How do I block Genie Remote Stations from Deleting Recordings?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Joe Schmuck, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck AllStar

Nov 6, 2007
    Hello,
    I have an HR44-200 (with an external 3TB drive), two C41-700, and one C51-500.

My scenario is: My father now lives with my family and he will delete everything that has been recorded because he thinks what he seen on his TV must be his recordings. We have lot a lot of recordings this way and it can be a bit frustrating, but thankfully it's only TV.

On the main unit (HR44) under the Whole-Home settings, Share Play List, it is set to YES and Allow Deletions from this device only. I was hoping this would stop the problems but it didn't and now I suspect this feature is only for a second DVR.

So I'm looking for options on how I could block deletions from a remote Genie (C41/C51), if such an option exists. If that is not possible then I'm willing to install a second DVR just for my father but I suspect that it would need to be limited to 2 tuners and of course work over SWM, but most importantly it cannot see the recordings on the HR44.

I do have a second DirecTv dish with SWM setup but I haven't used it in a while, who knows if it still works but it's under the maintenance contract so if it needs repair or alignment, that should be covered (it's on the roof with a very steep pitch, not for this old man to climb these days).

I appreciate any answers but what I'd like to hear is I can connect a second DVR to the spliter and it will not see the HR44 recordings. What I think I'll hear is I need to put the second DVR on it's own antenna. I'm not sure how an apartment building would handle something like this if they used a single antenna, I suspect they have special hardware for that.

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You can definitely add a DVR and tell the Genie to not share its recordings (minis are considered an extension of the Genie and are not considered sharing for this function) You say apartment building, is this your personal dish? If so you will be fine as the SWM LNB has 8 channels available and a Genie plus DVR is only 7 tuners. However if it is a master system you will have to check with the operator as you may not have more channels available.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You can a DVR or an HD receiver (no recording capabilities). But you have two options with those from the Genie. You can share the playlist to all devices (other units can watch the shows), but you can say Yes or No to allow other devices to delete the shows. But like longrider said, that doesn't work with the minis.

So you could get another device for your father, allow him to watch shows that have been recorded to the Genie, but not allow him to delete those from his location. If he doesn't need to record, then an H25 is a great device.

4. Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck AllStar

Nov 6, 2007
    I greatly appreciate the responses and the fact that they match. So it sounds like I'll be getting a normal HD DVR and turning in one of the minis. The sad thing is, I should have held on to one of my old HD DVRs when I replaced them with the Genie, but at the time I had no idea my dad would be living with us.

The comment about the apartment complex, it was there as an example since there must be hardware to separate the units. I own my house but wanted to approach this from the attitude that there must be a separation. I can't handle people complaining that grandpa deleted everything again.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Depending how much your father records, you could go with just an H25 receiver. He will be able to record to the Genie with that and your setting Only A─║low Deletions from the Genie would stop him from deleting shows on the Genie.

Going with the H25 will save you $100 from DIRECTV lists pricing.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd get him his own DVR. Then there's no chance of issues and other than up front no monthly cost difference anyway.

And I would not use a second dish if you don't have to. You already have the wiring in place that will support it off one dish. Just block his from being able to delete and you will be all set.

I'm assuming you only have the genie DVR now...

7. Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck AllStar

Nov 6, 2007
    Well I just ordered a new HD DVR to replace the mini, not extra costs, direct swap. They said it was due to loyalty. I'm had an account with DirecTv since 2001, it's been a long time. So the installer (I tried to talk them out of it but what the heck) will be doing the swap tomorrow. Almost got the TiVo version but the girl had a difficult time getting the computer to do what she wanted so we went with the DirecTv version. I use to have several TiVo DirecTv DVRs back in the day, in fact we cleaned out the closet and I tossed it out a few weeks ago. Back in those days you owned the equipment.

8. Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck AllStar

Nov 6, 2007
    I appreciate the advice i received. The new DVR has been in place for a few days and my dad cannot delete the rest of the family recordings :) so we are happy campers once again. And there was absolutely no cost and no changes in our monthly payments, it was basically an even swap. But I did have an older DirecTv antenna on the roof and I asked the young kid if he could remove it. He said "sure thing" and then it was gone. I tipped him $20 to do that but didn't ask or even hint towards a tip. He was much better that the last person I had out at the house looking to take any advantage he could. The previous person got me to write him a check for hardware that "wasn't covered". During the phone survey it was discovered by DirecTv that he charged me for covered parts. His supervisor brought me back my check with an apology. Bet that guy didn't keep his job for long.

So again, thanks for the great advice.

jimmie57 likes this.
  9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Glad it worked out.

When they removed the old antenna, did they leave the base in place? If they removed the entire assembly, you need to ensure the holes were sealed.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    To answer this question, a BSF (Band Stop Filter) is used in MDUs to prevent sharing among apartment units. Although BSF would not work in your situation if both units are connected to the same LAN. A BSF work in MDUs because folks (are expected) connect the DVRs to different LANs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck AllStar

Nov 6, 2007
    Yes, the base plate remains. If not it would be very wet in my house, we have had very good rain for the past few days and more coming.

Hum, well I could have connected it to a different WAN IP, that would have been easy for me as i am provided two different WAN IPs from my ISP and I do run two firewalls, one for each. I normally only use the second IP for testing VMs that need to be outside my home network.

But I'm glad it was just a simple DVR install and all was set.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    My post was regarding multiple DVRs in a MDU environment. As it was mentioned before there is no way to isolate a mini

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck AllStar

Nov 6, 2007
    I completely understood, I was only stating that I could have provided two WANs if that were all it was but of course that is not the case.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk