1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you re-enable caller id notifications?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cypherx, Jul 12, 2018.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Wife accidentally clicked on disable notifications when a caller ID notice came up. Now we get none at all. How do you turn it back on on a HR44 on software 1088?

Would clearmybox or a double red button reset return everything to defaults?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I don't think you can as no Setting is listed in the "NEW" gui as the Hr54 & Hs17 have no RJ11 to connect a phone line so it was left out of the SW

3. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Well let me try clearmybox before I go to bed tonight. That’s the same thing as a double RBR isn’t it? It was on so I would imagine “on” is the default?

Yeah I know about the HR54 and HS17 and no phone jack and I’m not interested in them. The HR44 is fine for us since we don’t have 4K anything anyway.

I’d hate to bring the HR24 up to the living room because it’s terribly slow. They should make an HDMI pass through box with a phone jack to superimpose caller ID over any HDMI signal. That sounds like a product RadioShack would have made... too bad they went under.

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Cid was removed because you are among only a handful of people that actually still has a landline.

5. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Cell phones are unreliable. 1 to 2 bars, choppy audio with drop outs. No thanks. Nothing beats a wire. It’s not that much more on top of my internet bill. Plus we have a “home” number with Nomorobo support, and we can give that out rather than multiple cell numbers.

6. mjfoxtrot

mjfoxtrot Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Washington,...
    The number of people using a landline is declining, yes, but there are still 56.7 million households in the U.S. alone (45 percent of the U.S. housing stock) using landlines. I think that is more than just "a handful."

How Many People Still Use a Landline Phone in 2017? New Research Finds

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried connecting the cell phone to the wireless internet router ? I have mine switch to it when it is available, which is almost all the time.

8. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    No but even so we would both have two phones, two different numbers. Mine is a business number not owned by me. I like having 3 cordless phones in the house that all ring and are easier to hold between your shoulder and ear, or you can just pick up another one if the battery is low.

The closest thing I considered about "cutting the cord" for home phone service was maybe going to OOMA. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on that since the cable co manages the QoS nicely. I know theres up front cost for the hardware and very minimal monthly costs (depending if you get standard or premium). I also like that the Cable company is on the hook for their hardware. Cable comes in and is split to my 16x4 modem for internet and off to their telephony modem which has a battery backup, but is also plugged into a 1300VA UPS with my other network gear.

As far as this topic goes, I ran CLEARMYBOX last night and let the HR44 reboot. I did this right before bed so I went to bed and got up today and now I'm at work. I'll find out later if that reset the settings to default. I recall Caller ID was defaulted to on, so if this does not reset that setting, short of wiping the entire DVR to factory defaults, I'm going to have to get used to it. We've had caller ID on TV for years, even before DirecTV with Comcast at another residence. We don't have Comcast now but our local cable company does offer it if you have their equipment and video service. Because of having it for 10+ years, we just have adapted to the instinct of looking at the TV screen when the phone rings. Hard to teach old dogs new tricks I guess?

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I only asked that because you were complaining about 1 to 2 bars and dropped calls. If you set your phone to use the router whenever it is close to it you won't have the dropped calls.

I feel the same as you about a home phone and number. Got fed up with the high prices and bought me an Ooma phone about 6 weeks ago. You plug it into your router and plug the base unit of your phone system into it and all phones work the same way they did when I had AT&T phone. Except, I now get every feature imaginable and it is only $16.59 per month. I used to get 4 to 7 unwanted calls per day and now get an average of 1 per week. It does have the downside of if the internet goes out it is then out. But it has a feature that if your internet is out it forwards your calls to your cell phone.

I know nothing about caller ID on the receivers.

10. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Funny, Dish also supports VOIP caller ID and some have made it work with their cell phones.

11. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    So 45% of the US is an estimate and a high one at that I bet. I go to about 100 houses a month and maybe 5 on average have a landline. The 5 that do I may have 1 a month that request or complains about no CID. They are usually older generation.

12. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Oh and I do have a landline that I have never answered one time. I only have it in case I need a fax (never used that either though) Its free is only real reason I have it.

13. mjfoxtrot

mjfoxtrot Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Washington,...
    It’s not an estimate. Click on the link I provided. The source is the U.S. Center for Disease Control National Health Information Survey (NHIS), which found that 45.9% of American households still use a landline phone.

Your estimate that 95 percent of the houses that you visit do not have landlines would be extraordinarily high. There is ample proof from surveys, government sources, and the phone companies themselves that there are tens of millions of households in the U.S. that still have landlines.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Even at 45% that is more than the derogatory "handful" word that you used. :)

15. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    From the article itself, they surveyed 40,000 Americans.
    "The estimates are based on in-person interviews that are conducted throughout the year to collect information on health status, health-related behaviors, and health care access and utilization."

The article also says "More than 70% of adults aged 25-34 and adults renting their homes were living in wireless-only households" and based on my experience that is a high estimate. I obviously don't live and work in many rural areas where landlines may be more prominent but the point I'm making is landlines are dying and only a handful cares about CID on a landline showing up on their TV.

16. mjfoxtrot

mjfoxtrot Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Washington,...
    A statistically significant survey of 40,000 people by the U.S. Center for Disease Control is a lot more than just a guess or slipshod estimate. The CDC is not just shooting from the hip . . . organizations like that know their numbers. There's no practical way that they could interview every single person in the U.S. about their phone ownership. Modern analysis uses statistically significant portions of a population to assess a high degree of likelihood for the rest of the population. For instance, Nielsen ratings use the same type of sampling to determine market shares for national television viewing. Gallup polls do the same thing.

I would put a lot more stock in the U.S. Center for Disease Control's analysis than your personal experience, which is nowhere near the threshold of a statistically sound model. Not to mention that the 95 percent figure you are suggesting doesn't even sound remotely plausible.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Whetheryou like it or not, caller ID is dead and is not coming back.

18. mjfoxtrot

mjfoxtrot Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Washington,...
    Glad I do not use it then.

19. mjfoxtrot

mjfoxtrot Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Washington,...
    And also, your comment is not correct. As other people have said on this forum, the caller ID still works on any DirecTV box except a Genie. I just tested it on one of my HR24 DVRs and it works fine. Also, caller ID works on an HR44-500 Genie, but the latest software update on that box removes the option to review the call log. The caller ID still displays on the screen, unless you disable caller ID notifications, either purposefully or accidentally (which happened to the original poster on this thread.)

I have five HR24s, an HR20, and an HR44. I could use caller ID on all of those boxes. Doesn’t sound like “caller ID is dead” at all.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    ericknolls likes this.
  20. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Not to split to hairs - But based on your receiver line up - On Screen Caller ID is Dying - as all your receivers are no longer being MFG'd -when they go away and they will then ON screen Caller ID - Dead as the HR54 & Hs17 and all MINI's do (NOT*) have rj11 jacks and never will.

But as long as you and I have old equipment Caller ID is Alive and well

* corrected left out the word NOT

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018