1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I hook this up?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Greg Alsobrook, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    ok... got my new TV... so now I can finally use HDMI in the living room... here is what I have...

HR20
    PS3
    Sony TV
    Sony Receiver

I'm going to run an HDMI from the HR20 and the PS3 straight to the TV... now... as for the sound...

Should I use the optical output on the TV so I can just run one cable to the audio receiver (this way the input on the receiver could stay the same)... or.... should I run separate optical cables from the HR20 and the PS3 straight to the receiver...

My fear is that running it through the TV is just asking for lip sync issues...

What do you guys think?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You may not really have a choice because most TVs will not pass Dolby Digital on the audio output if the signal has come in through HDMI, all you get is PCM stereo. So connecting the audio directly to the audio receiver is the correct way to do it.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Try them both and see what happens.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Supposedly my Philips TV will pass audio from HDMI back out to the receiver for a more voicematched experience. Truth is it doesn't seem to work at all. You can try it with your setup which is quite different from mine, I wish you luck.

5. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    hmm... i guess then job #1 is going to be figuring out whether or not it will output DD...

6. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    would love to know if this works if it does then may set up mine that way.

7. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    ok... according to the spec page... it does....

Digital Audio Output(s)
    1 (side) Dolby® Digital Optical Output

i'm just wondering if what you said is correct... whether or not it coming from am HDMI input would make a difference...

8. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    i'm still wondering though... even if it does output DD... is this asking for lip sync issues? does anyone else have it hooked up like this?

9. reggie

reggie Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    I have it hooked up like this. It does not appear to have any different lip sync issues. I just listened with both tv sound and stereo sound and the sound was in sync between the two sources (I did not hear an echo).

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Many TVs don't actually tell you, or you have to dig deep into the specs to find it.
    You can just try it and see if your audio receiver thinks it is receiving DD from HDMI passthru. Of course you will get DD from OTA...

11. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I suggest you run HDMI directly to the tv and then run optical from the tv to the stereo.

That is how I have mine setup and it works great. I can leave one input on the receiver for all the HDMI inputs on the TV.

-mk

12. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    cool... thanks for the info... i will give it a shot and report back...

13. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The optical out on my TV only works when viewing OTA digital channels. None of the HDMI inputs will do the audio pass-through.

:)

14. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Congrats on the TV! Yeah even though the specs say it will output DD (like with OTA), doesn't mean it will pass through that DD HDMI input, unfortunately.

15. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    ahh... makes sense... oh well... guess I will just run an optical from each one to the receiver.... thanks guys!

16. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Just hooked my ps3 and hd-a30 up this way and is working.

17. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    What you suggest is exactly what I just did a few weeks ago. It makes everything much easier. I am using my TV's optical audio out to my Sony AV system. Sync has not been much of a problem either.

I used to have all of the seperate componants connect to different inputs on my AV system. But the more I thought about it, I thought it was totally unnessissary. I still get awesome dolby 5.1 with this setup.

18. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Mine works so well that now I have to check and see what it is doing... It sure seems like 5.1 surround sound.

19. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    You really should try with one optical out from the tv and see if it is working to your specifications. If not then expand from each one to the reciever. Don't you think???

20. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    thanks for posting... i may just have to try it after all... maybe if I call sony tech I will luck out and get someone that actually knows.... doubt it though... let me know what you find out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.