1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I Quit Drinking in a World That Wants Me Drunk

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From VICE:

How I Quit Drinking in a World That Wants Me Drunk
    We're taught from an early age that drinking is cool and glamorous. We have to learn for ourselves that it's not.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Very good article.

My wife doesn't drink, not because of some moral reason, but simply because it gives her heartburn or in some cases (white wine) makes her break out. So she simply chooses not to do it.

But you go to a party and don't drink it makes others feel uncomfortable. No idea why, but it does. Not a big deal for our close friend group as they all know why she doesn't, but expand that to other situations and people just don't understand.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I always told that I was the designated driver. That was before I was in the Navy.
    In the very early 90's my second son got a DWI and then a second one 1 week before his probation was up. I jumped all over him for that but he told me that he rode with someone to the party and staid at his friends house til 5 the next morning and he had to get home and change for work. His level had not gone down enough by then to get his second one.
    One day he said to me, "you drink, why do you do it and tell me to stop?". I opened everything that contained alcohol and poured it down the drain.
    To this day, my son will not drink unless he is at home.
    To this day I have not had a drink since.
    I do not fault people for drinking as long as it does not control them.

Rich likes this.
  4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I was always told that I was the designated drunk.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    People that drink have a much different view of the world than those who don't. When you're loaded it's hard to talk to sober people. When you're sober it's hard to talk to a drunk. When you're drunk it's easy to talk to another drunk. I haven't had a drink in years and I'm not comfortable around drinkers...hard drinkers.

Rich

6. Eva

Eva Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Although I own a pub with my cousin - I don't drink except the pop. I never got into the drinking thing.

Some might think "She owns a bar but don't drink," we known the original owners for some time and bought the place when they retired to travel across NA.

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I still drink but took Uber to and from a wedding party a year ago. Good choice!

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't drink... period. It's expensive plus I've seen how it affects "adults".

9. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I got borderline drunk when I was in the army at Ft. Gordon, GA., courtesy of a friendly bartender at the old Sheraton hotel by the Augusta National Golf Course. It was Masters week and the pours were more than generous. I was driving, and I thought to myself, I'd better get back to camp before I get drunk -- stupid me! Got back to the barracks and climbed into my bunk, with one foot on the floor to keep the place from spinning. Lesson learned.
    Like my father before me, Now in my 80's, I still have one drink a day in the evening. I might also have a drink earlier in the day on special occasions., but that's it.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The bad headache the next morning is no fun either.

11. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    No matter what you think the world does not want you drunk.

12. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    I live on the Bourbon Trail in Ky.I have distilleries all around me.Grew up and still live in a rural area was a 11 year fifth of whiskey drinker a day.2 rehabs later i finally gave everything up i was in my late 20's i am in my early 50's now.I thank God everyday for helping getting me off the booze i have lost so many friends and people i know to alcohol even my ex wife and they advertise the crap out of it in this state.We are known as the Bourbon Capital of the world and everywhere you go here is booze signs about booze and booze tastings everywhere here.

Rich likes this.
  13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I definately had my times when I was drinking too much, but nothing like that. More like a once in a while.
    I eventually got to where I was tired of the hangovers, so I made the decision to not get drunk any more. I'm not saying I don't drink, just that it's a much more controlled (usually only 1-2 drinks with dinner), besides - It's pretty darn expensive !

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    There's nothing to understand. You simply don't announce it, and go get something you can drink, and something you hopefully enjoy drinking.

No one but a nascent alcoholic really cares, (because it's threatening to him or her), and in any event, it's none of their business.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Social drinking often involves sharing "what are you having"? Rum and Coke, hold the rum can get noticed. Some people do get upset when one doesn't drink alcohol when it is available ... but it shouldn't bother good friends. If it does bother your friends when you don't drink, get better friends.

Jake Bailey likes this.
  16. Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey New Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Kansas-city
    Also a good company should provide you with non alcoholic party drinks, if they know you're not drinking. No reason to be ashamed of your choice.