1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does DirecTV get local channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Bradcny, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Bradcny

Bradcny AllStar

Oct 21, 2010
    For local channels, does DirecTV have a direct link or do they simply pull the signal off air from the affiliate and retransmit it?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    They use both methods.

3. Bradcny

Bradcny AllStar

Oct 21, 2010
    Both at all times in case one method fails, or depending on what the affiliate can provide?

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    One or the other. In most cases, it's done by capturing the signal "off air".

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    And it can be BOTH ways for a given market, depending on the particular local channel(s) & where the LRF is located. In our market for D*, it's at our local FOX & CW station located in Springfield, so D* gets a direct studio feed for FOX & CW, then one of our PBS's (because it is way TOO far away for an OTA pickup) is done with a fiber feed, & the rest come OTA.

Now for E*, their LRF is located over in Decatur & I believe they use all OTA pickup...

6. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm sure they prefer fiber when possible, but there's as many combinations as there are local markets. Some markets all the stations are together (on a mountain, for example) and some markets they're all spread out.

7. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Well it depends on who "they" is - but wherever D* chooses to put the LRF, the local station(s) is the one responsible for getting their signal to the LRF, in whatever fashion they want. If the local station doesn't want to spring for the fiber, (which is usually done only in the larger markets due to the expense - but there ARE always exceptions) then it usually falls back to an OTA pickup.

8. sptrout

sptrout AllStar

Dec 29, 2006
    Spring, TX
    Here in the Houston area I have always assumed that DTV's local feeds were OTA pickups. My system is setup where I can watch locals either via DTV or my own OTA system. I have never had a case when one was having problems (noise, audio problem, complete outage, etc.) and switching to the other fixed the problem. Everytime it was both worked fine, or both had the same problems. One exception is rain fade with DTV, but then lighting usually hammers OTA. (BTW - - I watch only the major channels so no idea about the minor stations in our market.)

9. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    I'd bet most of the time it's not direct access.

I doubt local tv stations send a direct feed to DIRECTV.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    They can send a fiber feed to the DirecTv access point. The rest are collected OTA. Then they are all sent to DirecTv from there, together.