1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you transition to your new e-SATA drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Hollingshead, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Hollingshead

Hollingshead Cool Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I've wanted to add an external drive to our HR20-700 for ages since the price of drives has collapsed, but I was never sure how to switch without continually switching back and forth. Then I had the bright idea to use my seldom used HR20-700 upstairs to start recording all our series and then I could just switch it with the one downstairs that we use all the time and, bingo, all our shows would already be there.

Well, it hasn't really worked that way. Keeping the one upstairs synched with the one downstairs has been tough, and it seems like there is always stuff downstairs that we have to watch before I can swap, and then there's more, and more, and you get the picture.

So then I thought, maybe I'll have them both downstairs for a while and we can switch back and forth. I can connect one through the component ports to my AVR, but I only have one satellite feed for it.

Can I disconnect the one and just watch what's already recorded on it and then move it upstairs and hook it back up to the satellite, or will it complain continually about the lack of a satellite?

And do you folks have any other suggestions on how to phase in my new 2TB external drive that is busily recording stuff that no one is watching?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. jstutman

jstutman Mentor

May 27, 2010
    as far as hooking up with no signal. There several posts here on that it can be done.

3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr Legend

Mar 1, 2008
    On a slow recording night (where 1 DVR can handle it), copy the internal to your external drive. Next slow night, copy the other DVR.

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I got tired of switching drives (especially without a comprehensive play list). I found the best time to establish what drive to use is, as one of our posters here puts it, "while you can still see the UPS truck's tailights disappearing down the street". My policy is to pop the hood on any DVR coming in the door, whether a replacement or an addition, and drop in a 2 TB EADS or EVDS before ever powering it up for the first time (put their drive back in if you ever ship it back). No muss, no fuss, done deal.

5. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I got an external hard drive and hooked it up before I recorded my first shown on my downstairs DVR, so no transition was necessary... that time. After two years of service, my Seagate FAP 750 gave up the ghost and I had to switch over to the internal drive (losing a LOT of shows in the process). I tried to get the old drive fixed but Seagate sent a replacement instead. I decided to get another drive (a WD 1 Tb "My DVR Expander") and went on a TV-watching frenzy until we'd watched everything that was on the internal drive, then plugged in the new drive and re-set up the recordings, etc.

It's weird that now that I have an external drive that's a third bigger than the old one, I'm keeping FAR fewer recordings. It's rarely more than 10% full. I could easily have stayed with the internal drive. I guess the shock of losing all those movies (all six Star Wars films in HD and you can't even get them on Blu-ray yet!) has really curbed my desire to keep a lot of recordings around. Hard drives are generally reliable, but they don't last forever!

6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Couple of options.

1) Copy the internal to an external. Good instructions here how to do it.

2) Put the external on the seldom used HR and get MRV. Shows then record on the one you are not using to watch live TV, so you wil usually have a free tuner for live TV, but you can watch all your shows from either DVR.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds like he has 2 HR20's already he could just order MRV.

8. Hollingshead

Hollingshead Cool Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Good suggestions. Thanks.

MRV is intriguing, but I thought I had to re-wire to use it. I'll spend some time reading up on it. It does mean another monthly charge though, right? My DirecTV bill is really getting out of hand.

Also, I didn't know it was possible to copy internal to external. I'll search around for that info. It would violate my lease, I assume.

And, that "TV-watching frenzy" would solve the problem, but with the hours that my wife and I both work, getting the shows watched is clearly the weak link in my TV system. That's why I need so much storage!