How can I watch or backup HR34 when moving to a HR44?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kspeters, Sep 23, 2014.

1. kspeters

kspeters Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 12, 2003
    Switching to hr44 from a hr34 and I have several hours of recordings on the 34. Is there a way to run the receivers side by side for a while so I can record to the 44 while watching the 34s recordings? Or is there another solution to this problem?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No way to do that. You can't have more than one Genie DVR active on your account, so you'll need to return the HR34 when the HR44 is installed. Do you already have the HR44? If so, you could view or copy those HR34 recordings to a DVD Recorder/VCR before you install and activate the HR44.

3. kspeters

kspeters Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 12, 2003
    No way to record or copy them to a hard drive and then plug it into the 44 to watch them?
    This really seems stupid to me,,,,I know DTV does not want you to pirate movies or what ever but there should be a way to back up your schedules and recordings if only for a limited time.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Most of us think there should be a way to do this, but there isn't.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As stupid as it may seem, there is no way. Only thing that can be carried over is OTA recordings

6. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Right. No way to do that.

7. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I was able to do this. Complicated though. I claimed that the video playback was breaking up on some recordings. Directv sent a technician the same day and he replaced it with a hr-44 for free. I easily convinced him to leave the 33 so I could watch all the recordings. He said sure. Just leave it disconnected from coaxial cable. I watched every recording then called directv. Been two weeks and still no recovery kit. I don't think they want a broken hr-33 back.

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Magnavox HDD DVD recorder will make an SD (NOT HD!!!) DVD if your kid was on the news with his record setting little league homerun.

I had some Civil War re-enactors want B/W prints of their blip on the local news. Wound up freeze framing the footage and killing the color in the TV picture adjustment menu and photographing the TV screen.

LOL, if you want it bad enough . . .

:coffee

9. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You were lucky. Once the DVR's satellite feed is disconnected, it can become a boat anchor within a few days.

10. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I have heard that and the opposite. The tech was sure that wouldn't happen and it took me over 1 month to clear out the hard drive. op wanted to watch (like me) not record. Big difference. I really did have a video problem yet I told tech that those were deleted and I never demonstrated problem. I got them out there by saying signals were low. The whole system (32 tuners max setup) was actually fine. He was more than happy to get rid of the 34 and so was I. On a dead box the recordings would reset to the beginning so I had to watch all the way through or lose my spot.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The typical problem is that they want the replaced box back in their hands within 14 days (if they want it back at all).

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Actually is 21 days!!!

13. pnyberg

pnyberg Mentor

Oct 31, 2007
    Just got done swapping out an HR34 for a HR44-700. RF problems. Had been planning this so down to just a few recordings. Playback while disconnected is fine, unless you remove the access card. All the records are keyed to that. Don't know how long I have, but I have an old DirecTivo HD that still plays content. I plan on swapping out at end of week, still waiting on recovery kit.

14. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The Tivo-based DVRs will let you play those old recordings forever, even without an active satellite connection. That's not the way the newer DVRs work, though. It's hard to predict how long you'll have before you won't be able to play those recordings any more.

15. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I just found a printout of my equipment list just after I got the hr-44 dated July 31. So I have had it almost 2 month now. I'm guessing if it was working they would have called. Since it's broke I can't get them to take it. I don't want to be billed $400 later on so I will keep bugging them. Guess I kind of lucked out. I had a bunch of nfl games I hadn't watched yet. I just decommissioned a fairly new working hr-24 and they don't want it back either. I called for the recovery kit Sept. 06.