1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does ViP722 map OTA and Dish Locals?

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by TheFoxMan, Jan 29, 2009.

1. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    This may be an elementary or dumb question, and I'm not sure if I'm stating it very clearly, but I'll give it a try. If/when Dish offers my locals in HD, will the 722 map my OTA and Dish HD locals to different channels so I can record the satellite feed of a local HD channel and watch another local via the OTA input? Seems like any given local HD channel would need to be mapped to different channels on the Dish receiver to let me do this... or not?

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Yes.. it all works as you would expect. If you have Guide Information for your locals you will see them in your OTA and your Dish HD locals. They show up like this. There is an option in your local channels as to if you want the 00 to be SD or HD or show both.

007-00 - Dish HD locals (In my case ABC)
    007-01 - OTA 7 subchannel 1
    007-02 - OTA 7 subchannel 2

3. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    Thank you, Ron. Now I will sleep well while awaiting arrival of HD locals here in Cedar Rapids, IA.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    007-00 sd local
    007-00 HD local
    007-01 OTA local
    007-02 OTA subchannel

5. Feb 2, 2009 #5 of 12
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Now i an confused. You show 007-01 OTA local as Channel 7 off of the antenna.
    Ron, above shows it as a subchannel, not the main channel 7. Wouldnt it be the main ota channel,not a sub?

6. Feb 2, 2009 #6 of 12
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I think gary and I am saying the same thing.. I just think of it differently.

Yes. 007-01 is the main channel. Sub channels show starting 2. I actually look at 007 is broken into a number subchannels with the main channel just be one of them. Perhaps that is the wrong way to look at it but that is how I have always thought of OTA channels.

7. Feb 2, 2009 #7 of 12
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I do take it as -01 being the main HD channel, most subchannels are digital sd channels and not another HD channel. In my dma out of Scranton, I get the local fox OTA with two subchannels, they are as follows:
    056-01 Fox 56 HD
    056-02 CW 38 non-HD channel
    056-03 MyNetwork 53 (I think its supposed to be 53) non-HD channel.

All three are owned by the same corp. in my area and are sent on the one channel.

8. Feb 2, 2009 #8 of 12
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Thanks. I wouldnt say wrong, but i think most people think of the subchannels as anything after the main .1 channel.
    Supposedly dish is going to start the New orleans locals in hd when the new sat is finally working and i was trying to figure out how they would show in the guide with the sd locals and the ota locals.

9. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    The local channels from OTA show up in yellow in EPG

10. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    If you use the Eastern Arc service, the Local SD is not carried if the Local HD is carried for that particular channel. This applies to most markets if not all markets. Providence may be the exception.

11. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Understood. But how does Dish actually keep the program guide updated for the OTA channels? (They dont use the OTA program guide info embedded in the OTA stream do they?)

For example, and in contrast, as I understand it DirecTV uses Tribune to mangage not only the program guide, but also the OTA channel mapping (as DirecTV does not allow OTA scnaning of channels, but rather pushes the OTA OTA mapping to your DVR through Tribune - a very convoluted and problematic approach I might add. If they don't know about a subchannel or the digital transition RF switch for some stations, then you can't tune the channel until they get their act together.)

12. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    They update the OTA guide data the same way they do every other channel in the EPG.