1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW DO THEY STAY IN BUSINESS?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by BobGeeX, Jun 28, 2018.

1. BobGeeX

BobGeeX Cool Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Directv installation service has gone from bad to worse in the DFW area. Had an Genie 2 upgrade install scheduled for last Saturday 8-12AM and after waiting for arrival the tech was a no-show! Called and they said the tech couldn't find the house - only been here as a customer for 20 years. Rescheduled for yesterday 12-4PM and same scenario, no show and no communication. Finally got through to tech at 6 PM and he said he would be there at 6:30, but he had to eat first. After no response at 6:45, called him back and cancelled. He said he would reschedule for the first call today. Well, you guessed it, no installer and we get a text that it will be tomorrow afternoon. I extracted the supervisor's number from the tech and after a lengthy conversation, he has promised to send his best tech out today. Still no word from him, though. Where is the accountability in the Directv service system? This is nothing but a black hole and it doesn't seem that anybody cares.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Everything is good once you get DIRECTV (or upgrades) installed. I can deal with the 'rain fade' -- beats the three weeks my neighbors had no cable after a hurricane last year. No problems with the channels available and PQ is great!

But whenever I have to call DIRECTV, it is a crap shoot. And the dice are loaded in their favor. I really don't like if I have to change anything. Poor service response, lack of training (telephone reps and installers), software updates that all too often don't perform as designed, etc.

I hope they finally get to your house and get your upgrade done....properly.

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Dallas is AT&T's HQ, you'd think they'd want to have decent installers on their home turf...

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    In my opinion since ATT took over everything has gotten worse and it will continue to go downhill.

5. drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I just switched from DIRECTV to DISH after 22 years. The Hopper 3 is amazing! Come on over!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I have never really understood why anyone would want someone to "install" anything for them. The dish itself, is extremely easy to install and aim. If you don't really want to run the cabling into your house yourself, then that could be done by other reputable contractors. In my opinion, relying on DirecTV, DISH, CableTV or any other Service Provider's "Installers" is just causing yourself a headache.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The installers I have dealt with are reputable contractors. The problem installers seem to be the subcontractor types. Their vans may say "AT&T" (or in the past "DIRECTV") but they also have a sign on the door identifying the contractor doing work for AT&T|DIRECTV.

I prefer to work with an authorized retailer who does their own installs. Some authorized retailers put you in the same install chain as if you called AT&T|DIRECTV directly ... and with those companies you can end up with a sub-sub-contractor who is sub-par. With a local installer one could check the reputation locally.

I have done my own wire pulls for my installs. It saves time and gets the wire where I want it installed. (Their standards may be "wrap the wire around the outside of the house and drill through any exterior wall" ... mine includes attics and basements.)

8. Jul 4, 2018 #8 of 15
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Problem here is you keep talking to the installer and not directv.

9. Jul 4, 2018 #9 of 15
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    He's talked at least three time with DIRECTV. (Yes, I would have been calling AT&T directly and not the local installers.)

One would also think there would be a process in place at DIRECTV that if they schedule an appointment for install and the equipment doesn't get activated that day, they would follow up to see what happened. A company can take orders all day long, but if they don't deliver, they don't get the two year contract activated and all the subscription fees associated with that contract.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Based on that thread he spoke to directv once. After talking to the tech every communication seems it has been with that company

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There are many reasons why an appointment could fail and some of them can be customer related as in customer not home, buyers remorse, customer canceling on site, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So is there a process that checks installs and sees why they failed? I assume the account would be noted by the installer if (for any reason) the install was delayed. Is this a case where the installer (theoretically) could keep reporting back to DIRECTV with each "reschedule" which would satisfy the process?

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sure there is a process, but it doesn’t mean it is followed by everyone. When a tech reaches an appointment (residential) and it can’t be completed s/he is supposed to reach out to their supervisor who would confirm the reason for cancellation. If the reason is customer not home, their SUP is supposed to try to reach out to the customer.

The tech is supposed to leave notes on the account as to why the appointment can’t be competed. Then the sup is supposed to make sure those notes are in before canceling the appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    That process isn't the same in all areas though. Now in house ATT techs have the option to "return work" no questions asked, no follow up, tech is supposed to note the reason i.e cancel, reschedule, etc... but the job can be noted 100 times to cancel it and it ended up getting rescheduled 3 times or note it to reschedule and it gets cancelled.

15. Ry1989

Ry1989 New Member

Sep 2, 2017
    As techs we all have the option to "Return Work". This option is only available in one of two workorder applications. In the other one, we note the account and call/email our sups/dispatch and it's up to them to cancel the workorder. Typically we will never reschedule appointments on our own, we cancel them and it's up to you to reschedule. There is no real system that checks why a workorder was canceled. I've worked as a temporary tech sup when we needed an extra.