How freaking idiotic is Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scottjf8, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottjf8

scottjf8 Godfather

Oct 5, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I have had no signal all day today because we got a little bit of snow here in Dallas.

I call Directv and they told me the next available appointment is January 7th.

Are you kidding?

I get a manager on the phone and he pretty much degrades me... he doesn't care that I won't be a customer of his anymore.

Last straw.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I just use a broom to clean the snow off the dish.
    Guess you haven't had much snow experience with the dish.

3. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    A couple inches can wreak havoc on a signal. VOS is correct on this one.

I would check your satellite signal strengths once the white stuff melts, and if you signals are strong you can chock this one up to Mother Nature.

4. scottjf8

scottjf8 Godfather

Oct 5, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It's way up on the side of my house, there's zero chance I'm climbing up on anything to get to it.

I'm more pissed off that this idiot "manager" with customer service pretty much sh*t on me. I just sent them a nasty message.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Option 2" is to use a hose and wash it off.

6. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Hopefully it is windy so the water doesn't solidify to ice, then you'd have a mess.

7. bpjones

bpjones Cool Member

Jul 5, 2008
    So, you already knew why your service was out (due to the snow)... what did you expect for them to do for you? Come out same day and sweep the snow off your dish? Come on man- you gotta have reasonable expectations.

8. canesice

canesice AllStar

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Luck255

Luck255 Legend

Mar 4, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    Be glad you dont live where there is an actual winter. I have to sweep off my dish a good half dozen times a winter to keep things up and running. I dont really see how its Directvs fault. They should somehow make it stop snowing? OP seems pretty irrational to me. I doubt the people at D* will miss him much at all :D:D:D

11. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Except that this causes one's dish to become very dirty and grimy. A silicone spray would be more effectively preventative.

12. pbg

pbg Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    This reminds me of my first dish meets snow experience about 4 years ago. We had moved from the Seattle to a remote part of WA State. With no cable access, we were pleased to learn about DirecTV. I was especially pleased to learn about Sunday Ticket….Anyway, we built our house, got the service installed, and at the time they placed the dish under an eve, out of the elements. Our first snowy winter goes by with no issues. The second year we get a correspondence from DirecTV, that we would be able to get our locals in HD, but would need a new dish. The installer came out with the new dish, and it was bigger than the previous one, and wouldn’t fit under the eve. He installed on the top the roof. This was in August, and because we never had an issue the previous year with snow it didn’t dawn on me the implications of having the dish on the roof.

Fast forward to mid football season, and BEARS are playing the NY football Giants on a Monday or Sunday night, when all of sudden the picture goes out. I get the searching for Sat error. I’m freaking and call DirecTV. They do their battery of checks, and seem to think everything should be OK. They ask if we are having any weather, and I tell them its fine out. They keep checking, and I decide to let the dog out. Well low-in-behold, we are having a major snow storm. I look at the dish and it has about a foot of snow on it. I report my new findings to the CSR, and with my tail between my legs, apologize for their time, and start devising my snow removing devise. We had a telescoping brush to wash the second story windows, that worked fine for the evening. The next day I called, and explained how the tech stuck the dish on the roof and we live in an area which gets about 8-10 feet of snow a year. DirecTV was great, sent out a guy the next day, he climbed up on our snow covered roof and moved the dish to a much more lower & accessible place on the roof, where it can now be easily brushed off as needed.

Moral of the story - Snow is just part of it. Think about what you are asking- Do you expect them to come out to everyone's house to brush off their dish every time it snows? Of course they don't have people ready to do that - figure out a way to deal with it, or just chalk it up to a fluke snow storm in Dallas.

13. amorse2183

amorse2183 Legend

May 24, 2006
    well from what I gather people in areas where it's normally not cold or used to snow pretty much go insane when things like that happen. I lived in San Francisco for a couple years, and when it snowed 1/2 inch at most the night before I was leaving forever, people behaved as if the world was coming to an end.

even if the op isn't being rational, as far as I'm concerned a loss of service for 1 minute is unacceptable, so I understand his dilemma

14. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    DirecTV has a rather large customer base.
    They're continuously adding/fixing customers installations.
    They have X amount of techs to serve X area. Some are more ably equipped to deal with than others.

So, being as that today is the 30th, and they said they could have somewhat out on the 7th, that's not so bad. 8 days.
    Personally, I've heard of installations, as in people considering to be customers, being as far as 14-18 days out... These are people who DirecTV is trying to rope in, and they're already X far out.
    The you've got the current customers. These are generally irate customers because their service is out, but they're already roped in. I've heard of service calls being as far as 16-20 days out for them.
    It all depends on your area and who's available to serve you and what kind of man power they have.

So true... Personally here in the desert we're affected by sand storms more than rain/snow (that is, if you're not in suburbia...). People become somewhat ballistic when it snowed here last year. It was as if they had forgotten how to drive, etc. (Reminds me of an episode of 'King of the Hill' where it snows in Texas and everyone is freaking out... Hey that sounds familiar {just poking fun}).

What is it that you do? Who do you work for??
    Nobody's perfect. No machine, no man. No one is 100% reliable. Even the laws of nature can be bent.
    In bad weather conditions, it was quite common for me to lose power at my prior house. I despised the power company for it, but the alternatives we're much more expensive and not something I was willing to deal with.
    When I go to my grand fathers, my cell phone doesn't work. There are no repeaters/towers in the area. I consider that a loss of service, but should I blame my cell company for not having a tower anywhere near a town that serves less than 300 people? (and the nearby towns don't serve more than 500 people each)...

15. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    humorous to me (no offense meant) to see the DFW people complaining about signal from snow.
    wet icy stuff on lnb causes minor issues for me but I mounted where I could reach with brush. second nature here :)

16. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
    If everytime I had to clean the dish off in winter, we had a D* guy come out and do it......well, guess we would have to reserve the guest room for his use!

17. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Amazing how everyone here chooses to ignore the real issue here - a week+ wait for a service call is, indeed, idiotic.

18. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    It is only idiotic if a service call is actually needed.

In this case, one is not needed. Sweep of the dish. All is OK. Wait a few hours for the snow to melt. All is OK. If they had someone respond within 4 hours it would be a waste of time because by then the snow would be melted and the call would not be needed.

19. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Your correct but us old school directv users are still DIY.
    Wet snow is the worst but a super soker works well.

20. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    guess they need to hire standby crews to reduce service call times.
    course that would lead to a large rate increase which would make people complain even more.
    maybe its a week because many other people called first...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.