1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Does Whole Home Work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by jangell2, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1 of 38
    jangell2

jangell2 Godfather

Apr 6, 2004
    We have an HR34 in the living room and did have an HR20 in the bedroom, but the HR20 was getting a constant searching for signal. Tech came out and diagnosed the problem to be connections at the dish. He did replace other connections and also replaced the HR20 with an HR22. I didn't ask for it, he just said the 20 was old and we should replace now before it dies.

That evening my wife noticed she can see the playlist of the HR34 and the 34 can see what she's recorded with the 22. Neither one of these dvrs has access to my wifi. The tech didn't ask for my wifi access code and I didn't realize he was setting up whole home.

Without internet access how are the two dvrs communicating. Are they using the coaxial cabling to find each other?

What other features of whole home can we use without internet? The ipad app? The HR34 doesn't have the doohickey for internet access.

Based on the amount of disk space remaining display, it looks like the 22 records on its drive and the 34 on its drive. Is this true under whole home? Can the HR34 delete a recording from the 22 and vice versa?

2. Aug 3, 2013 #2 of 38
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    We have an HR34 in the living room and did have an HR20 in the bedroom, but the HR20 was getting a constant searching for signal. Tech came out and diagnosed the problem to be connections at the dish. He did replace other connections and also replaced the HR20 with an HR22. I didn't ask for it, he just said the 20 was old and we should replace now before it dies.

That evening my wife noticed she can see the playlist of the HR34 and the 34 can see what she's recorded with the 22. Neither one of these dvrs has access to my wifi. The tech didn't ask for my wifi access code and I didn't realize he was setting up whole home.

Without internet access how are the two dvrs communicating. Are they using the coaxial cabling to find each other?

What other features of whole home can we use without internet? The ipad app? The HR34 doesn't have the doohickey for internet access.

Based on the amount of disk space remaining display, it looks like the 22 records on its drive and the 34 on its drive. Is this true under whole home? Can the HR34 delete a recording from the 22 and vice versa?
    Yes, the DVRs communicate with each other via the SWM network using the same coax cables that feeds the satellite signals. Without internet access sharing playlist is about all you can do with whole-home. To use the iPad (connected features) the DVRs must be connected to the internet. Yes, each DVR will record to its own drive but you can deleted from either DVR as long as it is set up this way which is the default setting

3. Aug 3, 2013 #3 of 38
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Also, if you did not request it to be set up, you might want to cancel it as it is not free. It costs $3 per month.

4. Aug 3, 2013 #4 of 38
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And the HR34 does have an Ethernet port so if you have a network connections available to where its located you can simply plug an Ethernet cable into it and then both DVRs will be connected to the Internet.

5. Aug 3, 2013 #5 of 38
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Also, if you did not request it to be set up, you might want to cancel it as it is not free. It costs $3 per month.
    rumor has it they won't install genies without Whole Home Service.

6. Aug 3, 2013 #6 of 38
    Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    You are right! I forgot about that. If a CSR did not tell him that, he will need to speak to someone so he does not get a surprise charge on his bill.

7. Aug 3, 2013 #7 of 38
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Hope this helps

8. Aug 3, 2013 #8 of 38
    Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Yes Jimmie, you can set your DVRs to allow deletion across all receivers or not.

Yes the receivers record on their own hard drives - your just get the pleasure of deciding where you want to watch the content from.

And yes, coax cabling is how they "Share".

9. Aug 3, 2013 #9 of 38
    ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    What is Jimmy missing out on by not connecting the system to the Internet? I know we have really enjoyed HBO on demand and the ability to catch up on the various HBO series, without Internet I don't think you get the on demand option.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What is Jimmy missing out on by not connecting the system to the Internet? I know we have really enjoyed HBO on demand and the ability to catch up on the various HBO series, without Internet I don't think you get the on demand option.
    Yup, you need to have the DVRs connected to the internet in order to get DOD. OTH, the TS can watch HBO via its "GO" services via smartphone app or PC/Mac browser using his/her DirecTV credentials

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am not the thread starter.

Having said that, I do not have a Genie, I do not have Whole Home DVR and I am not connected to the internet with the TV systems and I have way more TV than I know what to do with.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Back to the OP (aka TS)

You could be hooked up now to the internet, as a wired solution (the better way) does not require a PW.. depends on what the installer did.

Let us know!

13. jangell2

jangell2 Godfather

Apr 6, 2004
    I'm tardy in replying to this topic I started, shame on me. Thank you all for the good information When I first got the HR34 they told me whole home was required, but gave me credits to make up for the charge. Thank to you all, I now know who the whole home is working.

I know the HR34 is not hooked up to the internet since there's no ethernet cable available. I once had a guy check to see if it could be run there (same guy who did the cabling for my audio setup). He said it was near impossible.

BTW, if I ever ran ethernet to my HT system, can ethernet be split to the various devices (TV, dvr, blu-ray player)? All those devices but the dvr have wifi built-in, but cable would be better, wouldn't it?

14. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I use an ethernet switch on one set up. It shares the receiver, a desktop and a laptop when necessary.

1 person likes this.
  15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, you can get an inexpensive 4 port switch

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, you can get an inexpensive 4 port switch

17. jangell2

jangell2 Godfather

Apr 6, 2004
    To Supramom, thank. And to peds48, thanks. And to peds48, thanks. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Based on this, I'm assuming that you already have Wifi in your house. If this is the case, you could (and should) have your DirecTV network (aka Cloud) already connected to the Internet. You don't need to have every DVR in your home connected to the Internet. With SWM (which you have), you only need to have a single device connected to the Internet and then all of your cloud will be connected through that single device.

DirecTV has a couple of different types of Cinema Connection Kits (CCK's) that will allow you to connect your cloud to the Internet either wired or wirelessly. To be wired, you just need a location where you can connect Ethernet to the CCK and run a coax to your splitter (or to another coax in the cloud, where it can be "spliced in" with a 2 way splitter.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    He has an HR 34 which might eliminate the need for a separate CCK, though that's the solution for internet connectivity if the '34 isn't convenient to the router.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    To Supramom, thank. And to peds48, thanks. And to peds48, thanks. :)
    You are welcome, you are welcome :)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk