How do I enable VOD on my HR20-700???

Discussion in 'Service - DIRECTV On Demand CE Versions' started by Rockywwf, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT
    Not seeing how to enable it. Could I have some help?

Thanks in advance!

:confused:

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Step 1 was to download the CE software for the HR20-700 Friday or Saturday night. If you missed step 1 or don't have an HR20-700, forget it.

Step 2 is to be able to find the sticky thread with the title: CE's: How to enable DIRECTV on Demand

Step 3 is that you have been networked and that DirecTV approved your account for testing based on DirecTV properly identifying you as previously participating in CE's - there would be a line item on your billing for engineering charges with a charge of $0

Failure at any of the above means no VOD.

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Couple of questions ..

(1) Do you have 0x190 on your HR20-700? Press & Hold INFO to determine.

If the answer is 'no' then you cannot enable VOD.

(2) If the answer is 'yes' then how long have you had your HR20-700 connected to your home network?

4. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    In addition, the instructions can be found here. As say-what noted, if you don't yet have or just recently added networking to your HR20-700, then it is very unlikely that you will be able to enable VOD at this point.

5. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT

Damn, I must have missed the CE! Well that answers that.

Thanks all!

6. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No worries rockywwf .. Thanks for your continued participation. There will be other opportunities to contribute in the future and VOD will ultimately be available as a national release

7. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    Hey Say-What

Just an FYI I have that engineering charge on my account and the HR20 was just hooked the the internet on Monday. I have not participated in any CE's of any kind. I would but I have rarely looked at this CE board until I noticed the VOD stuff on Sunday. So, if I'm on the list because of the engineering charge of $0 that would be great. Am I missing something??

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I suspect that if that charge is there that you will have access to VOD. None of us know the exact criteria that was used, but the overriding theme seems to be that if you have the FEO charge then VOD is enabled.

9. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I mentioned the engineering charge because that seemed to be part of the process or a common element based on other posts. But, something did go wrong on DirecTV's end in processing their data where people who were supposed to be authorized for VOD were not and some who weren't, were. If you have the HR20-700, downloaded the latest CE (0x190) and follow the directions in the VOD enabling thread, you may very well be able to test VOD.

You need the latest CE to enable that portion of the software to use VOD, without the current CE, you're not going to get VOD just yet.

10. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    I'm at work now but I have 0x184 I think, it's 18 something. I'll just be waiting like everyone else, I'm hoping from what I read it won't be much longer.

Thanks guys!!

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    If it is 0x184, you actually have the VOD code and may be able to play around with it a little bit, although it's not recommended. If it's anything else, you're out of luck.

12. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    It's probably 18a since the thread in the HR20 forum indicates it went national over night and that's what is currently spooling on TP21 per Brott's site. I think 18a was the version with the code removed.

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    186 had it removed, so I'm sure 18A doesn't have it either.

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes, if you had 0x184, then you now have 0x18A .. no way around it.

15. sarfdawg

sarfdawg Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    Block Viewing Data Collection

I have this on my bill. I must have had a day where I was suffering from some paranoia. Did I just screw myself from VOD testing because of the line above?

Gracias, amigos.

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Nope, it's completely unrelated.

17. vollmey

vollmey Godfather

Mar 23, 2007
    Checked at lunch, your right 18a. I'll just keep waiting, hopefully it will be soon.

18. quickfire

quickfire Godfather

Nov 13, 2003
    I was able to get VOD within 10 minutes of Earls posting!!

I have from day 1 had my HR20-700 connected to my internet though my wired Linksys router!!

I remember about a month ago I had D* install a HR20-100 in my bedroom and I called D* to ask them about VOD and the CSR told me I was NOT going to be able to receive all of D* HD and Broadband programss !!!

Of course i asked and was told that I was not listed as a TIER 5 HD account.......the CSR changed it for me!!!!

I dont know if the above things listed had anything to do with me be able to GET VOD or not but who knows?

PS I just checked my billing online and there is no listing other than my normal statements....go figure

19. sarfdawg

sarfdawg Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    Upon further review - my previous call as been reversed....

I have VOD! Life is good. Let there be cheetos and hand j--s for all my men!!