1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long to return old HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mbuser, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 7, 2007 #1 of 15
    mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    DirecTV sent me a replacement HR20 because of recurring 771 errors on tuner 1. I received it this morning, but I'm reluctant to switch it out and lose all the stuff that's already recorded until after I try adding a sonora signal locker to the system. How long do I get to keep both before they try to bill me for the replacement? My guess would be a couple of weeks, but I wonder if anyone knows for sure.

2. Nov 7, 2007 #2 of 15
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It is suppose to be return within 7 days.

3. Nov 7, 2007 #3 of 15
    naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    7 days and then bam $470 automatically billed

4. Nov 7, 2007 #4 of 15
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I got dinged for $325 - $300 for the box plus sales tax. Tech took box when they replaced it because of a bad OTA tuner. Apparently it didn't get returned to D* within allotted time -- 7 days or whatever.

Took a long phone call and three months before credit showed up on my bill.

Bill

5. Nov 7, 2007 #5 of 15
    sjr14221

sjr14221 Cool Member

Sep 12, 2007
    what were your problems? I got my hr20-100 on oct 27. three times, now, including yesterday and the day before, the tuner would not come on from standby without multiple reboots. Once it did come on, it would get stuck in a 771 error for a while, until it decided it was ready to come on.

I will receive a replacement unit tomorrow or friday and will be in the same boat of wanting to watch what I have already recorded before switching machines (or even trying to determine if the replacement (likely refurb) machine will give me the same problems as the 'new' one.

Seven days is not much time to figure it out!

6. Nov 7, 2007 #6 of 15
    sjr14221

sjr14221 Cool Member

Sep 12, 2007
    And why does every technician at dtv swear that they have never encountered the problems I am having, when a quick look at this forum gives an astounding number of same, similar, or worse problems with these machines?

This has really dampened my enthusiasm for the new HD programming. Guess I will have to buy the protection plan - these machines are apparently worth a dime a dozen!

7. Nov 7, 2007 #7 of 15
    mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    If there's rain fade tuner 2 comes back quickly but tuner 1 either recovers slowly (10 minutes or so) or not at all, in which case I have to reset the box. I'm not positive, but whether tuner 1 recovers or not seems to depend on the recording status of the machine. If tuner 1 is recording a reset is required. The time tuner 1 came back in a few minutes, there was nothing being recorded on tuner 1, and tuner 2 was the live tuner. In all cases signal strength is 0 for tuner 1 on all transponders for all satellites, normal strength for tuner 2.

I have also had the signal drop without explanation when there was no apparent reason for rain fade. In those instances I'm not aware of exactly when the signal loss occurred, making additional debugging difficult.

I have verified that the signal loss stays with tuner 1 by switching cables. Have had two service call. The first guy was totally clueless. The second guy was a lead tech, and he insisted it was a bad tuner and ordered the replacement box. My feeling is that if there were bad tuners out there, the problem would occur with tuner 1 as well as tuner 2. From everything I've seen on these boards, that is not the case.

Quite a few posters have mentioned that the problem can be resolved by inserting a sonora signal lock between the dish and the multiswitch, and I'd like to try that out but would have no time to if the box has to be returned within a week. I haven't ordered one online yet, and know of no local sources for the device.

My gut feeling is that this is at least partially a software issue, with the software having trouble readdressing the tuner, maybe because of a timeout of some sort. There might also be a problem with the device driver for the tuner causing the software to not recognize tuner 1 after it drops out. I also noticed that while tuner 1 has zero signal strength, the signal strength test function under setup works v e r y s l o w l y. After reset, the response returns to normal. Signal fluctuation at the LNB's has also been mentioned as a possiblity, which would explain why the sonora solves the problem.

8. Nov 7, 2007 #8 of 15
    mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    Is it seven days to pickup by FedEx, or seven days to receipt by DirecTV?

9. Nov 7, 2007 #9 of 15
    Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Seven days from the delivery date of the replacement box.

10. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    Yea, I understood that part. But does DirecTV have to have the old HR20 back in their hands by the seven days, or does it have to be in the hands of FedEx and being transported to them?

11. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Old HR20 back in their hands by the seven days.

12. tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    I actually know the correct answer to this question because I called and asked :)

If DirecTV does not receive the box in 7 days then they put a charge on your account. However you have more days (30 rings a bell) to actually return it and the charge is removed.

Just call them and ask, that's what I did, they also extended the 7 to 28 for me without a charge because I called.

13. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    They may say you have seven days, but in my case that didn't seem to matter at all. I sent an H20 back to them from FL to their address in TN the same day the replacement H20 arrived. They had it in TN 2 days later, according to FedEx. They still auto-charged my credit card and didn't credit my account until the next billing cycle. It took months to work off the resulting credit.

If you have a return to process and are on auto-charge, especially with a debit to your bank account, you should cancel that method of payment until the dust settles. Retain evidence of shipping your receiver, and print the delivery details as well from the shipper's website. Get a signed receipt showing the model and serial number of any receiver picked up by a local D* representative in exchange for a new receiver as well.

14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Earlier this year when I had an HR20 replaced, I didn't return it for 3 weeks. I had gone on vacation when they new one showed up so for the first 10 days, it sat on the porch the whole time (and it was still there!). During that time, I got a recorded message reminding me to return it and a letter reminding me to return it.

The letter had a return due date 30 days after they sent the replacement.

Also be sure to have a receipt that you either dropped off the Fed Ex pkg or that it was picked up. If it's lost in transit, you need proof that you turned it over to Fed Ex.

15. Mike32280

Mike32280 AllStar

Oct 11, 2007
    early this year---New Years day to be exact----my HDTivo STB and D* replaced it with an HR20----I was promptly charged within 2 weeks i think for not returning it....well for whatever reason it wasn't until July that I actually sent it back, and a week later I had a full credit on my bill....so they are apparently pretty generous in crediting the charge back to your account after you incur it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.