How is the Corona Virus affecting you personally?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Mar 23, 2020 #1 of 118
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do you actually stay in your home all day? Go shopping? Restaurant habits must have changed, how has that affected you?

Personally, I haven't been bothered very much by the whole thing. The TP thing disturbed me at first but we have enough for a few months and keep finding more. Traffic here, which is always an issue, has been light. Our parks are all open and we've been walking. Not many people in the parks.

How 'bout you?

Rich

2. Mar 23, 2020 #2 of 118
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Mostly stay at home anyway, so not a big deal. But just got word that the golf course has to close. That’s a step too far!! :)

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. Mar 23, 2020 #3 of 118
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I live in a tourist town, every day now,the streets look like Sunday morning!....I walk miles everyday with my service dog, shop as little as possible....Not being able to drive and have a 92 year old mother living with me, I go over the top to try and keep both of us safe...
    If they stop us from going out, I have a front deck and and a rear deck, I need fresh air.

4. Mar 23, 2020 #4 of 118
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    We are staying home except for trying to order take out from some local places twice a week. Getting groceries delivered from whole foods and everything else from amazon

5. Mar 23, 2020 #5 of 118
    reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    My wife and I were scheduled to take a 7,000 mile, three month long trip to Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota in our motorhome. We were to leave in two weeks. The trip has been cancelled. This along with the market downfall are what has affected us the most.

We live in a RV resort that usually has activities going on. All of these have cancelled. But we get to use the pool, ride bikes or walk around the resort (1 1/2 miles) and sit outside on our patio and still do social distancing. In our setup we have a small house (736 sf) plus the motorhome.

6. Mar 23, 2020 #6 of 118
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    The virus itself hasn’t affected me personally or anyone I know.

I’ve been staying home the past two weekends, but have gone for walks around the neighborhood only. I’ve been staying off the hiking trails as they’ve been overcrowded and people not following the social distancing thing, from what the news is saying.

I haven’t seen my elderly parents in two weeks, however, they live in a retirement community and have an excellent support system and friends in place for them to use to get things as needed, and have been taking advantage of that. My parents and family understand why I’m keeping my distance and everyone agrees with it.

My work is business as usual, but we are taking every precaution necessary to not come into contact with anyone from the outside. We are working in separate areas of the building and self isolating, and cleaning daily.

I’ve got plenty of supplies and food for the next 2 weeks, and can get more if needed.

My sister, who lives in Michigan, went into lock down today for the next two weeks.

Hopefully this blows over sooner than later.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

Rich likes this.
  7. Mar 23, 2020 #7 of 118
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I’ve been self-isolated since 2010 and with 5 acres between neighbors –internet and deliveries –No worries-when I do go to the store or gas station (NOT OFTEN)have not been since 3/2 - i wear disposable gloves -it helps me as well as everyone else -who has come and gone before me

Rich and jimmie57 like this.
  8. Mar 23, 2020 #8 of 118
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My wife and I are in our seventies and I have been on Humira for a number of years so we both are at a higher risk and have limited our human contact since the start of the pandemic. We live on 52 acres. The only time we travel out is for banking and restocking purposes. We have DIRECTV and subscribe to Premier, Movie Extra and EPIX. On top of that I have a extensive movie and music library complete with a Home Theater Room so there's plenty to watch and listen to in our house. The only thing we miss is being able to eat out at out favorite restaurants.

bmcleod and AZ. like this.
  9. Mar 23, 2020 #9 of 118
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Lot of talk today about shutting the golf courses here. They are shut but it seems folks are playing on the courses. No clubhouses or carts. Life goes on.

Rich

10. Mar 24, 2020 #10 of 118
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    We were to leave on a nine day trip to Estonia tomorrow night, that was cancelled a couple of weeks ago. Daughter's 2 hr behind the wheel driving is cancelled. Her HS started virtual learning last week and is on Spring Break this week; she's going stir crazy as she's used to lots of activities after school. Wife is able to go into her office as she's a sole practitioner and there's no one else there. My day now starts at 5:30 to prepare a number of report outs for 6 and 7 am meetings, then I walk the dog, clean up, make breakfast, and walk back down the hall to "start" my day. Last two weekends I've been pulled into multiple meetings, fun times. In my current role I travel between two sites and regularly work from home, and my home workstation is better than what I have at either of my work sites. That said, I do miss the drive to/from work as it was my time to decompress. Love my wife and daughter, but sometimes wish they'd practice a little more social distancing....:D

11. Mar 24, 2020 #11 of 118
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Except for restaurants - not much effect yet.

12. Mar 24, 2020 #12 of 118
    peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    They banned golf here, but you can still go out for walks and line up at Walmart, Costco, the grocery store, pharmacy or gas station. If they ban fishing I will go crazy.

13. Mar 24, 2020 #13 of 118
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I think closing the golf courses is more about the clubhouse than the course itself. Our local one was wiping down the carts and each player got their own cart before the shutdown order came. And that would have worked fine.

But after a round of golf it is pretty normal to go to the clubhouse for lunch or a drink or a bit of socializing. That’s an issue.

AZ. and Rich like this.
  14. Mar 24, 2020 #14 of 118
    Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I'm seeing more people walking around in my neighborhood. We didn't eat at a lot of restaurants and mainly got to-go food, so that hasn't really changed. Not having kids sports is a big adjustment. We were always on the go to some tournament or event. What's changed more for me is that I'm not looking at as many Internet sites as normal and am pretty much burned out on the 100% total coverage if the virus. So my Internet surfing has gone down quite a bit.

For the golf courses, closing a golf course is just dumb. I heard of one place that put pool noodles on the flag pins and basically said don't pull the pins; as long as you hit the noodle, count it. They also removed all the sand trap rakes and made their courses walk only. To me, that's pretty much perfect social distancing and a great way to get exercise. They can close the clubhouse and just have people check-in outside and be done.

peano and Rich like this.
  15. Mar 24, 2020 #15 of 118
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My wife works from home three days a week normally. Now she's home all the time and...

Rich

Herdfan likes this.
  16. Mar 24, 2020 #16 of 118
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't help but wonder what life is gonna be like when the virus runs its course. I don't think social distancing is gonna go away quickly.

Rich

17. Mar 24, 2020 #17 of 118
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A lot of restaurants here in NJ are gonna go under if this lasts much longer.

Rich

18. Mar 24, 2020 #18 of 118
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Unfortunately not just NJ, pretty much nationwide. Especially the small locally owned ones. It all depends on how long this social distancing goes on.

19. Mar 24, 2020 #19 of 118
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not just restaurants; all kinds of businesses will go under.

I really wonder about my local barber - third generation barber at the same location for over 40 years. $9.50 for a haircut.

20. Mar 24, 2020 #20 of 118
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sounds like the powers that be want this over and done with. For the reasons above.

Rich