How do you delete on HR44 without freezing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cypherx, Oct 29, 2018.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Software 1104 here. Had this problem very often on 1088 but since we had 1104 for a few months it hasn’t been a problem. I already rebooted it once today. Basically what happens is in the recorded programs list, we hit the red button to delete something, then click through to confirm it. Then it just hangs on a please wait screen.

What would be a better KW search, clearmybox or clearmybox2? Do you think the hard drive is on its way out?

2. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Forgot to mention when this happens live TV is still playing in the corner along with audio, but clients go to a gray screen.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Does it clear up after a few seconds ? My HR24 does that all the time but it does clear up if I just leave it alone.

4. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    It takes hours. It’s faster to hit the red button. Last night it froze so we switched to Netflix and watched 2 hours of that then went to bed. Today (the next day) it seemed normal but the program was still there (a partial VOD download). Orange record light was on all night and all day. This afternoon I did a reset through the menu. This evening wife went to delete something and it locked up. We let it sit 15 minutes until giving up and hitting red button. I went into bedroom first to see if I could run clearmybox from the client, but all I could get on the client was a solid gray screen.

This time I held down the red button and pulled the power out the back. I held down for 10 seconds after power was pulled, hopefully to discharge the capacitor (this trick works well for PCs). The power supply is always on since we have an APC UPS in line with this DVR. Maybe it needed a break. Anyway it’s back on and operational but I hope it doesn’t go back to its old buggy ways of software 1088.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no need do same on DVR/clent

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I suspect you have something wrong with your DVR. If I delete a show that has multiple recordings (either duplicates on different DVRs or multiple weeks), it might take up to a minute to delete. And during that process, I'll get a Refreshing Data Guide Message.

But taking hours and requiring a reboot isn't normal.

Watch the shows you have on that DVR and then get a replacement.

7. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I know this is an old thread but it happened again today and I have a little more information. It does this when trying to delete en-masse on demands recorded programs that we never went out to download. An entire season of a show appeared overnight and the wife was deleting each episode one by one (couldn’t delete the whole folder because real recordings were mixed in with these). It froze after getting through a few. I checked on our HR24 and they all had the red “NO” symbol on it. I was able to delete some more remotely and then it stuck waiting to refresh playlist. Then it said the receiver was off the network. So I went back to the HR44 and had to RBR it since it was unresponsive (just playing live TV in the upper left corner).

So to me this seems like a bug where it for whatever reason goes to grab stuff from OD, then gets stuck doing so (the orange rec light was on all night). It seems this is always the case that these freezes are trying to delete stuck OD recordings. Regular ones download fine. So I guess question is, how do we prevent it from trying to pull entire seasons of something via OD, without disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the back?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it could be sigh of bad HDD … can you run check disk ?

9. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Ok how do you run it and how long does it take? Does it find bad sectors and correct them or make filesystem repairs?

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Make sure you set your series recordings from the guide and not from smart search so it only records from that specific channel. Also check the series settings to make sure it's set to record new episodes only.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    before it was that way - reboot the DVR , during first seconds press and hold SELECT/OK button on front panel, diag menu should come up, navigate to HDD tests item and run short and long test (it will tell how long it would run)

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have The Late Show programmed in that way and see the on-demand episodes I haven't recorded every day. Well, not on weekends, obviously. I do have the 44 set to record only new episodes. There are a couple other shows my wife watches that are recorded on the Genie, I'll have to check out the Playlist and see if it happens on them.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The HDD might be causing the problem but that does not mean the HDD is shot. If you fill up an HDD it will cause what you are seeing. How full is the HDD?

Rich

14. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I believe we are like 60% full. I’ll double check later at home.

I could always image the 1TB disk to a new 2 or 4TB disk if it makes a difference.

I also have an HR24-200, slow as a snail (clearmybox didn’t help) I wouldn’t mind putting a faster drive in since it’s the slowest TV box I ever used in my life (and I used those doozy’s of Motorola DCT-2000’s 17 years ago too).

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have you read this thread: What happens if I put a 1TB SSD in my HR44-700?

Both my 44 and 24-200 are running better than new. I did everything I could think of to speed them up, nothing worked, the link is about something I just tried...a WAG, didn't know what else to do.

Rich

16. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    That’s a big interesting thread. I just timed it, my HR24-200 goes from channel to channel in about 5.69 to 7.33 seconds (using the iPhone timer).

The HR44-700 changes consecutive channels around 3.3 to 5.6 seconds (if switching resolutions). But mostly it’s in the 3 second range consistently.

The Pace RNG-110 running iGuide R32 I have here does it between 2.71 and 3.3 seconds.

HR24 and Pace RNG110 are going through the same Yamaha AVR via HDMI. Native is off on the HR24 and only 1080i is on the Pace.

HR44 is direct into a plasma TV and it’s set to native with just 720p and 1080i selected.

C61-100 is just under 4 seconds between channel surfing. Mostly 3.8 second average from button push to video is displayed.

I don’t have speed concerns with the HR44, just freezing on deletes. The HR24 is tough to use if your a channel surfer. Bringing up the guide is slow too.

Oh and back to the original question, the HR44 has 24% free space on it. It’s a 1TB drive so it would be pricey to replace with an SSD. The HR24 however is cheaper. Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM) is $72.99 on Amazon (free prime shipping). 1TB is 127.98, 2TB is 294.88 (wow what a jump).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm still thinking about failing HDD ...

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think I could measure the times as you did. With the SSDs it's damn near instantaneous. Your 44 at 24% free is just about where my 44 was the only time I let it get over 50% full. I hadn't used it in some time and when I tried to watch a show it was slow and buggy. Saw how full the HDD was and deleted most of the content. Ran a lot better. I know if you have too much content on an HDD in a 24 you will have problems like you've seen. We have been told the Genies don't have this problem...but mine did, the one time I let it get too full. I don't think the SSDs have this problem, I deliberately filled up the 24-200 all the way and had no issues during the week or so I ran it at full.

I have to caution everyone about the SSDs. I made a hundred dollar mistake with the 500GB SSD I put in the 24. You want to put the largest SSD in the DVRs that you can afford. I don't record much anymore, have no need for the ridiculous amount of storage I used to have. A 1TB SSD is more than enough for me. From what I've read, the bigger the SSD the longer it will last.

If you can, dump enough content so you get down to less that half full and see if the freezing on deletion stops. Made a big difference on my 44. The SSD made a HUGE difference on my 44. I'll never go back to HDDs.

Rich

cypherx likes this.