1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do YOU use a Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by djlong, Oct 10, 2009.

1. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Something someone said in the android thread got me thinking. He didn't know what people used a Smartphone for. So I figured that's as good a reason as any to let people know what kinds of things people do with their smartphones.

I had a Palm Treo 700w for about 3+ years before my recent upgrade to an HTC Touch Pro 2. Here's what I've done with those phones..

Wrote a program that was a glorified stopwatch but would store the lap times in a database.

Played several kinds of games - Space Trader, Bookworm, Bejewelled, Scrabble and Monopoly most notably.

Web surfing - I've had an unlimited data plan on my phone since the beginning. Anything from looking up movie times when a sudden urge hits the group to (now) calling up Google Maps to check traffic. I also read news from places like the NY Times, MSNBC, ZDNet, Engadget, etc.

Kept spreadsheets for car expenses, travel expenses, figuring out how many alimony checks my ex-wife hasn't cashed.

Notes - LOTS of notes. Things like product keys, notes taken in a store for comparisons, shopping lists, etc.

They also tend to hold more text messages. My Treo had almost 8000 text messages in it when I looked at the numbers in my Inbox and Sent.

My new phone actually takes pretty good pictures in a nice widescreen (16x9) ratio.

I'm also having some fun with the GPS on my new phone. I haven't yet tried out the WiFi.

It's also my morning alarm clock.

Anyone else out there?

EDIT: I forgot - I make phone calls on it too! (and use it as a data/modem as a backup method to get to the internet on my laptop)

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Perfect timing on your post as I was looking just yesterday at the iPhone 3GS 16 gig. Been reading different reviews today. Looks interesting. Looking forward to more information from others after your post, thanks.

3. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    I use my Iphone for work and pleasure. I never thought I'd use it much. Boy was I ever wrong. My biggest issue was battery life. I just got a MiLi battery extender. I charge it every night and it never goes flat. It's a little heavier and bulkier, but it's worth it.

4. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I have an old HTC Apache (a.k.a. Verizon XV6700). I use mine mainly as a phone and for e-mail (both personal and corporate). I also use it as a modem to my laptop via tethering. I have the Facebook app loaded on it, but I'm not really that into FB, so it's there just when I need to kill time. Another app I use extensively is MS Live Search with it's speech recognition. I find that very useful. I have a few simple games (solitaire, minesweeper, etc.) again, just to kill time.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Phone is Job 1.

Contacts, calendar, and e-mail are Job 2.

Internet Browser is Job 3.

Instant Mesenger is Job 4.

Everything else is not equal to those 4....but added value from time to time.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Very good order of use, good points to ponder, looks like the iPhone would suffice. I think I would use the Google maps app as we travel regularly.

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Phone #1
    Texting #2

Would like to have email but the data plans are too expensive at this point. I mainly have a smartphone for the full keyboard and nicer screen/interface of windows mobile. Every now and then I play with an app or two, but nothing regularly. I have used the Blackjack for the last 3+ yrs and it has been a great phone.

8. lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    I use my BlackBerry 8330 Curve (in no particular order) for:
    • Phone
    • Maps/GPS
    • Instant Messaging
    • email
      calendaring and appointments
    • task lists
    • weather
    • Internet access of all kinds
    • some game playing
    • Note-taking and retrieval
    • listening to music
    • ebook reading
    • Facebook access
    • Contact management
    • Alarms/reminders
    • Calculator
    • Expense management for traveling
    • Amazon shopping/ordering
    • DVR scheduling
    • Project management
    • taking quick pictures
    • voice memo-taking
    • etc, etc, etc

Suffice it to say I couldn't live without a smartphone.

9. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I think phone and data have an equal share of the job in my case.

Since I got the iPhone 3Gs in July:

Data Sent: 431 MB
    Data Rec'd: 2.8 GB

Talk Time: 8 hrs 38 mins

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have an iPhone 3G 16GB model.

Mostly used as a phone, for games, maps right now... but I'm also working on learning to program so I can write some things of my own at some point.

11. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Oh yeah, I forgot about calendar - that's a big one! And contacts, of course. I like having all these items sync to Exchange.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I use my phone as a phone. I have a Samsung Blackjack II. I hardly ever get on the internet with it (because the browser is so poor.) The key for me is Outlook integration. I need to have my complete contact list and appointments with me.

I tend not to check my e-mail on the phone, and do not have e-mails pushed to it.

13. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    Samsung Instinct

Phone
    texting
    Check e-mail
    many uses as GPS
    MP3 player

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Blackberry Curve here.

1. Communications - Phone, email, texts, IMs...whatever way a child, wife or client needs to contact me it's available.

2. Contacts

3. Calendar

4. Information Lookups

5. News and Stock information

6. Pandora

7. GPS functions

8. Notes

9. Bluetooth tethering for my Netbook when WIFI isn't available.

15. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    T-mobile MDA for 3+ years now HTC Touch Pro 2. Basically integrates PDA, pager, modem, and phone. And now adds GPS.

I've enjoyed email, contacts, notes, tasks, internet, a few games, and of course the phone. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

16. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    come on guys, be honest...
    games games games and more games :lol:

17. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    No "smartphone" here.

I do use my cellphone for calling people and as a personal phonebook.

I'm pretty low tech on that front.

18. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Nahh, while I love games I can't think of any game I have enjoyed playing on a tiny screen.

The iPhone does do quite a bit better at games and video than others, but as my wife learned watching a couple of iTunes purchases episodes of Mad Men will kill an iPhone's battery very quickly. Games and video are much better played on something like the Sony PSP.

19. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    My first smartphone was a Blackberry Curve that my sister gave me. I thought it was cool but didn't use it for much other than as a phone because I couldn't see the screen & I didn't like the interface. Now that I have an iPhone, I use it for phone, texting, some email, Internet, & several apps that connect to the Internet, such as weather, news, & football apps.

20. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007

I have a BJII too Stuart. The web browser is terrible...the Opera Mobile Browser is much better IMO.

Of course, I don't use data at all anymore so it lowered our bill by 20 bucks.

BTW - if you haven't been to it yet, check out www.myblackjack2.com for neat hints and hacks for the Blackjack 2 ;)