How much does it cost to add new phone jacks for DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Thinking, Apr 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinking

Thinking New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Unfortunately my 2 TVs I have setup for Direct TV are not close to a existing phone jack, and one of them cannot be run under the carpet since the current jack is in the kitchen on the wall.

How much would you expect it should cost to add a phone jack for each TV?

I'm ordering the NFL package, so I guess I need to connect each TV to a phone line to access the package. I want to view the games from both TVs.

Are there any other options out there verses adding new jacks?

2. ken4kne

ken4kne Legend

Apr 19, 2002
    Just purchase a remote phone jack. There is a receiver and transmitter. You can buy them seperately, adding as many receivers as you like. the transmitter is plugged into a wall socket near your phone. Run a phoneline into it. The recievers are then plugged into wall sockets whereever you need a phone line. Run a phone line from your sat receiver, tivo, or phone to the receiver and you have your phone connection. It isn't high enough quality for a computer as a rule but plenty fine for this application.

3. Thinking

Thinking New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Thanks Ken.

I had seen something on that, but wasn't sure it was good for Direct TV.

I think they're around $80-100, right?

Do you know of anyone who has used these for Direct TV?

4. ken4kne

ken4kne Legend

Apr 19, 2002
    My brother-in-law does. If it helps, when directv came out, many had this problem and RCA came out with this product as a DBS accessory. That is expensive. Plan to pay about 45- 50 though.

I'll look and get back with you.

5. ken4kne

ken4kne Legend

Apr 19, 2002
    OK, I was wrong about hooking a computer to them. This model seems to bea Rols Royce but it sin't priced too bad. This company is quite good also. There is a diagram on the webpage.

http://www.smarthome.com/4509.html

6. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Check out Ebay first. I got new ones for $25. and they work well.

7. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    To add another phone jack will cost approx $10-$15 for each one. You just need enough CAT5 (I suggest using CAT5 for telephone wiring but if you're REALLY on a budget bell wire works OKAY) and some phone jacks (a couple dollars each). Why mess with wireless? Real phone jacks are installed in less than a half hour and are far cheaper and better sounding.

8. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    "Real phone jacks are installed in less than a half hour and are far cheaper and better sounding."

Depending on the house, that is.

9. ken4kne

ken4kne Legend

Apr 19, 2002
    True, but it doesn't allow you to play with neat electronic toys. ;)

10. Thinking

Thinking New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Just a quick update --- thanks for all of the input.

I ended up buying 2 RCA RA930 Wireless Modem Jacks on eBay for $75 delivered (less than half the cost if I bought them at Circuit City).

I figured since I was not going to do the install myself (not that handy), I would have spent more if I paid someone to install 2 new phone jacks.

I received both units, tested them and I'm all set.

Thanks -- I never would have gone the wireless route without the input from this board -- thanks again.

And bring on Football season.

11. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    No offense meant, but why bother with running all that wire through/around walls when it costs $30 for wireless? Plus, about a month ago I saw extensions for wireless phone signal senders on eBay for $8.99 + $3 shipping. What a deal!

I can see adding phone jacks if you're actually going to use them for a telephone, but for DBS? Sounds like a bother to me...unless I'm a super-handyman that doesn't mind spending the better part of a day drilling/pulling/fastening, it makes no sense...at least to me.

Half an hour? On a 3-liter of Mountain Dew, maybe! :lol:
    Better sounding? Why would a phone jack for DBS need to sound good at all? I too have the wireless phone hookup for D*. It's hidden, and it took about 5 min., literally, to hook everything up. It's the way to go.

--BearsFan

12. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    "No offense meant, but why bother with running all that wire through/around walls when it costs $30 for wireless? Plus, about a month ago I saw extensions for wireless phone signal senders on eBay for $8.99 + $3 shipping. What a deal!"

Those are poor quality. Also remember that wireless adds to your electricity bill, so that further increases the cost of wireless.

"Half an hour? On a 3-liter of Mountain Dew, maybe!"

It depends on the house. I'm in a single level house on a crawlspace, so there is very little hassle when wiring. But even in the worst case situation you really don't need to worry much about hiding wires in the basement, and your problem is fishing wires up walls. Total time would still only be a couple hours on a weekend - a far better deal than wireless. And you don't need three litres of Mountain Dew. Two litres works just fine.

"Better sounding? Why would a phone jack for DBS need to sound good at all?"

Future use. Also provides more reliable and faster modem connections (which doesn't really matter, but still).

13. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    LOL! :lol: Poor quality? That's your opinion. With a wireless set up, we're not asking for a crystal-clear phone line or even a "quality" phone line. All we're asking it to do is provide an outlet for our receiver to call D* and verify our acct. once per month.

Plus, on the advice from someone in another forum, someone who's used DBS for years, they've had Z-E-R-O problems with theirs. Never had anything burn out/quit on them...sounds like a quality product to me!

An increase in one's electricity bill? Oh, come on now...by what, a few cents per month? :rolleyes:

I'll see your 2 liters and raise you one! :) Right, it's all relative...but the wireless set up takes minutes, as opposed to even a few hours. I should've said wireless is better for those in an apt. or a condominnium where we're not allowed to drill/mess with wiring.

This I'll give you too, if you're in a home/your own property. If I had my own place, yeah, I'd probably take a full weekend and add a phone jack. In the meantime, I ain't gonna lose my security deposit because I drilled some holes...I'll spend the extra $0.30 cents per month on a wireless set up... :hi:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.