1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I check for dish feed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jaguar325, Aug 2, 2010.

1. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    My son just moved into an apartment that had pretty substantial pre-wiring done. I am assuming the previous tenant had D* because there was a splitter with a D* logo on it and another small device in the connection box that was marked "SWM".

The place is kind of a mess in terms of figuring out what cabling has been done and where it goes so I suspect I will spend a few hours this week with my pinger trying to trace all the connections for sat, TV, Ethernet, speakers, etc..

The one question I have have for you guys has to do with the old D* connections. I don't have SWM and neither did my son in his last place so we don't know what to look for. How many feeds should be coming from the dish? Is there some way to test them to make sure they are still connected? He's got an HR20 and H21 from his old place which haven't been shut-off yet so I thought we could try hooking them up but don't want to do something that would harm the DVR/receiver.

Thanks,

Big K

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The proper tools to use are expensive, and there's no cheap way to do it. I really recommend having an installer do it for you (i.e., call DirecTV).

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You need to know what dish is set up at the apartment.
    It is probably different than the one you have at the other places. This will need to be changed in the setup on each receiver.

Take a picture of the D* Logo thing and post that so others can tell you what it is. I can't.

4. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    The easiest way would be to use the HR20 before it gets disconnected and plug it in and see if you have signal. If yo do get a working signal, call DTV fo a full installation.

5. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    If I do this, do I need to use the SWM device left behind or will it work as a single "normal" feed without it?

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    A SWM8 looks like the attachment. There will be four cables from the dish and a power inserter (as shown in the attachment) will also be required. Two of those input cables could be run directly to a DVR.

Attached Files: