1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How stupid can you get!!

Discussion in 'The OT' started by JM Anthony, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Was adjusting the handle on my lawn mower a couple of weeks back when it fell (the handle, not the mower) pinching my thumb between one of the rails. The base of the nail detached and was sticking out about 1/4" or so. A trip to our health co-op got me sympathy and a butt full of Demerol.

Last week I had to have the nail removed. The chunk of flesh in the photo, my little mountain, was pushing the nail into the quick, so I was in mild pain all the time. Getting the nail removed even after being drugged up, wasn't a real thrilling experience either.

When I look back over my run in with the mower, I wonder, "how could I have been that stupid??" Any other stupid stories out there??

Attached Files:

2. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    OK, well couldn't find it so I had to rewrite it anyway. :rolleyes:

Background: I installed a dishwasher where there previously was none back in February. The installation itself was fairly straightforward, the right size cabinet opening (gave up some space) next to the sink, already had a disposal with the punch-out for the DW drain, and already had the wiring on its own circuit that used to go to an electric baseboard heater in a bedroom. So that left the water supply. I've got old galvanized coming up for the cold, but the hot had been replaced by copper tubing. So that's where a previous owner had decided would be a good idea to hook up the ice maker line. :rolleyes: I wanted to change this, since I was gonna have to break into it all anyway. (I'll try to leave out some of those details, but it was a huge PITA!) I wanted to change out the 1/4" copper tubing for the ice maker with some of the braided stuff, cuz the original compression fitting was leaking at the fridge and the braided stuff has EASY connections, complete with rubber gaskets. :D

I was behind the fridge to hook up the new line and cut a small notch out of the back of the cabinet (the new line with its attached fittings has a larger diameter than the old) with a small hacksaw blade, the kind with the little plastic handle, and the blade just sticking out the other end. (This tool has found a million uses at my house! :D :lol: ) I had the new line hooked up and my notch cut, but had realized the large coil of copper line was attached to the back of the fridge by some clip screwed on with maybe a 3/16" hex-head screw, no slot. I didn't want to leave it back there to collect dust.

I was kinda wedged back in behind the fridge and didn't want to get up and get the pipe cutter or go hunting for the right size socket, so I decided to use my trusty-rusty hacksaw blade. While hacking away on the old copper tubing, in a hurry, mind you since I was ALMOST done with the entire project, the blade slipped and I sliced my thumb open on the top (part thumb, part nail). A very jagged injury to be sure. Now, I'm not used to making the kind of mistakes where I end up seeing my own blood. I just had to quit and put an ice pack on it and not think about the throbbing pain. I'm actually really surprised I didn't pass out! It had pretty much quit hurting by the next day, but I kept bumping it and was afraid I would hit it with something, so the last few loose ends were slow going. I'm sure I should have had stitches, but I'm deathly afraid of needles. :nono2:

The nail has healed, but I still have a scar.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Watch this space.

4. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    How about this...

I wanted to drill a hole (1/4" or so) in a small piece of wood and didn't want the wood to splinter as the drill went out the other side. I grabbed a piece of 2x4 to back it up, holding both small pieces in my left hand. As the bit went through the piece I wanted to drill, it perfectly lined up with the big hole that already existed in the 2x4 (which I failed to notice).

Since I was pushing hard on the drill at the time, the bit made a nasty hole in my left palm. I'm sure the people at the hospital had a good chuckle over that one.

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Hmmm. Maybe power tools need to be banned on the left coast. :D

6. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Ouch! Hope you didn't "screw" up your hand too much. Seriously, with all the tissue in your hand it would have been easy to do some major damage.

7. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, there was the time I was working on my car, performing tests with the engine running. I reached down to grab something. Fortunately the fan blade hit my thumbnail and knocked my hand back away from the fan. Did you know that when fans are spinning at several thousand RPM they are virtually invisible. :lol: It hurt, but I was more shocked than anything else.

One is enough for now. :D

8. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Ditto! :D

9. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    You people go to the hospital for these nicks and cuts?:nono: Little wonder health care costs are astronomical!

Unless a bone is broken or a limb is hanging by a few shreds of tissue, clean it with soap and water, rinse with alcohol or peroxide:eek:, slap a band-aid on and get back to work!!!

The human body is a miraculous healing machine. Take it from someone who's worked with mechanical devices all their life, personal and as a profession, and whose forearms and hands under a black light would be rejected by Dr. Frankenstein as being a little too chewed up. You'll heal and the resultant scar tissue will be tougher the the previous cover.

As an aside, the tip of my right ring finger seems to be cursed. Although I've suffered the odd cut, contusion and lost nail elsewhere on my frame, I've lost the nail on that poor bugger three times. I've lost track of how all these things happen, and the only time I've been to a hospital for them when was I was at work and they forced me to. Again, SRO for me is the band-aid and back to work.

BTW Laverne, on an unrelated subject, I watched 12 Monkeys again the other night and it reminded me Brad is a pretty good actor after all. I take back whatever I may have said about him in the past.:D

10. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Believe it or not, not everyone wants to look like something from a Frankenstein movie. When I was little I fell and cracked open a nasty cut in the middle of my forhead. I didn't get immediate hospital attention and I will have a decent sized scar right in the middle of my forehead for the rest of my life. A couple of prompt stitches likely would have prevented it. Likewise, most people would probaby prefer not to lose a fingernail if it can be avoided. I agree that the body is a miraculous healing machine, and such I don't go to hospitals for simple cuts and scrapes. But sometimes stopping by the hospital, or at least a doctors office, can give your body a little extra help and maybe cut down on healing time or the lasting impact the wound causes.

11. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Well, when you have the possibility of tetanus and all sorts of infections from whatever might be in the wood....

I think I'd want a trained professional cleaning my wound instead of me trying to hold my hand steady, in excrutiating pain, and try to treat myself ONE-HANDED.

The reasons for astronomical costs are many in number. Someone who can afford the ER visit is NOT one of them.

12. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Oh boy, too many to list. I'm like Jon, unless something is hanging off I won't go to the doctor. Some recent entries include 2 deeply embedded fish hooks. First time was on my right thumb buried all the way to the bone. This was on a late Saturday afternoon fishing trip with my son and by the time I got the boat loaded up and back to town it was midnight and I really didn't want to mess with going to the ER so I went home and went to bed and went to a clinic the next morning. The doctor on call didn't want to mess with it because it was right next to a nerve so he called in a hand surgeon. So $1000 and 3 stitches later I get the hook out. The second hook incident just happened a few weeks ago on another trip with my son and again out in the middle of the lake. This time it was in my right forefinger. I tried to pull it out with a pair of pliers but it just hurt too bad. Had to go to the doctor again but this time it was an easy extraction. Fortunately I've had a recent tetanus shot.

One honorable mention was the afternoon I was getting ready to go fishing. I was adding a little brake fluid to the reservoir on my truck. While replacing the reservoir cap a stream of brake fluid shot out straight into my right eye. It burned like crazy and I couldn't see out of that eye. I wasn't going to let a little thing like a corneal chemical burn ruin a fishing trip so I went anyway and it was torture. I finally went to a doctor and he gave some Novocaine eye drops which relieved the pain. Within a week my eye had healed up and I was back to normal. :hurah:

A couple more honorable mentions include an incident with a nail gun that shoots 3-1/2" framing nails and an incident with a circular saw and my right knee. :eek2: :eek2:

13. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    That's what wives are for, or in the case of Laverne, husbands. Mine is very used to cuts, nicks, blood...If its one of the kids they have been brought to the doctor or emergency room for stitches and staples. The only time I had these things is with the surgery on my legs. Jon sounds like he has more scars than I do, but I have quite few as well. I remember the big ones, not so sure on a lot of the little ones.

I took off my fingertip when I was a teenager trimming the grass with a clippers (no string trimmers back then). Grabbed a clump of grass and took the fingertip right off with the grass. Hurt like hell, is there a place with more nerve endings in your body than the fingertip? It took several bandaids. Amazingly, no scar, but it was a looooong time before I played the guitar again.

14. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You know, if you are going to keep going fishing you are going to have to learn how to pop those things out. Most times its a simple matter of how to apply pressure, and in which direction. I've never gone to the doctor to have a fish hook removed either. :D
    Here is one guide online.
    Fish hook removal

15. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Believe me I tried, it was excruciatingly painful. Going to the doctor was a last resort in both cases. I carry a first aid kit in the boat for minor emergencies. Maybe I should throw in some Novocaine and a hypodermic. :D

16. RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    How many people have touched "hot" AC line voltage? How many times? :eek2:

!danger: :icon_stup :bad_nono: :sunsmile: :new_Eyecr

17. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    :wave:

You mean the 110v house line? I have. Once. Re-wallpapering my parents' bathroom, didn't want to give up the light. Cutting around the switch with the utility knife... Gee, that was fun! :girlscrea Completely brainless thing to do. Didn't hurt, just didn't take me long to feel of a metal knife with 110 volts running through it! :sure: ;) :lol:

18. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    More times than I care to admit. I've been shocked by 110VAC many times and a few times by 230VAC. Never anything higher than that. Generally it's not deadly or even permanently harmful unless certain conditions exist like standing barefooted in a puddle of water. Then there was the licensed electrician in our town who was electrocuted in his own hot tub. Knocked a radio in the tub with him. An invetigation showed the circuit for the tub wasn't wired with the correct GFI protections.. This guy knew better but in the end it didn't matter. :eek2:

19. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    This is a simple mistake but easy to make. Couple years ago, I was closing the door on my pickup, had the last 3 fingers outside and 2 inside. It seperated the fingernail on the index finger,, took me a couple minutes to realize I did it. What hurt the worst was after a week or so,, the doctor went to remove the bandages and took the nail with it. Funny how the nail bed looks like the inside of a golf ball,, all pink and dimply. It did just enough damage to it so that now I have 2 fingernails,, dang thing just keeps splitting and catches on everything.

20. RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Yep. I did that several times as an older kid. Once for some reason I shattered the glass on a neon bulb, then plugged it in and grabbed the outer electrode (wouldn't you know it was the hot one).

Then there was the time I opened up a plugged-in radio to tinker with it.

Then there was that 230-volt DC power supply, right across the chest between the arms. That one was the worst of all, because it tenses your muscles, like a frog's leg in some cruel experiment, and it may have come closest to a fatal current through the heart.

Then there was the weather station, powered by AC behind several resistors in the 100 Mega-Ohm range. This hardly counts, since it only mildly tingled.

Then later in life, working with a flashlight in the dark under a desk on a power supply. I was well-concealed, so it was a great relief that I did not get electrocuted, then go missing for days until someone would have eventually found the body by smell. :ewww:

These days I'm much more careful to unplug stuff, and to shut off the circuit breaker, as appropriate, before working on or near anything electrical. It takes more lessons for some of us to learn, I guess! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.