1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take you to download a show?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by CalGal, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1 of 12
    CalGal

CalGal Mentor

Feb 16, 2009
    Ok, finally hooked up! Yeah!

It just takes FOREVER to download a show to the DVR. I am thinking it is because the room where I connected it doesn't get the fasted wireless, even with my wireless, but I wanted to ask you guys how long it should take (I have a 7 mpbs speed cable modem.)

I may need to move it to the other DVR and see if that goes faster.

It is taking over 30 min. to download a 50 min. HD show.

Thanks,

Dawn

2. Mar 5, 2009 #2 of 12
    miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    That speed isn't bad for wireless. You can start watching it before the entire thing is downloaded.

3. Mar 5, 2009 #3 of 12
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    What show/channel?

I will test it tonight on my 6mbps DSL...

4. Mar 5, 2009 #4 of 12
    CalGal

CalGal Mentor

Feb 16, 2009
    I was downloading season 3 of Dexter from Showtime.

Dawn

5. Mar 6, 2009 #5 of 12
    oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    It takes me a little over an hour to download a 44 min episode of The Beast with a wireless G connection to a nominal 5-7 Mbps broadband cable internet connection on a good night.

6. Mar 6, 2009 #6 of 12
    CalGal

CalGal Mentor

Feb 16, 2009
    Well, I am thinking that I underestimated the time because 4 hours later it was only on the third episode I asked it to download.

I think I need to pick shows before bed so that it can download while we aren't using the computer.

Dawn

7. stsrep

stsrep AllStar

Mar 10, 2007
    I started to download year of the dragon in HD yesterday when I left for work at 6:45 a.m.
    When I got home at 5:15 37% had been downloaded.
    What a crock.I stopped and deleted cause I was afraid of burning up my DVR it had been downloading for so long.
    This system really seems useless unless D** is driving their chosen movies to you.
    HR20-700,networked wireless.
    Kinda ridiculous to even use this service.

8. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    I just hooked a wireless ethernet bridge (G) to my DVR. It's in the process of slowly downloading an HD movie. Would wireless N be significantly faster (not sure I will use the service enough to justify the cost)?

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Even slow WiFi is faster than most internet connections.

10. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    It takes me about 1 1/2 times the length of an HD show. SD is about real time. 5mbs DSL

11. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    I also have a 5 Mbs DSL connection, and find that SD tends to load at faster then real time (60 minute show takes around 40 minutes to load), so I can watch these after less then a minute of download without any hiccups. HD takes around 1.5x real time, so a 60 minute show takes around 90 minutes to load. I can reliably start these after less then 1/2 the show loads. The bandwidth used by these downloads will take at least 4 out of the 5 Mbs I have.

One this I noticed is if someone else in the house is using the internet for something fairly continuous (like my son playing online video games, or someone doing a VOIP call) then the total bandwidth used by everyone does NOT add up to the amount my ISP can deliver. For instance, a 4Mb movie download by itself, and a 1Mb video game by itself don't add up to the 5Mb I get from my ISP, I will only see around 3Mb total for both streams. It would seem that either my router, or something further downstream from me is added a bit of inefficiency when multiple streams are being delivered.

12. angelzofmadness

angelzofmadness Cool Member

Feb 17, 2009
    a 30 min (SD) show takes me about 20 mins to download on 6Meg DSL (ATT)