1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can VIP722k use SD feed of ch by default on TV2 when typing in chl on remote?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by gor88, Jun 24, 2010.

1. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Is there a way to have the VIP722k default to the SD feeds of channels when you enter the channel number on the remote for the TV2 output? My mother likes to type in the channel number and will get the HD feed downconverted instead of the available SD feed. Examples include ABC Family, Hallmark, TBS, etc. Granted ABCFamily HD is not there now.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    create a Favorites list of the SD channels, then get the person in the habit of hitting guide first (selecting the SD list), then the channel number <enter>

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If you really are foolish enough to want to only watch the SD versions of the channels on TV2 just go to TV2 and lock out the HD channels and then it should go directly to the SD version.

4. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    You could just disable the map down feature. That way all channels like 139 would only be SD, and you would have to go to the 9xxx for the HD version.
    Go to menu, 6(System Setup) 9(Local Channels), then select Chan Display in the middle row. Disable the Dish HD Channels. That way you wont see 139 HD anymore.
    You could also just do the reverse of what I do as well, and lock out the HD channels. Go to menu and then 5(locks) 2 (channel locks) and then highlight the HD version of the channel, for all the ones in question. Its easy to tell which is which as the HD says HD.

5. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Thanks, Grumpy Bear, I will try this when I get home. For the second VIP722k's TV2, my mother uses an old 13" Color CRT. The HD versions look a bit bizarre, while the SD feeds look proper. Mom doesn't watch any HD only channels, so it shouldn't be a problem to do one of these things on her output.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Show her how to use the format button in the lower left of the remote to fill the screen with a cropped 16X9 picture.

Or buy her a nice 32 inch HDTV, she'll really appreciate it.