1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you delete on HR44 without freezing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cypherx, Oct 29, 2018.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Software 1104 here. Had this problem very often on 1088 but since we had 1104 for a few months it hasn’t been a problem. I already rebooted it once today. Basically what happens is in the recorded programs list, we hit the red button to delete something, then click through to confirm it. Then it just hangs on a please wait screen.

What would be a better KW search, clearmybox or clearmybox2? Do you think the hard drive is on its way out?

2. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Forgot to mention when this happens live TV is still playing in the corner along with audio, but clients go to a gray screen.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Does it clear up after a few seconds ? My HR24 does that all the time but it does clear up if I just leave it alone.

4. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    It takes hours. It’s faster to hit the red button. Last night it froze so we switched to Netflix and watched 2 hours of that then went to bed. Today (the next day) it seemed normal but the program was still there (a partial VOD download). Orange record light was on all night and all day. This afternoon I did a reset through the menu. This evening wife went to delete something and it locked up. We let it sit 15 minutes until giving up and hitting red button. I went into bedroom first to see if I could run clearmybox from the client, but all I could get on the client was a solid gray screen.

This time I held down the red button and pulled the power out the back. I held down for 10 seconds after power was pulled, hopefully to discharge the capacitor (this trick works well for PCs). The power supply is always on since we have an APC UPS in line with this DVR. Maybe it needed a break. Anyway it’s back on and operational but I hope it doesn’t go back to its old buggy ways of software 1088.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no need do same on DVR/clent

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I suspect you have something wrong with your DVR. If I delete a show that has multiple recordings (either duplicates on different DVRs or multiple weeks), it might take up to a minute to delete. And during that process, I'll get a Refreshing Data Guide Message.

But taking hours and requiring a reboot isn't normal.

Watch the shows you have on that DVR and then get a replacement.