1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I force a switch of tuners (the 771 error on tuner 2)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rickeame, Dec 31, 2008.

1. rickeame

rickeame Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    This morning, like other mornings recently, I woke up to a DirecTV telling me the dreaded 771 error on tuner 2. The only recovery from that is the red button reset for me.

Can I force a switch to Tuner 1 so I can see if the problem exists there? This has been happening more frequently. I have had a tech out (twice), the dish realigned (twice), and the equipment checked. Everything is supposed to be "fine", but it's obviously not fine.

This is going to force me back to comcast, which pains me, but I can't keep having techs out and swapping dvr's every few months. This technology is way too twitchy. I have had two HR21 Pros, I have had two HR21-700's, I have lost shows, etc. It has to stop.

2. gmidkiff

gmidkiff Cool Member

May 8, 2007
    I have the HR20-100 DVR and experience the same 771 error on tuner 2 that so many people complain about.

If I want to watch one of the 771 error channels, I can force a tuner change by tuning a different channel that is getting the 771 error, press record. This starts recording on the second 771 error channel. Then tune back to the channel you want to watch. It has switched to tuner1 and is viewable. I then press 'List' and delete the channel I just started recording. As long as I don't switch channels, I can view the channel I wanted.

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Or when you experience the problem on Tuner 2 simply Tune to a Channel that you know you can get such as CNN and then Press the Record Button and then you can Tune into any channel because it will then be switching to Tuner 2.

4. bdcottle

bdcottle Legend

Mar 28, 2008
    I have a theory that it is a memory problem related to the number of series links you have. I had this problem a few months back and trimmed my series links from 47 to 38 and haven’t had the problem since. Unfortunely a software update happened at the same time so I am not sure. Can you tell me how many series links you have?

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I concur that it is more the number of recordings that you have than the amount of memory used.

6. John in Cal

John in Cal Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Not a recording or series issue. I only had about 10 series and only about two hours of recording on the drive. For me getting the HR20-100 replaced with a HR22-100 fixed the problem.

7. Jan 1, 2009 #7 of 35
    reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    same issue i have complained about since nov download of software , finally they are sending a tech to see me on friday 1-2-9.........
    so i will update if they get it fixed , if not U-Verse here i come ...or TWC ..hehehe

8. Jan 1, 2009 #8 of 35
    DtvSlave

DtvSlave Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    I have been having the same tuner 2 problem with my hr20-100. I must have missed the thread about the problem because I didn't know others where having the same problem.

I thought i was a b-band problem because once I loosen then retighten the b-band it goes away. Guessing now that, that solution must be luck.

9. Jan 1, 2009 #9 of 35
    bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    To all new members of Club 771....Happy New Year!

I have seen many reasons posted for this happening, but the most effective solution I have seen posted is a switch to a HR22 or HR23 series receiver.

10. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    that is fine as long as service tech has and is willing to do so ... if that is the issue

11. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    so after the tech was here for 2 hours today , placing new SWM , and cables , tweaking , ETC.. it still did it ....i had suggested to him to try a new
    HDDVR when he got here , he said no .....long of the short is ...
    i have a new HR23-700 hooked up now ....

12. JimAbbett

JimAbbett New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    You guys are life savers.

I have been battling this issue for months!!!!!!!!! I thought I was going crazy. I too could remove the cables and it would work for a little while then not work again. If the dopes would just have allowed us to toggle between tuners.

Thanks!!

13. bwclark

bwclark Legend

Nov 10, 2005

Sorry to see we lost a member, AND you confirmed the ultimate solution...a new receiver(other than a HR20). Planned obsolescence by DirecTV.

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I doubt it was planned. It has been obvious from the start that DIRECTV has never had much control over the HR20 software-wise.

15. Podkayne

Podkayne Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    I am a charter member of Club 771 :lol:

I would be delighted to trade in my HR20-100 for a 22- or 23-, if I could simply plug in my external 2Tb array that currently has about 150 hours of shows accumulated thereon and be able to watch them.

I suppose I will simply keep limping along with the switch channels/record/switch back/list/delete approach until my wife takes a hammer to the HR20 and puts it out of its misery.

Has anyone come up with a way to "port over" saved shows to a new DVR? One would think having the eSata drive in your hand already external to the box would make it fairly simple.

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No; recordings are locked to the receiver that made them. If you connect that drive to any other receiver, the receiver will format the drive.

17. blulite

blulite New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    I just found a fix to my problem. I've got two HR20-700's, hence four B-Band converters. After a lot of debugging, I tried swapping the B-Band converters between the two receivers, and the problem stayed with one of the two pairs of B-Band converters. A little further debugging, and I figured out which converter seemed to be bad.

I called DTV, and they are shipping me a new one. In the meantime, I think I may have discovered the problem with the B-Band converter. If you take the plastic cover off the converter, you'll notice the short stub cable is just an RG-6 cable that has been glued to the converter. I removed the short cable and replaced with a new one, and all seems to work fine.

Jeff

18. treaders

treaders Mentor

Oct 9, 2006
    I am experiencing the same 771 error on channels 133 through 137, 306, 360 and 501.
    Per thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148983

Transponder readings are 35% on satellite 99(c), which I believe carries these channels.

19. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    i unplugged my calvary from the hr20-100 and plugged it right back in and lost nothing , not even the to do list , or SL's i have set ...i am now trying to get a AM21 from them ...for cheap ..like $0

20. JoshFink

JoshFink AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    I was having this 771 issue for a while on my units.. Long story short they came out and installed a Zinwell WB616 16 port powered multiswitch and it fixed all my problems. They had daisy chained 3 WB68 (8 port switches) and evidently that's a problem with HD channels.

Josh