How far to go with cancelling service to get a good deal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dbronstein, Sep 14, 2016.

1. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm totally fed up with DirecTV right now. I've been a customer over 10 years, not under contract. I could not get anything more than $13 a month off the Sunday ticket, no other discounts or anything. I've read people saying that they actually cancel their service and then get some offer and re-sign without ever having their service stopped. How does that work? If I tell them to cancel my service, don't they kill it right away? How far can I go with this?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    All I've read is people who scheduled a cancelation but haven't gone through with actually turning the service off.

3. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    So I am guessing you have not cancelled officially, yet? I know I have had them ask if they wanted me to give them a date of when to kill the service, but I guess that is not really what you are asking about. One option I guess is if you have cable internet already, you could get the cable company to "flip the switch" and give you basic cable in the meantime. I don't know, but it really is a shame for a customer as long as you have been, to have them not work with you.

4. keithl

keithl New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I don't know about DTV, but I actually had to cancel Dish then a day or 2 later their executive retention team called and finally offered decent deals, but I already had Comcast installed so I sent everything back. Unfortunately I think providers are at a point of market saturation, like cell providers, thus there are no easy gains for the providers and the deals dry up because the cost is not worth it to them. Bundles help as I am considering DTV since I can get Select for 2 rooms, Uverse 45mbs and phone for $109.99 locked for 24 months. Works out to $50 for 2 rooms DTV, $50 for 45mbs internet and $9.99 for phone. I tried to go back to Dish, but they are not offering much, Flex with DVR and local for 24 months at $51 a month.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them back. Verify your phone number, then say "contract end date". You will immediately be transferred to another department. Tell them you really don't want to leave but you have been getting some very good offers in the mail from the competitors.
    I think you will have a different result.

See the latest in this thread.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206404-anyone-call-directv-and-reduce-their-bill-share-stats-here/page-39?hl=%2Bshare+%2Bstats#entry3437132

1 person likes this.
  6. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Thanks for the replies. The thing is I'm never going to actually cancel because of the Sunday Ticket. I thought when you cancel, they just flip a switch and your service is off, so I haven't actually cancelled. You have to schedule an appointment for someone to come disconnect you? That's my question: how far can you go with playing chicken before your service is turned off?

I tweeted at them this morning and they said to DM them and they would see what they could do. After exchanging some DMs, they said they couldn't do anything else for me.

7. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Hi
    Personal opinion here and I could be wrong by I am speculating that the reason You are not doing better is the Sunday Ticket. To put it another way I suspect that they pulled up You history and it showed You take the Sunday Ticket every year, Do You? And as a result they feel You are more or less tied into them to get it. They could be wrong or I could be wrong, As I say I am just speculatimg that to be the reason.

By The Way, is there a way to suspend all but the most basic service with them and get a really good deal from the cable system for everything else until Sunday Ticket Time? I seem to remember You could suspend service for a length of time and then resume. A little research might pay off too.

Good Luck
    Roger

8. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    By The way I think a Phone Call would work better than a tweet. Just my opinion FWIW.

Cheers
    Roger

9. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I've tried three phone calls already, that's why I went to tweeting. A lot of companies provide better responses over social media because the complaints are public. Apparently Directv isn't one of them.

I don't think it's the Sunday Ticket because I told them to cancel it and they still didn't give me anything aside from the slight discount on it. And I see plenty of people posting in the Sunday ticket thread who are long-time customers with the ST every year and they all got great deals.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sometimes you get an answer with Twitter. But even cases that I've seen marked off on Twitter as 'complete', one of the steps had the user call DIRECTV. You can't be logged into your account and cancel any services. So I can't image them cancelling services (or giving deals) via Twitter.

Do what Jimmie57 said. Call and ask for your contract expiration date. The only people that seem to be able to answer that questions are the same people who can 'make you happy'.

If you feel strongly, call up and set up a date in the future for cancelling... like 2-3 weeks out. If you desire, you can tell them that is how long it is to get your replacement service in place and operational before you cut the DIRECTV service.

11. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I was able to get programming discounts back in mid-August, then 3 weeks later free STMax using Chat. Never did a Chat before until then. Most all of the different agents I chatted with since were out of Colombia, outside the U.S.

In later July before using Chat, I called 800-DirecTV and said 'contract end date' figuring that would take me to retention department, what I ended up getting was the Robot telling me that it was up next May XX. Didn't see that one coming.....AT&T is closing up loopholes....zoiks!

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you call and tell them to turn off your service, it will be off before you get off the phone, same as adding a premium package to your subscription.

13. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    This is where I'm unclear. Can I ask for a future cancellation date, and then hope to get a better offer? Or will they just flip the switch when I tell them to cancel and I'm toast?

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Read the ST Pricing thread. Here are a few posts below from that thread where others scheduled future cancellations and then negotiated a ST price and then cancelled their disconnect.

But call them. Tell them you want to cancel your service in a couple of weeks. If they 'no, I can't do a future date', then don't schedule it.

15. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    You can schedule your cancellation date up to four weeks in advance. Most likely they will send you an email with special offers and a phone number to call in for the deal. If they don't send the email, call the number anyway and just tell them you did receive the email. The current deal they are offering is $50 off a month for Choice for 12 months, $200 Visa gift card, free Sunday Ticket, and free movie channels for three months. You can find the phone number on the SlickDeals website.

16. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    You need to be careful about cancelling in the future. A year or so ago I called in and told them to cancel in two weeks when my billing was up. The retention rep was very aggressive and tried to talk me out of cancelling. When it was clear I wouldn't change my mind he just hung up. The next morning guess what, he had cut me off at midnight instead of two weeks out. I was going to go to the local cable company anyway but I wanted to watch my recorded shows before sending the unit back. I called the next day and talked to a supervisor who apologized and set me up with new customer perks. $50 off a month for one year, $200 gift card and several other goodies. I was going to cancel but I changed my mind with the new offer so I'm still with them. I'm sure it's an exception but you need to confirm the cancel date since they can mess you up.

17. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I called and told them to cancel my service. They came up with $30 a month off for a year, and downgraded my package (I know I could have done that myself, I never bothered to look into it) to save another $10 a month. It sounds like I could've gotten more if I actually set a date and then tried that big deal thing, but I didn't want to spend any more time on this.

Thanks for all of the replies.