1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I upload a clip to YouTube from my recordings?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by richard1428, Aug 29, 2013.

1. richard1428

richard1428 Cool Member

May 6, 2010
    How can people upload clips from tv shows to YouTube? What do I need if I want to upload something from my recordings?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You can't directly from a DIRECTV DVR. You'd need a way to record to a of then upload it to you tube from there.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You also need to be very careful about what you're uploading as most of what DIRECTV provides is strictly copyrighted in whole and in part.

4. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    There isn't a way to directly transfer recordings. There are solutions to capture video/audio output and send to a computer, such as the Hauppauge HD-PVR2, which I have and works well. But what harsh said is true - really, EVERYTHING you see is copyrighted and you'd need the content owner's permission to upload to YouTube. That thousands of people disregard this every day doesn't make it right....

5. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    So now you see why so many YouTube videos involve someone pointing their phone's camera at their TV screen.

Incidentally, there are copyright exemptions for "fair use" that could make it okay to post TV show clips to YouTube without previous permission in certain contexts -- but the vast, vast majority of uploads of TV content to YouTube don't qualify as fair use.

6. richard1428

richard1428 Cool Member

May 6, 2010
    Sounds like I will be buying the hauppauge pvr. I'm not looking to upload entire episodes because they get taken out because of illegal distribution. But for ex there is always some curious moments of live tv that you can find on YouTube without been flagged