1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take to activate changes in premiums?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ExitWound, Apr 27, 2008.

1. ExitWound

ExitWound Cool Member

Jan 30, 2008
    I've looked around but haven't been able to find the answer I'm looking for. Apologies if I missed it while searching.

My 3months of free HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Showtime is up on May 14th. If I drop/change my premium subscriptions tomorrow (april 28th), will I keep them until my next billing cycle starts, or will they immediately disappear from my programming? And how close can I get to the May 14th deadline before I'm charged for the next month?

Thanks!

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Dropping the premiums is pretty much immediate. You should be able to drop on the very last free day without incurring a charge. And if you miss by a day or two, the charges will be prorated anyway.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. ExitWound

ExitWound Cool Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks! just the answer I was looking for!

4. teamfx

teamfx New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    That makes both of us. Mine is up on the 15th, yet I am considering keeping HBO & Starz. I wonder if that Showtime discount is still in effect, though. That'd be a big help.

5. kaszeta

kaszeta AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    My experience has been that activating and deactivating premiums is nearly instantaneous (minutes).

And, as others have noted, they are good at prorating, as long as you don't go hog-wild with changes.

6. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    If you make changes within 30 days of the last time you made changes they'll charge you an extra $10.

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Not entirely true. If you have had a NEW premium service for less than 30 days, you'll be hit with the $10 charge. If you simply changed premium services in the last 30 days, but had the same number of premium services for more than 30 days, you'll not be charged the $10. For example, if you have had two premium servies for a year, but you changed one from Showtime to Starz two weeks ago and then decided to drop down to one premium, you would not get billed the $10.

The charge is there only to discourage those who would subscribe to a premium service for a weekend (to see a boxing match, for example) and then cancel the service.

However, to answer your first question, you could call in anytime in the last 30 days and request that DirecTV disconnects the premium channels on the day they go paid.