How difficult to aim dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rod Williams, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Cool Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I have a second dish aimed at the 61.5 satellite and would like to redirect it to see the 129 bird. I have talked to a local guy and he said he could re-aim it for about $50. Just wondering how difficult to do it myself?
    Thanks

2. Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23 Legend

Sep 18, 2004
    Since you probably don't have a signal finder / meter try the following: Select
    Menu-6-1-1 on your remote, Check Angel, enter ZIP code in box and Satellite 129 and Dish 300 and select. The Azimuth given will be magnetic (compass) not true.

Set Elevation to exact value given above, it will be less (lower) than your Dish 500 and point the dish to same Azimuth as your 500. Then sweep to the right slowly while your SO (I hate that term) is watching the TV and yelling at your or is on the cell phone to you, and peak for biggest signal. Bingo, you are set. Hope there are no trees in the way or the 500 is not in the way. After you got it peaked do a check switch to make sure all is OK

Good luck.:)

3. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    It's not that hard as long as your pole is plumb, straight up and down. Get the approximate azimuth and apparent (according to your compass) angle from the receiver and start from there. As Shellback said, go slooowly left-right until you get the best signal qualify. I'd want to add that at that point, you should go slooowly up-down to peak the signal on that axis as well.

Have fun!

4. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    It isn't that hard to aim the dish, as already described. BUT, you didn't mention what receiver you were using and many won't list Az or El angles for 129. Even worse, some won't ever show a signal strength if you have chosen an MPEG4 Transponder and you are using a 942 (MPEG2) receiver.

BEFORE moving anything, I'd suggest taking a pencil or marker and make a line through both sections of the mast and another where you have Elevation now. If you have trouble with 129, it is WAY easier to put things back to marks than to go looking for 61.5 again.

5. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Cool Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Thank you all for the help. I will give it a try next pretty day.
    Rod

6. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    This was an old thread but I want to move my 61.5 wing to 129, well I don't REALLY want to, but since the HD RSNs are mainly on 129 I'm going to try it. The problem is that my 622 won't give me azimuth and elevation for that slot, no matter what dish I tell it I'm using, is that because I already have 61.5 on a wing??? I know I can start with the Azimuth of the 500 but what about elevation? My zip is 41005 is that helps anyone to help me - thanks!

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Azimuth: 237 (true) 242 (magnetic)
    Elevation: 26

ps: have you told your ViP622 that you want to check signal on 129?

8. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Thanks Harsh, I changed the settings to all the different dishes but if I choose 129 as the bird it doesn't matter what other information I put in, I just get "N/A" for all the settings.

Thanks again!!

9. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
  10. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007

unless your "Tim Allen" (aka Home Improvement)

11. eckertman

eckertman Legend

May 20, 2005
    Woodstock,IL
    You are right about that. I do miss my TBS. Oh well. Saving money is more important to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.