HOW do I watch normal network shows on my Windows PC when on the road

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by GracieAllen, Oct 17, 2017.

1. GracieAllen

GracieAllen New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Minnesota
    Title pretty much says it... Genie is at home recording programs. I'm a THOUSAND miles way. In a place where THERE ARE NO LOCAL CHANNELS so the AM-21 connected to the HR-24 just sits there like floop in a punchbowl. I have a wifi signal....

I do NOT want to watch on a 5" cell phone. I want to watch on the laptop so I can connect an hdmi cable and watch on an ACTUAL TV.

YES, I've been to the directv site. Pressed the Watch TV button.
    YES. I downloaded and installed the "directv app" it insisted I install.
    YES, I let it put whatever the Adobe software was it insisted was required.
    NO, I don't have a GenieGo. I was told they're discontinued, to be replaced with "something much better"...

After ALL THIS DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, STOPPING AND RESTARTING THE BROWSER, it STILL just sits there... Hit the watch button on a program it SAYS is available, and NOTHING.
    ALL I want to do is watch the NORMAL, CBS, ABC, NBC or whatever shows I'd be watching if I was at home on the local channels I'm paying Directv for.

Can SOMEONE tell me in simple idiot-proof instructions how to get this to work?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't think you can get your locals that way. Did you try any of the National Broadcasts.
    I know that if I try to play my locals there is only 1 ? that will play . All the others tell me that I have to be connected to the same network.
    Some of the national ones tell me that also, CNBC is one that I know of.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Watching your locals while traveling probably isn't going to work. To watch your DIRECTV shows 'live', you go to the DIRECTV.com web site and click on Guide near the top right of their web site screen. Then you can see the channels and shows. Click on the show you want to watch and you can find out whether you can stream it. On the shows, you should (might) see one of these two icons which will tell you if you can watch while on the road.
    Stream.PNG

As Jimmie mentioned, you can go to the various network sites (nbc.com, abc.com, USA.com, etc) and see what you can stream from those. Some will required that you log in using your TV provider account info (e.g. your DIRECTV user name/password). Others will allow you to stream full episodes of shows, but not always on the night it originally aired.

Yes, the GenieGo is no longer. But they have the GenieMobile which is an App for Android and iOS (although I keep reading iOS users are having problems). Same as above: some channels you can stream live; others you can't. But with the App, you can download previously recorded shows (while at home) that are on your Genie and watch them anywhere.

If you're hooking up an HDMI cable from your laptop to your hotel TV, why don't you get an HDMI cable to hook up to your phone and play on your TV?

Also, I was in a hotel lately where I could cast what was on my tablet to my TV set.

I also use NetFlix and Amazon Prime when traveling. Both stream live and both allow you to download shows to your device to watch later. Very convenient when traveling and reliable WiFi is not always a given.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It’s going to depend on where you are and what you are using. I suggest using the channels own web site rather than DIRECTV’s for locals, you may have a better chance getting it to work. But if you are not in an O&O market, you may not be able to get it at all.

Here is one simple test, using the method you have already, can you get TBS to play?

Do you’ve an AppleTV? Could try using that as well.

5. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    You need a SlingBox

Doctor j

trh likes this.
  6. merlin50

merlin50 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I think your browser might be blocking flashplayer. Look in the address bar for a red error and click on it. It should let you over ride the flash block. Mozilla might be easier to work around.