1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How future-proof is Nomad?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tonypitt, Jan 20, 2012.

1. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    I'd love to be able to have something from DirecTV that gave slingbox-like functionality. It seems like something of that sort may eventually arrive. I've been thinking that in the interim I would get Nomad. I don't want to do that if the more advanced functionality would be available in the near future and be separate from Nomad.

Is the Nomad currently all it will ever be, or is it possible that the future streaming product would be a new Nomad feature? I'm close to placing the order but don't like the idea of spending so much on something that might be "dead end" tech and obsolete in 6 months.

I know a lot of this is speculative, but I was wondering what others might think/suggest?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I think Nomad will continue to evolve via firmware updates.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    On the past few quartly financial conference calls Mike White the CEO has mentioned a number of times that the best quality streaming experience is when the content comes from the provider or broadcast center. So while I agree that the nomad product will probabl see future enhancements via firmware and software IMHO you'll see more of the type of streaming that we see now in the iPad app or from the content providers like HBO2Go. No need for the customer to buy new hardware to get that capability and also no issue with the upstream speed of the customers internet connection being the bottleneck.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I was mainly referring to this post by hdtvfan in the CES thread (now closed):

Upon our 2nd visit witha group of DBSTalkers, we were shown how nomad has progressed to date, as well as some things coming down the pike. We were asked not to share the future things specifically.

That said, it would be fair to say that nomad will have future enhancments and added capabilities as it evolves going forward.

So, it doesn't sound like it will be obsolete in 6 months.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I can tell you this, Nomad development is still going on. This box has a lot to offer and you have not seen the last of it. In addition to other client platforms that have been publicly promised, I have a feeling the software will evolve as well.

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    "Future Proof" implies different things to different people.

It would be very accurate to say that nomad is still at the early stagges of its capabilities and support for mobile platform devices.

That means it will be a viable offering for some time.

7. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    Thanks, everyone. Based on the information provided and the general consensus here, that gave me confidence to place the order.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    There are some quirks I'd like to see worked out, but it delivers what was advertised. Lets just hope DirecTV doesn't pull a "Slacker" and abandon the hardware for an all streaming solution.

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I suspect we'll learn that isn't going to happen.

There are still all sorts of possibilities with nomad.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Glad to hear that. I bought the nomad (and the Slacker G2) because I work in a building that is inside a building that is inside a building. No outside reception for streaming and our LAN blocks any video or music streaming (although they haven't found Spotify yet). Plus with my traveling, I have really come to enjoy what these two devices bring to the table.

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I posted in another nomad thread that I had a long weekend away with nomad at a condo that had wifi but not enough to support streaming - I also took Apple TV with us.

Nomad came through with flying colors. I expect future upgrades to make it viable for a couple of years or more.

I never expected the HR20 that I got in 2007 to still be here in 2012.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    From what we learned at CES from the Morega Folks, there will be considerable Enhancements to Nomad with some very exciting Features and Functionality to be added that will definitely put a Smile on some faces of those who have in the past requested certain things so just be Patient Grasshopper, everything looks Great on the Horizon. :)

13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Wondering how would you like streaming to work?
    I've tried streaming from HBOGO and others while I'm on the road.
    Have to stay in one place for 2 hours to watch a movie or one hour for a show. And need the wi-fi. 3G/4G data rates are too expensive.

Rarely see a need at home. And the big networks probably won't allow it.

How do you think you would make use of real time streaming on a frequent basis?

14. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    I'd like to see what Netflix delivers to my iPad, but with the content coming from my DVR(s). I have a 3G iPad and use Netflix on it when traveling, from work, etc. I find that Netflix works fine for me over 3G, even when wifi is not available.

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You must not use it often because that would eat up your Data Allowance pretty quick unless you have Unlimited Data which is not cheap and becoming harder to find (Sprint is the only one I know of).

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree - just what I was thinking.

Off-loaded content via (nomad) and streamed content are two distinct and different approaches to viewing content on mobile devices.

nomad has a distinct advantage over streaming in that it costs nothing more over the cost of existing (in-place) services.

As wireless services - especially data services - continue to raise their prices and enforce limits....streaming becomes less and less attractive, not to mention the inconsistency of delivery due to marginal connections at times.

Since nomad content is transcoded on the nomad device itself and "downloaded" (delivered) to the mobile device via WIFI....there are shorter dependencies on a network connection of any type - the download step only takes a few minutes for each hour of content.

As stated by several folks earlier, nomad is at it's early stages of evolution - more will be coming...there are multiple possibilities with this great technology....

17. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    I have unlimited data through AT&T. (They offerred this when the iPad came out originally, and customers who bought it during that time have been able to retain it.)

Nonethess, I do realize your point that this is uncommon. I certainly would be happy with a streaming experience possible via wifi.

I suppose the biggest gap I see between what Nomad currently does and what I desire is remote access to content. I'll regularly travel and be away for several days. In those situations I'd love to be able to watch content off my DVR. I'm less concerned about the streaming aspect then I am the remote access. If it were possible to download content to my device remotely I'd be happy, even it it weren't a streaming experience. Basically, I'd like the possibility of designating certain content of interest and have it pushed to my device. This could happen via wifi, ideally in the background. I suppose what I'm describing is a VOD model, with the source being my DVR.

In this situation, it's really not about streaming as it is remote access.

What is being offered now via the DirecTV app--remote viewing of live content--is of almost no interest to me. I don't watch live TV, with the exception of some sports programming. I tried the live streaming once to see how it worked, but I personally find it of no value given my viewing habits.

Continuing this exploration, I suppose if those live streams were delivered as they are now and I could turn my iPad into a DVR, then at that point it might be useful as I could still target particular shows I wanted to watch and timeshift and trick play as desired.

18. jayerndl

jayerndl AllStar

Aug 4, 2007
    I am interested in this also. Are you looking for something less expensive than slingbox or is there some other reason your looking for something other than slingbox? I've never used slingbox but from what I've read it seems to work very well. FYI, Dish has slingbox technology intergrated into one of their DVRs.

Jay

19. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I would think that Directv being Competitive with Dish and others would soon offer a Streaming Service and I have had a few sources even hint that it may be coming Soon so I would just be Patient and see what Directv provides for us in the Future. :)

20. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    I just bought and returned a slingbox this past week. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I wasn't impressed with its performance. That's what motivated me to inquire about Nomad.