. You can skip through the tests until you reach the one to check the external drive. If the receiver sees the drive, it will list the model and serial numbers.

8. Oct 2, 2013 #8 of 39
    Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    OK, just connected it to a PC. It shows up just fine. But, should I reformat it? I don't want to since I think this might screw it up.

Oh, it's shows 'Unallowcated' in the description, but show the HDD capacity. 3,700 GB (4TB).

9. Oct 2, 2013 #9 of 39
    Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    OK, connected it back to my HR44 and now there's nothing in my playlist. But, my 'To do list' is empty! Is that a sign it's on the external? I have to do all that over again?

THis time, I unplugged the receiver from the back panel power connector and not the plug from the power strip. Did I do something wrong?

ALSO! My Favorites list is gone! Is this also a sign it's now using the external HDD?

10. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Sounds like it's seeing the eSATA.
    You will have to schedule recordings again, as those commands are stored on the internal drive that's no longer active.

11. Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    How do I 'restart' the receiver from the menu? There's not option to 'restart' the receiver. Only 'reset' and some other options.

12. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    restart=reset
    It dose sound like the external drive is in use finally Yay. as mentioned all personal settings are stored on the HDD on DVR's so you will need to set them up again.

13. Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    Thank you! Thanks to you all for the help! I greatly appreciate it! :)

Did the restart and ran the 'test external HDD' test and it showed up! Back on and the playlist is empty! I'm now using my external HDD!

Thanks again, everybody. :)

14. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    No problem.

15. Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    I guess connecting a brand new HDD and external case to a PC first was the key. It looks like it needed to download active drivers first, before connecting to the DirecTV receiver.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Yup, you're on the external now. You'll have to setup your series links, favorites, etc, again.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I still recommend you record something unique to the internal drive. Like CSPAN or Oprah. Something so unusual that if you see it, you'll know you're back on the internal drive.

18. Bruce M.

Bruce M. AllStar

Oct 31, 2009
    Interesting. I fired up a 3 TB WD drive with a Thermaltake enclosure attached to a new HR44 and the receiver saw it immediately. Is that just a luck of the draw type thing?

19. Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    More like, I'm that unlucky. LOL

20. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Maybe. I had the same drive/enclosure combination (maybe not the same models, but the same brand/size, connected to my HR44-700 and had the same problem. Connecting the hard drive to my PC and initializing the disc took care of the problem. Which model HR44 do you own?