How do I get my HR-20 to reboot with some missing sat signals?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HDSeeker, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDSeeker

HDSeeker Cool Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I believe I lost 101 sat signal.
    I lost several channels including 247.
    The first thing the D tech did was tell me to reboot.
    Now I have lost all channels for 3 days until the tech people make a house call.
    Any way to get around this temporarily?
    It is getting stuck at the Guide download page.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Nope...

As of right now with the current software revisions, the unit will no fuction with no SAT signals.

3. HDSeeker

HDSeeker Cool Member

Dec 22, 2006
    It has everything but 101.
    And I noticed that all the even transponders have 0 signal strength all the odd transponders are around 97%.
    How is this?

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I had the same transponder issue last night, all even transponders at zero on 101. I had a second (unactivated) receiver, so I swapped them out. That seemed to fix it. But....I connected the first reciver in a different location and now it seems fine too. Now I'm really confused. :confused:

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Lose cabling that is now tight due to the move?

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I don't think so, but anything's possible.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Welcome to the world of RF cabling. It doesn't take much to act "bad" and then after a "re-mating" be good.
    I'm old & have a lot less hair than when I first started working in RF.
    "Wringing out" your cables would be a good thing to do. Any moister that has gotten in a connector, a bad connector or just one that isn't completely "snug" can cause some of your problems.
    While it might pass one voltage, it won't pass the other, so odd or even transponders are what you get.
    I think this has been "around" for a few days from all of the postings I've read.

8. HDSeeker

HDSeeker Cool Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I just swapped the LNB.
    Nothing changed.
    I am now going to swap the coax from the 13V and 18 V and see if the problem moves.
    If it does not move it must be the multi switch.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It looks like you're going down the right track...
    If you can "jumper" across the multi-switch, that should give you some idea of the cables you are using, too.
    Step by step, and you should find the "what or where". :D

10. HDSeeker

HDSeeker Cool Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I swapped the coax at the multi switch which was a double line with a ground wire attached that came straight from the dish.
    the problem move from odd to even.
    I believe that would mean the cable is indeed bad.
    All the odd transponders run through the 13 V and the even through the 18 V line.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    See ^^ & good going..:D

Keep this up and you can take a pay cut & become a service tech for D*. :lol:

12. HDSeeker

HDSeeker Cool Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I swapped the cable with a piece of coax I had here, and it's fixed.
    There is no visible damage on that piece of bad coax at all.
    It just proves coax is a strange animal.
    At least I don't have to wait until Tuesday night when the DTV repair guy was coming to watch TV again.
    I will make him crawl under the house to run the new line though. :lol:

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    See you found a good use for D*...:lol:
    And now you know why I don't have all of my hair anymore...;)

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Haven't "we" talked about checking your cables at the dish before?
    As you have seen there can be several [many] things or places to look for the cause of the problem. Everything works as a "chain" & while making one change might make you think that was the cause of the problem, since it is all interconnected, the real problem [or cause of it] might really be somewhere else in the chain.
    Thorough step by step troubleshooting, is the only way I know to isolate where the problem truly is [or comes from]. This would mean starting at one end, say the dish, and checking all of the connectors & connections. Haven't "we" discussed this before?
    Then working your way to the other end of the "chain" until you find the source of the problem.
    If you're not familiar with RF cabling, you might want to get someone that is, or learn about it yourself by going step by step & inspecting/replacing connector & cabling. If it is a bad LNB, multi-switch, or receiver it should be very repeatable. If it is cabling, it won't be as easy as it can/will depend on the mating of the cable, which can change with each time you remove it & then tighten it. "RF can be funny".

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Does your quotation key stick on your keyboard?

Yes, of course I would love to check the connections at the dish, as they are the only ones not yet checked. Unfortunately, Sir Isaac Newton's law of gravity prevents me from flying up there. So, until I find someone who owns a ladder long enough, those connections will have to wait.

Since swapping the cables at the box did nothing (which "we" discussed yesterday), I found it unlikely that the problem was anywhere other than inside the HR-20. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like a fair assumtion. Now someone (forgive me for forgetting who) suggested to someone else today with the same problem that unplugging the box for 15 minutes would correct the problem. The box was, in fact, unplugged for over 15 minutes during its relocation. Maybe he was right, and that is a tried and true solution. Maybe not. Either way, for now, both of my HR-20's seem to be behaving themselves.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I try to track the "postings" for system malfunctions. I "think" yesterday's was for a misbehaving tuner #2, but I could be missing your referenced post. If I have tracked yours..I remember it didn't work & the cables were swapped, but [again maybe I didn't "get it"] then you posted that it works in another location. Now a defective box shouldn't do this [normally], so it would go back to the cabling. Do you have a multi-switch? As this will change how the signals [control voltages] go to the dish.
    As with "today's" problem, it was the multi-switch to the dish which are "dedicated" control signals as opposed to "home run" cabling from the dish to each receiver.
    Knowing the system wiring can start to isolate where a malfunction is by "what" doesn't work.
    So, it looks like "there are" [no] (keys) that are sticking.... :)

17. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I thought the same thing, that a defective box wouldn't start working in a new location. That's why I was confused. But, since I have other boxes in the house that were error free, and swapping the cables at the box didn't change which tuner was malfunctioning (it was tuner 1, BTW), it seemed that the box was the logical answer. Again, I am hoping that the box being unplugged for 15 minutes as suggested by someone somewhere is what fixed the box.

I will, at some point, get that ladder and check the connections at the dish. Just to be sure.....

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Don't break your neck with the ladder, as you may just find [know] "where it isn't". Still part of the troubleshooting steps though.
    Let me know if I can help [short of getting up on the ladder :lol: ].
    Post or PM me if I can be of any help. :)

19. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Coax, or connectors, or moisture that has wicked into the coax. But it is a strange animal indeed.

I have a piece of coax going to a dish. Receivers work on this piece of coax and get decent signal readings.

But if I put a meter on it and measure current, it bounces all over the place, from zero to around 45 or 50 ma. Now I had other lines connected to the dish at the same time (4 outputs), so this one piece of coax wasn't providing the only power to the dish - but it has been used on a single LNB dish recently, and worked. Same meter, same receiver, same LNB connection with a different coax provides a stable current reading of around 22 ma.

I still have no idea why this particular piece of coax produces this symptom, haven't taken the time to troubleshoot it yet. I'm sure sometime along the way it would have produced signal or reception problems.

Carl

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The even odd transponder issue is almost always cable/connection related. I have never witnessed this issue end up being the box.

The problem is that cable/connections are sometimes harder to check and there can be a lot of them. You've got connections at the STB, possible connections at a multi-switch, possibly connections at a grounding block, and connections at the actual dish. They ALL have to be checked.

Even a tight connection could be bad, if the connector wasnt stripped and crimped correctly(I'm using crimped in the generic sense because they should all be compression fittings). Also, all coax should now be solid copper core RG-6, and not copper clad steel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.