1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I access settings on new router?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by JohnGfun, Apr 29, 2005.

1. JohnGfun

JohnGfun Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2004
    I recently signed up for Verizon Online DSL. A Modem/Wired Router/Wireless Router came free with a one year contract. When I put in the address to access the router settings, it brings up a username and password box. I have already tried "admin" and that does not work.

John :)

2. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
  3. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
  4. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
  5. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    Thanks

6. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
  7. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    gotta love google :grin:

8. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    Tell Me About It!!!

9. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    I thought I would like DSL and opposed to Cable But I don't. I don't like because I have to sign in with DSL. Oh...Well....I can live with it. Its a tad faster Plus it is $20 cheaper then Cable. My Cable internet was $50 and Verizon DSL Is Only $30. Believe me...I can live with the signing in. :D

10. BuckeyeChris

Apr 20, 2004
    Hmm... I have SBC Yahoo! DSL and I don't need to sign in. I can open up Internet Explorer and surf wherever I want. My user name and password are saved in the modem's software and my connection is always on. Check your settings to see if you don't have the same thing, it's possible that it's some kind of security setting that you can disable. You might also want to contact Verizon support to see if this is the case.

11. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    Ok...I'll do that...Thanks!

12. BuckeyeChris

Apr 20, 2004
  13. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Great help Chris!!! I spent quite a while getting that sort of setting correct on another setup about a year ago. I could have just posted here and waited for the answer!!!!

DSL is considered to be somewhat more secure as you don't share the network like you do with a cablemodem. However, since many people only have 1 broadband option in their area, either dsl or cable beats dial up hands down.

14. BuckeyeChris

Apr 20, 2004
    Glad to have helped!

Before I got SBC Yahoo! DSL, I had Road Runner cable broadband which was a good service. My speeds with Road Runner were a little bit faster for the price I was paying, but my DSL speed is more consistent.

Either way you go, it's important to secure your PC/connection by using a firewall (software and/or router NAT type), anti-virus and anti-spyware protection. If you go wireless, then enable your wireless access point's security settings such as WPA (best) or WEP (good), and do MAC filtering. Change your passwords frequently and make them non-dictionary words with numbers in them so that hackers can't break them easily.

15. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I am not sure if you ever got the answer

The password for the modem/router is "password"

16. JohnGfun

Jan 16, 2004
    Yes...I got it...Thanks Anyway!