1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Know a D* Remote is the Latest Version

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shoeheel, Jan 22, 2011.

1. shoeheel

shoeheel Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    I'm looking to buy a new DirecTV RF remote. How do I know if I'm buying the latest version, with the latest device codes? The D* website does not seem to let me specify an RF remote control model number (RC64RBK vs RC65RBK). If I but one on Ebay or Amazon, assuming the RC65RBK is newer, how do I know I'm getting the latest build date (assuming with the latest device codes)?

2. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    RC65 is the latest model

R-Radio Freq
    X-2-way (not really needed unless you have an Hx24)
    B-backlit

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    And good luck getting a RC65RX which is what comes with HR24's. I had one that failed and DIRECTV refused to send me that model, said it was still 'experimental' and that was 6 months after the HR24 went public. Maybe things have changed now, I hope so.

4. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I have both the R65RX and R65RB and I can say that already, I know the R65RB does not include all the device codes the R65RX can access via the two-way communication.

Even trying trying program the newer code into the R65RB fails, so the programming is not in there and there's no way to get them there. The codes for the R65RX may be updating from the satellite or the firmware updates; new programming and codes are being added as time goes by and the model numbers are added to the make/model page when programming remote via the Hx24's 2-way capability.

My example: Latest code on the Samsung PNxxC800 uses code 12051 found with the RC65RX. I cannot program that code into the R65RB. I'm hoping when the TV set finally arrives, the older code 10812 will still work. Both codes work OK with the older Samsung but there's always a chance the volume change or directional arrows in TV menu will not work repeatedly if holding the button down.

Too bad they don't have the R65RXB model yet!

5. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    For the most part directv remotes are pretty cheap and lousy. Been that way for a long time. I don't have the latest greatest 65 but my RC64RB with football teams all over it gets me bye. Is the 65 that much better or is it more of the same old lame stuff with new codes? lol

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 65RX is pretty impressive when used with a 24. Wasn't when first introduced, but subsequent NRs fixed the problems.

Rich

7. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    All three look identical; same smooth buttons that beg for back-lighting to find the right button in the dark. And the buttons are still too close together.

It's lame if you buy the newer backlit remote thinking it's just as good or better than the RC65RX, only to find it's not much, if not any, better than the RC64RB or the NFL remotes! It's like buying a new GPS navigator and finding the maps are already outdated!

But they are cheap and maybe not so disappointing if the expectations are low. At least my RC65RB is still a working RF and back-lit solution for the bedroom. NO AVR and codes are current for those devices.

8. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    If the RC65RX is experimental, how hard would it be to add to that design. It lacks back-lighting, simple power macro that could easily be implemented automatically if an AVR is programmed and selected as the volume-locked device. And those horrible buttons could be shaped, textured and spaced further apart for ease & user comfort. And the Active and record buttons could be recessed and require a longer hold time to execute, IMO.

A good start but the layout is old and crude.

9. jake14mw

jake14mw AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    How well does RF work on these remotes? Is there much of a delay in performance? I just got a new LCD for the bedroom, and I'd like to put the HDDVR in the closet behind the wall, but don't want to be annoyed by delays.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All twelve of my HRs are in RF mode and I have no problems with any of them. I have some in other rooms than my TVs and have no problem with that. I see no delays at all.

Rich

11. shoeheel

shoeheel Legend

Oct 15, 2006
    They work great. I've used them to control multiple TVs connected to a pair of DVRs using 30ft HDMI Cables, 60ft+ coax cables and ~100ft composite and component cables, that I used my existing Category 5 home "pre-wire" as most of the 100ft. All with no delays. My RF remote control setup is the number 1 reason that I have not changed to another service provider. Or is it pure laziness?:lol:

12. STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have a RC32RF which is next to useless the keys stick or do not work at all.

13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Definitely covered by the protection plan.
    I got mine replaced by calling a CSR. After 3+ years the ON button no longer turned on both the TV and DVR. In fact it wouldn't turn on either.

I called on a Friday afternoon and got the replacement package Saturday morning. No hassle at all.

The replacement was a backlit model but I couldn't find a model number anywhere on the unit or even in the battery compartment.

Actually I'm a pretty happy camper as far as the DirecTV remotes are concerned.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Really, unless you're talking about the X-series remotes, the only difference is the number of other devices supported. I've had remotes from RC21 to RC65X and the lay person could not tell the difference.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not even in the upper left corner of the remote? Should be just to the left of the sliding selector switch.

Rich