1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How come cable has more HBO/Cinemax channels than we do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Struff, Jan 24, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Struff

Struff AllStar

Dec 23, 2008
    Sorry if this has been discussed in the past, I couldn't find it in a search.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Because of contracts...

3. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    My guess would be that they're not a priority to DIRECTV.

4. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    !rolling
    Because we have more of everything else

!rolling

5. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Since Directv doesn't carry HBO Comedy or HBO Zone, but does carry east and west feeds of HBO, HBO2 and HBO Family, doesn't this mean they have more HBO channels?

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Wow, a question straight out of 2001. ;)

7. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Yeah, 8 years later and we still don't have them. :nono2:

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Because if they offered more channels it would cost them more money both in payments to HBO and in bandwidth on their satellites. They have determined that people will pay for what they offer and that offering more channels for the same price won't substantially increase their income.

9. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I am plenty happy with more of the other channels, I do not even sub to any premiums anymore as I find they just repeat crap too much.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yep. And with their growth compared to Dish and cable they obviously don't need them either. :D

11. Struff

Struff AllStar

Dec 23, 2008
    My mom's cable system in FL has all of the channels and all of the E & W feeds.

But given a choice I would rather have the other channels over the West feed anyway.

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The E & W are not a huge deal if you have a DVR, but for people with standard receivers it is quite nice.

13. commodore_dude

commodore_dude AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    I'd rather lose the West feeds and pick up the extra channels. I got a lot of use out of HBO Comedy when I had Comcast, and while I wouldn't go back to cable just for that (I only have HBO because of the 3 months free from moving anyway) it just doesn't make much sense to me.

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Most national programming providers carry more different HBO channels than DIRECTV.

15. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Anything to keep costs down is a good thing to me.

16. crasmus22

crasmus22 Mentor

Jan 12, 2009
    It all comes down to money for DTV

17. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    I think it's basically a question of how each television provider chooses to use limited resources. The limited resource in this case is bandwidth. DirecTV has made a commitment to sports programming and it is what differentiates them from every other provider. But that commitment comes at a cost of bandwidth. It make sense, to me anyway, that they would make up this cost by not having as many pay movie channels as their competitors who do not have their sports programming. Otherwise, they would have to cut more core programming.

In an ideal world, D*, and everyone else, would have unlimited bandwidth and could offer every channel under the sun. Until then, they have to make choices as to which set of channels offer the best value to their customers and we as customers must decide which television provider is best suited for our needs.

18. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Channels? Yes.Programming? That I believe is the issue because I believe the last time I read an answer on this issue was that DirecTV determined that alot of the same programming was gradually being shown on the HBO channels DirecTV provides.Now I for one am glad that DirecTV shows both East and West channels of HBO Family because I believe HBO needs more family programming.:)

19. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    It's all a matter of priorities.

HBO/Cinemax appears to be pretty far down the list of DirecTV priorities at this point.

Jeff

20. studdad

studdad Icon

Aug 11, 2008
    +1, now if there was a sports channel, you would have it "like yesterday." In addition, HD PPV also seems to be one of their top priorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.