1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is HR21?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Alexandrepsf, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    Hi,

My wife finally conceded that HR20 is getting better than a TIVO and asked me to change her TIVO for a HR20. But If HR21 is not far I would rather wait for this one.

Does anyone have an approximate release date?

Cheers,
    Alex

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There is no release date for the HR21...

3. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    why would you wait?

are you expecting some snazzy new feature?

don't wait.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HR20 is proving to be a very solid performer. I really see no reason to wait for a yet to be announced DVR, since we don't know what it might, or might not, have.

Carl

5. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    I agree with you. But like the Tivo boxes I do not want to pay for a box that would be replaced in a year or so.

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    That's just life in the world of home electronics - always something new and better on the horizon.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think that it is safe to say that the HR20 will be supported for some time to come.

8. jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    You do realize that the HR21 is not a replacement but just the next in the series of the HDDVR's? The HR20 will not be obsolete when that occurs. Also it has been widely speculated that the HR21 will not have an OTA input (or it may actually have been confirmed at this point). So I wouldnt delay you decision based on the facts that are at hand.

Jim

9. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Think of it this way...

I had an H10, a dog from the day I owned it. It took D* a year to fix the software. In the end, it was a fine machine. I was very happy.

Now I have an HR20. From what I understand, the first year or so of its existence it was very problematic. Now, its stable and very nice. I'm very happy with it.

Understand? ;)

Based on past history, I would not want to be amoung the first to own an HR21...:nono2:
    Especially if the wife is going to use it...

10. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If I spend that kind of money for a gagdet the wife is going to use it BETTER work...:)

11. Clato

Clato Banned User

Aug 30, 2007

Alex, hello, i called DTv last night because i have a H20/600 reciever and asked about a "glitch" on #98 and about H20/700 (someon here mentioned about)
    but during the conversation the tech-i don't know if TRUTH or not mentioned that there would be a new receiver H21 comming out & that i would need to replace my HD WESTINGHOUSE flat screen TV "'probally in 2008 to recieve/make the new reciever work ,the new tv are available NOW in japan,but we do not as yet have the equipment,it'll probally be 2008 befor we do
    i just purchased,(11-2005) my new HD tv, new reciever & new oval 5 lnb big oval dish (may 2006)

but again I didn't take this as GOSPEL, from the tec.:nono2: T<T<

12. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    I do realize that HR20 and 21 will co-exist and it is not a replacement solution, and also I know that when HR21 comes out it will buggy as all the other boxes that came out, but if HR21's release is imminent I would rather get it as my second box .

When HR20 becomes obsolete (it will one day) I will the replace it with HR22 that would be the next generation of HR21. :)

Anyway, that is how I think things will evolve with D* and I do not want to get in spending frenzy because every 1 or 2 year D* decides to release a new boxes with new features.

13. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    LMAO.

HR21 would be for me and the kids, she will get the HR20. I do not want to take the risk of giving her a buggy box or else I will spend most of the nights on the couch. :D

14. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    Hi Clato,

Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if the HR21 would come around the same time as H21, hence my thread.

Cheers,
    Alex

15. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    Found this posted on engadget today:
    "...DirecTV HR21 Pro gets leaked..."

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/31/directv-hr21-pro-gets-leaked/

Nice looking rack mount.

16. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    It wasn't leaked. It was in a D* ad in CEPro which is a trade magazine for custom integrators. D* wanted it seen. And according to the picture, there was no OTA input.

But it did have a 1080p light. :joy:

17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Whoohooo That will be a WASTE of money. No need for a 1080P box

18. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    There is no need, correct. From an advertising point of view, and for people willing to pay for custom integration that know little about the subject, 1080p is necessary. If Directv doesn't do it first, someone else will. Whether or not there is an actual difference is irrelevant if there is an assumed or perceived difference. I'm quite surprised it has taken this long to slap 1080p on a cable/sat STB.

19. RoundRockJohn

RoundRockJohn Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    What about VOD content coming down at 1080p?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.