How does receiver activation work

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by iainleaver, May 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. iainleaver

iainleaver Cool Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I have a Directv receiver and dish for my travel trailer which gets set up every 2 weeks or so - sometimes the receiver has lost activation (722) and i need to call directv to reactivate. This is simple and automated, but it means I need cell phone access where I camp.

I could set up the dish at home before we set out and check to see if it needs activation, but I'd rather find an easier way

How often does the receiver need to see the activation signal ?

If i reactivate without the dish set uo how long does it keep sending the activation signal for ?

does anyone have any ideas how i can avoid the problem ?

Thanks

Iain

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    First, it is authorization, not activation, and the Directv RCVRs are designed to turn off authorizations about every 2 weeks if they do not get used. That is why you are having the issue, the reauthorization signal comes through the satellite, and so you would be having the issue if your rcvr sits turned off for at least a week or so. You can setup at home so that you get the 722 error message and then go to Directv.com and resend the auths from there.

:welcome_s by the way.

3. jasonc213

jasonc213 AllStar

Mar 4, 2010
    I'm not sure on the exact time, but I think its about 2-3 weeks without receiving any signal, that it automatically will de-auth itself. It's not meant to be an inconvenience, but if someone stole your receiver from your travel trailer and didn't have to verify your info to reactivate it, you could see what kind of problems that could lead to.

IMO, re-authing it before you leave is probably the best thing if you know your going to an area without cell phone coverage. The authorizations can be sent via the website though if you get to an area without cell coverage but does have internet access.

4. 2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    You might want to keep it plugged into dish and powered up at home so it stays activated and is always ready to go.

5. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Correct. There really is no reason to call them when you can resend authorizations from DirecTV.com.

6. iainleaver

iainleaver Cool Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Thanks for the replies

I guess i can set the dish up before we go and re authorize - where we usually go camping has patchy cell access and no internet

I assume re-authorizing will work even if i don't have a 722 message - we are going away this summer to a place with no cell or internet - I don't want to get there and find i need to re-authorize!

7. jasonc213

jasonc213 AllStar

Mar 4, 2010
    Yep. You got it. :)

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Interestingly enough, I reactivated one of my legacy receivers (a Hughes) just so I could listen to the Sonic Tap music channels on my stereo in my computer room. I generally listen a couple hours a day but I turn the power off to the receiver when it is not being used (legacy receivers boot up in less than a minute unlike the current receivers).

The other day, it suddenly shut down with error message 722 on all channels. Since I listen to it almost every day, I assumed there was a more complex problem than just the need to refresh the receiver so I called a CSR.

The friendly person told me that receivers need to see a "refresh" signal once a month or they shut down. But due to the millions and millions of DirecTV receivers in service, the signal only gets sent to each receiver once every few days and it must have just turned out that my receiver was powered off every time the signal to it was sent.

So here's a tip. If you are going to be operating your receiver intermittantly, log into DIRECTV.COM or use the IVR phone system and refresh your receiver. This INSTANTLY sends the refresh signal and resets the 30 day cycle!!