How Long Can I Keep A New Unactivated HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by adamson, Jul 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Any issues with this? I want a backup HR44-700 in case current one dies.

Thanks

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    According to the contract, 30 days. After that, you will be charged for the receiver

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    PROGRAMMING AGREEMENT AND TERMS. To keep costs down for you, we provide dishes and standard installation at reduced or no cost. In exchange, we ask that you remain a customer for a specified period of time. Specifically, you agree that, within 30 days of getting DIRECTV equipment (either provided to you or installed professionally), you will activate your receiver(s)/Genie Mini(s) and subscribe to a base level of programming, valued at $29.99/mo. or above, which may consist of a DIRECTV base programming package (English or Spanish language); OR a qualifying international language a la carte service bundled with either BASIC CHOICE or PREFERRED CHOICE. If you do not activate each DIRECTV Receiver/Genie Mini, you agree that DIRECTV or the authorized retailer from whom you obtained the equipment may charge you $150 per receiver/Genie Mini as liquidated damages

http://www.directv.c..._lease_addendum

Emphasis mine

Obviously this only applies to LEASED equipment. If the equipment is OWNED, it does not matter

4. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Who will charge me for the receiver? Purchased on ebay btw. How will the seller know I never activated it in a timely manner?

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If I am reading this correctly you already have an activated HR44 on your account and just bought this one as a backup if you need it.
    If you bought this one on Ebay, did you call DirecTV to see if it is an owned or leased receiver ?
    If it is owned, according to what Peds posted there does not appear to be a problem just letting it sit.
    If it is not owned there is probably a major problem, like they would never activate it possibly.
    And, that 2 of these are not currently allowed on 1 account.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Purchased on eBay could fit into one of several possible categories, so be VERY careful.
    1. From a dealer who is providing new leased equipment, in which case the provisions noted by Peds48 apply.
    2. From an individual who has a leased HR44 and isn't authorized to sell it, in which case you will never be able to activate it.
    3. From (an extremely rare) individual who happens to have an owned HR44, in which case it will be owned by you.

To avoid 2, and assure 3, you must get the Receiver ID number from the seller (before committing to buy), and call the Access Card Department of DirecTV and confirm the unit is owned, and that you will be able to activate it on your account if you buy it. If that is true, then you can buy it and sit on it for as long as you like. However, my recommendation would be to activate it promptly, then deactivate it and hold it. However, if you already have a Genie, you won't be able to do that.

Better to check the buy/sell/trade forum here than to gamble on eBay. More likely you'll find an actual owned HR44.

7. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Im sure it is not owned...100%

I talked to Directv once about doing this and they stated I could sit on it as long as I want. In this case who will know I have it here collecting dust??

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Then is a moot point as you wont be able to activate it. You can however sit on it for as long as you want!

9. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    OK...

One of the receivers the seller had was opened for his picture for a lot of 5 receivers. All are new and no mention of 2 year contract etc upon activation. Directv was able to run the id of the one in photo as the green sticker with id was visible. The one in picture was owned and just activated two days ago. So I guess I just got an owned HR44-700 for $145.00 brand new. Was told I could let it sit and activate it any time.

Also there is one left for $145 for anyone interested! Does not state it is a 700 but I questioned the seller prior to purchase and it is.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct, since is OWNED, you can sit on it for as long as you want. You can also active and deactivate at will whiteout having to send the DVR back.

11. JGL

JGL AllStar

Aug 2, 2007
    As long as the one in the picture which was verified as owned was the one you got...

12. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    When I was a dealer we had a form online to fill out reporting our sales of Directv receivers. Directv tracks the inventory of their dealers.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Personally, I wouldn't go by the other HR44, I'd call 877-887-7994 and enquire about the actual box you got.

Also keep in mind if you do ever need to use it, you'd need a new access card at $20.

14. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Also if there past due on the card or receiver you will have to pay it before DirecTV will active it. This happen to someone I work with.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The only ID that matters is the ID of the one that you have. eBay sellers have a long history of reusing each other's pictures.

I wouldn't be surprised if resellers weren't expected to report which IDs they've shipped. Many companies do that to establish warranty coverage start dates.

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    A lot of five HR44's?

Any chance they fell off a truck?? Better than 50-50 I'd guess.......

17. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    nice...

they all sold and the seller is a satellite co...has 5 more today

18. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    BTW I spoke to engineering and even if it is not owned they stated I could store it as long as I want and activate it later. I cannot see in any way how I will be charged more for not activating it in 30 days.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That part we can agree on, activating a LEASED receiver from someone else's account, not so much.

The Lease Addendum ONLY applies from receives you get from DIRECTV® or an authorize retailer. If you get a LEASED receiver from a private party, that person wuold get charge a NRF and as such you get to hold the boat anchor for as long as you want.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When you buy a receiver from an authorized 3rd party dealer, you agreed to Terms and Conditions. The dealer (or DIRECTV®) will change the fee to the credit card used for the purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.