1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Ironic McAfee. This may be it.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Rick_EE, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    I recently installed Mcafee VirusScan 7.0. I configured it for automatic updates.

Today I get a little arrow in my tray saying that updates are available. I check them. Turns out the update is an ad for their spamkiller product. Talk about ironic.

I would have liked to be in that meeting. "Let's advertise our anti-spam product with a method 10 times more annoying than spam itself."

If it happens again, goodbye Mcafee.

2. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Doesn't Microsoft own McAfee now?

3. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
  4. ERSanders

ERSanders Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    This is why they invented Norton AntiVirus! Been there and left.

5. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Besides RAV does Microsoft own part of another antivirus company or do they have McAfee integrated into something? Seems like there was something antivirus related with them before the RAV thing came about.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I hated Mcafee (how is that pronounced ;)), Vsheild slowed down my computer more then it should have, I would like updated DAT files when needed not just on Wednesdays, and the email scan missed some things. With Norton, my computer is more stable, I get definitions whenever there Symantec finds out about a new virus and a much more efficient email scanning system, and plus Symantecs online information center, SARC was much better then Mcafee's AVERT IMO.

7. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    They had signed a deal with McAfee about 2 years ago to push their products. I assume this means that you won't see McAfee in Longhorn now...

8. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I still like AVG from Grisoft best. The price is right, free, updates are often available on a daily basis, and I have never had a virus problem when I have had it on a machine. And no spam.