1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you have your dish 1000 installed on your roof

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mikeinaustin, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinaustin

mikeinaustin AllStar

May 20, 2004
    Any issues with water leakage? Roof damage during high wind situations?

Also, i believe you aren't technically alowed to do your own install but i know lots of you have. what is the trick? do i order unit (say 622), set an install date, when equipment arrives install myself, call dish to cancel install date, call back to activate unit? let me know what you did. currently already have a 6000 with dish 500 but am dumping both.

thanks.

2. jessshaun

jessshaun Legend

Sep 13, 2005
    I don't have a Dish 1000, but I haven't had an issue with leakage or any damage to the roof since my SuperDish was installed on the roof last year, and we've had some major storms in the area during the last month. Including 1 tornado in town on Easter evening.

3. The intimidator

The intimidator AllStar

Apr 14, 2006
    I do not suggest you install this dish yourself unless you have a signal meter.
    Can be tricky. If you upgrade to the hd the dish and installation should come with everything. You would have to pay the upgrade fee.
    No more super dish as of this month yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I hate those big honken dishes.......

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Mine's been up for several years now on the roof and no leakage. Though, I admit I had some initial concern, so I was happy that my dishes actually are installed on the roof over the garage portion of my home so IF it ever started to leak, there wouldn't be anything inside the house that would be damaged... so I'd just have to patch the roof.

I would probably have been more nervous installing on the roof over a portion of my regular living quarters, though I have known many people with that type of install that haven't had any issues.

NEW STUFF BELOW...
    ---------------------------
    Oh, I should have clarified when I originally posted this... I have a Dish500 and a Dish300 mounted on my roof. No Dish1000... but lots of holes in the roof for the two dishes that I do have, and no leaks thus far.

5. markyd21

markyd21 Legend

Mar 28, 2006
    As far as the roof mounts go, if you are being installed by any credible contractor, or retailer that has been quality assurance managed by DNS (echostar's internal installation and service department) then they will use the tar patch kits on the foot of the mast as it is being installed. I have used these for 5+ years and have never had a problem reported back to me. Make sure your installer has these tar patch kits. Dish does not send out the Dish1000 or applicabe LNBFs/Switches, so you would have to wait for the installer to bring these.

6. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    My installer (DNS) pre-drilled the holes, then filled them with silycone, then screwed the plate to the roof. This was the same installer who installed the 300 and 500 several years ago, using the same method....never any leaks.
    The 300 is still in use (61.5), and the 1000 has been up for about a month...no leaks. He mounted the 2 DPP44's inside.

7. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Installation of the "new" Dish1000 is no different than the DirecTV Phase I/II installations that I did years ago. The dishes are similar in size, shape, and weight. A Dish1000 is a great deal safer to install on a roof than a SuperDish. I refuse to install a SuperDish(or similar size dish like StarBand & DirecWay) on a roof due to liability issues. A SuperDish has a lot more surface area than a D500 and a whole lot more wind load(which is the real problem). So long as the mounting plate is atually secured properly into a truss and not only into the sheeting it will be fine. Generally a 2 3" lags in the center of the mount into the truss and 1 1.5" lag at all 4 corners(with threads that go all the way to the head) to stabilize the mount. Of course, silicone is a good sealant, tho some will claim that silicome will mess up ashphalt shingles. They also sell a pad that goes between the mount and the roof which is made of a tar like material which works really good as well. Later

8. billcg

billcg Mentor

Apr 2, 2006
    If you are really concerned, there is a package that is used on the roof that does not involve holes in the roof. When Dish installed my 500 dish several years ago, they insisted of using a Weingard package that consists of a " felt" pad and a metal frame onto which the dish pole can be installed. It requires 2-4 concrete blocks to hold it down. I had to pay for this ($100) even though it a "free" install.

This system continues to work just fine including my 1000 dish install last week.

9. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    Predrilling, then filling the holes with silicone works well, as does the "pitch patch" (little tar pads), both methods meet DNSC standards. I would also add that whenever I have to go to a roof for a mount, I try to mount to an eave or another area of the roof that is not over a living area. 2 years doing this, no complaints of roof leaks.

And as Billcg mentions, the "non-penetrating roof mount" (non-pen, in the vernacular) is the best option for flat roofs, although it should have 6 cinder blocks holding it down, and by no means should he have been charged for it.

10. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Nope, no issues to date. I live in an area that frequently sees high wind conditions and I have had multiple dishes up on my roof for many years.

Oh, and I installed all my own equipment.

Some installers will refuse to mount dishes to a roof.

Attached Files:

11. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Actually that is incorrect. Any kind of mount like a tripod to go higher or that non-penetrating roof mount is NOT part of the basic installation and can be charged to the customer. I don't give away what I have to buy that I don't get re-imbursed for.

12. mungaman

mungaman Cool Member

Apr 21, 2006

Well, if the customer is going through a contractor or retailer, then yes, they can be charged but i've noticed that if one goes through a DNSC, then they usually aren't charged, though i guess that would be up to the manager.

13. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    Both my 1000 and 500 are roof mounted. No issues at all. The installer used a liberal amount of sealant.

14. Lorax

Lorax AllStar

Apr 22, 2002
    My installer guaranteed installation free from leakage for 55 yrs. It says any leaks or problems will be insured and fixed by them......I wanted mine on a pole but when they showed me this - I was ok with the roof.

15. pinkey2u

pinkey2u Cool Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I have the Dish1000 along with the Dish 500 "dedicated for the 129 satellite" installed side by side with sealant added during time of installation. I believe some people have the wrong impression about how large the Dish1000 really is. I took measurements across the face of both dishes and listed them as follows:

Dish1000.....18"H X 23"W
    Dish500....22 1/4"H X 20 1/2"W

Although the Dish1000 is 2 1/2" wider than the Dish500 it is 4 1/4" shorter in height.

16. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Side by Side comparison, Courtesy of Mark Lamutt in this thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. kf4omc

kf4omc Godfather

Apr 11, 2006
    I live here in Huricane country. My Instaler put my dish 500 on the side of my house just below the eve. That way when a hurricane does come it is not above roof level and the house will offer some protection from the wind.

18. sat tech

sat tech AllStar

Jan 16, 2006
    I would let the rsp (regional service provider) upgrade your dish. most of the time that would be the procedure. E* will send you the 622 and set up and installation time. The installer will install the dish 1000,hook up and activate the reciever. I always use a plyseal mastic on all asphalt based roofs. silcone on the roofing could void the warranty. there is a lot of things that could go wrong. E* will not warranty any install done by the customer. there should be no extra charge for the install just the 18 month commitment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.