1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get Nielson to change the DMA I'm in? (was Service Address)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by compnurd, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 25
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Ok, If this is wrong please lock this up right away as I am sorry i asked then.

I live a mile out of another DMA (Porland ME) that covers my area better then my current DMA ( Boston). If there a way to switch the service address so that i can recieve the Portland Local Channels instead? I know i am within the HD spot beam. Again if this should not be asked here, i apologize

2. Sep 7, 2007 #2 of 25
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    As it is a violation of your service agreement to list a service address that is not the correct service address for your receivers, I'll close this thread.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 25
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Ok,

I understand that it is against the TOS and i am fine with that, my next question is then is there anyway for me to get it switched?

Can i prove somehow i am WAY out of the Boston DMA and more in the portland DMA? Can i physically show someone on a map the mile difference in my DMA dilemma?

4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 25
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Unfortunately that is up to Nielsen Media Services (no relation), who define the DMAs.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #5 of 25
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Hmm, i guess i more or less would be looking for some kind of exception from D* since i dont think the whole town needs a DMA change. I just happen to live in the really eastern part of the town which is closer to ME then MA

6. Sep 7, 2007 #6 of 25
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The best you can do is explain it to the DirecTV CSRs...

But you are climbing an extremely uphill battle on that, as they have to go pretty much by the FCC regulations. The FCC DMA designations are based on that data.

7. Sep 8, 2007 #7 of 25
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I've read that DIRECTV uses one database and Dish uses another to decide "What DMA am I in." I think they both use zip codes, btw. So the tricky part is what DMA should your zip code be in. Rural areas can be really shortchanged. I was in a zipcode because I had a rural route number, the zip code was actually 10 miles away with 2 towns and zipcodes between us and the post office that served us.

You can try talking to verify with DIRECTV and you can try checking decsionmark, IIRC the database people.

As Earl said, very uphill battle. Good luck,
    Tom

8. Sep 8, 2007 #8 of 25
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know if this helps in this situation but it's worth pointing out, that when I lived in Boxford, MA we were in two different zip codes at the same time. One was for when we wanted parcels to go to the West Boxford post office and one was for when we wanted letters delivered to the house.

I also vaguely remember that when we stayed out on Lake Winnepesaukee (spelling?) the zip code of the hotel was for Laconia, even though the hotel was not in Laconia, it was in the middle of nowhere.

What I'm saying is that there may be a very valid argument for saying that you are in a different market just based on the zip code you may have a right to use.

9. Sep 8, 2007 #9 of 25
    Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    DMAs are based on counties, not zip codes.

Whichever TV market is viewed by the majority of households within a county, you are in that DMA. Even if your "side" of the county gets OTA from another market.

Sometimes DMA border counties flip-flop between markets, depending on changing viewership.

I've known TV a station that marketed news coverage to borderline viewership counties and later "brought them" into their DMA, as a majority of viewers started watching that market. A bigger market ranking can help boost ad revenue, since they can claim more potential households, and therefore raise rates.

I forget how ofter Nielsen Media Research re-ranks the counties and redraws the borders.

I think your only shot is if the zip code you are in crosses a county line into a different DMA. Then you might be able to "convince" a D* rep that you are actually in the other DMA.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    compnurd, they have to draw divisions lines somewhere...and when you draw lines, you are going to end up on one side of it or the other. What you want is almost like asking "since I live right on the edge of this county, cant you just annex me to the "other" county."

11. Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    Don't seek logic in an illogical world. Everything regarding your service has been determined by mindless bureaucrats whose thought processes do not include linear thinking. Also they will not change their minds no mater how good the argument.

Examples:
    Dish and Directv do use different methods to determine which service area you are in. Dish used to consider me in the Albuquerque New Mexico market which is 600 miles away. Now Dish considers me in the viewing area for stations 155 miles away. Directv doesn't think I'm in any viewing area so I get the national channels - which I prefer.
    When I added HD channels, Directv said I could only have New York HD. I live over 2,400 miles from New York and 1,100 from LA. I talked to several people at Directv, they all agreed that it didn't make sense but they couldn't change it. They talked about laws, agreements, and other vague reasons that were all beyond their control.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Tom,

I am very close to your situtation. This is one the thing i miss about cable(only thing) as i got locals for both DMA's.

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    A tough situation to be sure.

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Can you put up an antenna? If you have an HD receiver like the HR20 then you can get the locals you want OTA and it will integrate in with your guide and you'll never know the difference.

15. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    DirecTV is so stupid vs. Dish when it comes to DMA interpretations. I live in a DMA that only has ABC and FOX and is not on either providers system and hopefully never will be as far as I'm concerned. CBS and NBC come from a neighboring DMA which IS on both D* and E*. E* will turn on the CBS and NBC stations for it's customers in my area no problem at all. D* won't even consider it. Needless to say the VAST majority of dishes you see around here are E* dishes. Very very very STUPID on D*'s part.

Luckily I don't care. I get out of market locals on D* and I actually prefer it this way. Just illustrating how stupid D* is compared to E* on this subject and how it is affecting their market penetration in my area.

16. N5XZS

N5XZS Legend

Apr 25, 2002
    Check out this thread on this issue.....:)

Please support proposed bill H.R. 2821!!!:)

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=90570

Please contact our congress critters, so we can get out next door TV markets!!!:listenup: :goodjob:

9--8-07

17. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    D* knows what DMA you are in. But, since they don't yet have that market available, you have the "national channels" option. Once, if ever, they put your market on the bird you will lose the national channels and get your "locals".

Like I said earlier, some border counties flip-flop when viewing habits shift only slightly.

Dish didn't change your market, Nielsen Media did, and Dish was forced to change, too via FCC regulation.

Just because you are 600 miles away from the market's primary city, does not mean you are that far from one of its translator stations.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?stat...t2=&mlat2=&slat2=&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&size=9

Here is listing for all full power/low power/translator TV stations in NM. Maybe you can find the one closest to you, and see how far you really are from a transmitter in that market.

You could also search in TX for stations closest to you in that DMA.

FWIW...If you click on a station for more info, there is a "contour map" link that will show you the exact location of the transmitter. That can be very helpful when aiming antennas. :)

18. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Actually D* is following the letter of the law more closely and is very strict about it. E* has always been loose with the regulations which is why they've been sued at least twice by the Government for breaking the law, fined millions and lost those lawsuits. Note that D* has never been sued because they don't cross the line.

Personally I think it's all stupid and we shouldn't even have local affilitate stations anymore and just have a single national feed, but that will never happen while the NAB has the back pocket of congress.

19. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    Dunno anything about all that. What I am talking about is the LEGITIMATE local CBS and NBC affiliates for my area since they first went on the air more than 50 years ago.

Like I said. Dish subs get them. DirecTV subs don't. Like I said my Neilsen defined DMA only has ABC and FOX within it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at a map and figure it out.

DirecTV is nothing but very stupid from both a legal and financial standpoint about this particular situation.

Again, like I said, I don't care. My point is only to illustrate the sentence preceeding this one.

20. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    +1. Exactly. D* is just following the law that Congress passed. I have followed this Congressional battle since 1998. There have been numerous attempts by many, including efforts by Senator McCain who chaired the Senate version of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act who tried to get more liberal satellite digital TV into households. The NAB lobby got enough votes to defeat his proposals in the final SHVIA bill. So to get around this you will need more political power than McCain had in the fall of 1999 as chair of the Senate version.

A summary of the present Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act is at this FCC site:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/shva/

The defintion of "Improvement" depends on whether you are a viewer or the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB). This law has stiff penalties if a Satellite provider allows an ineligible customer to receive programming from some other network affiliate station "distant" from their DMA.

So don't blame D* here. This set of rules exists due to NAB protecting the network monopoly of local TV stations in each DMA, because their income depends on audience size. If audience viewer size is diluted by importing the same network programs from some other network affiliate, that local station's viewer ratings on Nielsen go down and their ad rates go down and their income goes down.

So follow the money ( including campaign contributions by NAB) and you will understand.:D

Edit: Be sure to read about the antenna options in the bill. There are exceptions if you can't get stations OTA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.