How do I use genie with Ethernet connection?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by osu-guy, Dec 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dec 2, 2015 #1 of 78
    osu-guy

osu-guy New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I just had a Genie along with several Genie minis installed yesterday, including the new 4K Genie mini. Both the DirecTV agent on the phone and the installer recommended that I use only wireless connection instead of the ethernet connection available for the genie. After reading through a few of the forums on here, there seems to be a lot of misinformation from DirecTV about this. Wouldn't the wired ethernet connection always be better (when available) instead of wireless? If I want to use the ethernet connection, should it be as simple as connecting ethernet to the genie and then rebooting the genie? All I have in the house is the genie and genie minis – nothing older. By the way, all of the minis are using a coax wired connection. None of them are connected wirelessly. Not sure if that matters or not.

2. Dec 2, 2015 #2 of 78
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Wired or wireless? It really depends on signal strength - if your wireless Signal is strong it can be as solid as wired connection so really not much different - just a matter of your preference.based on your experience.

3. Dec 2, 2015 #3 of 78
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct, to switch to ethernet all you need to do is connect the ethernet cable from your router to the Genie's ethernet port and do a red button reset.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

4. Dec 2, 2015 #4 of 78
    MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    My home was prewired with 2xCat5e and 2xRG6 in every bedroom and the two main living room areas. I have D-Link and LinkSys GigE switches connecting all the wired ethernet.
    I have an HR34 Genie with two wired clients, along with an HR23 and an HR24.

The 'unsupported' wired Whole Home is the way to go for me. I do have an N-Class D-Link wireless access point, but there are so many other wireless networks in the area that using wireless for video would be frustrating.

I think it is a basic misunderstanding of how wireless networking works and the fact that they don't want to have to troubleshoot your network.

I can tell you that the Genie clients (C41) seem to work flawlessly and are able to get to programming on the two non-Genie HR's through the built-in DECA on the hard-wired Genie.

If you have a hard line, use it, it will be much more reliable. If you have an area where it is problematic or nearly impossible to drop a hard line, use a wireless client.

5. Dec 2, 2015 #5 of 78
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I would argue that with very rare exception, wired is better than wireless. If it is convenient to go wired, do so.

6. Dec 2, 2015 #6 of 78
    alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I run ethernet over the RG6 signal cable (DECA). It saves worrying about running a separate CAT5/6 cable or configuring wireless connections.

7. Dec 2, 2015 #7 of 78
    osu-guy

osu-guy New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I already have ethernet at the location where my Genie is. Not sure what 'DECA' is or whether I have it or not. I may try going ahead and plugging in the ethernet connection, rebooting, and use that for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Dec 3, 2015 #8 of 78
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Not all Genies even have an ethernet port. A coax connection, with a DECA (DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter) or Cinema Connection Kit (both of which are MOCA devices which bridge the coax network to wired or wireless internet) will work just as well.

9. Dec 3, 2015 #9 of 78
    RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    All the genies have a wired ethernet port, except the pseudo genie without a hard drive.

SMK

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That's what I use to inject the internet to 5 HR24s, and a Genie (HR54) here.

Well, actually it's a CCK-W in wired hookup with it's WiFi turned off.

Also using this to bring internet to a TIVO Roamio OTA connected to the HR54's ethernet port. And to a WAP setup at the upstairs rear of the house to extend our WiFi coverage via a wired CCK that was discontinued a while back.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I only use the wifi on my CCK-W to connect to the router, which I have to locate in a different room to get coverage in both ends of the house and I don't have a TV in that area. I doubt if it would work that well for streaming 4K.

12. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ummm, not really. Wired is ALWAYS FASTER AND BETTER than wireless.

13. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    Depends Mine is connected 5ghz wireless and works great - just the same a a wired connection

14. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'll try one last time...WIRED IS ALWAYS FASTER AND BETTER. There is no discussion, it's physics, it just is, as is the Universe :)

15. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    You can only go as Fast as your NIC card or ISP allows Wired or Wireless

16. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Nope, wrong again. Well partially wrong. True on the WAN side, FALSE on the LAN side. Your ISP has absolutely NOTHING to do with your LAN.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    True, but how does a wired connection to a fast LAN really benefit the Genie and other MoCA networked receivers?

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the fact that is wired is a huge benefit. wired will always get you the max speed, wireless speed can vary according to distance.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

19. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You also have to reset the network setup. Simply plugging in and rebooting isn't enough. I just did this earlier today myself.

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Agreed, but I must concede that as long your WiFi speeds to the DIRECTV MoCA network remain greater than your internet connection speed, having more for a faster connection to the LAN isn't really beneficial to the Genie and other receivers on a separate MoCA network.