1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to access youtube playlist???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jaguar325, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    Does anyone know what the key steps are in creating a youtube playlist and accessing it from a DVR?

I'm trying to come up with sort of an "mtv on-demand" by experimenting with video playlists on youtube. I have Rhapsody streaming through my AV reciever which is nice but I'd like to see something more interesting than an album cover. I probably don't want this bad enough to solve it by buying another box (e.g. Roku) so want to see if I can get the job done with existing equipment.

It's simple enough to setup and play the playlist from my PC but I can't figure out how find the playlist and play it from my D* DVR. All I have figured out how to do so far is key in the name of each individual artist and get one song to play, then I have to back out and search on the same or different artist to get/play the next song (a real pain).

I read a post yesterday from some guy who said all you have to do is search on my email address or youtube user channel name but this hasn't been working. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Big K

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If your HD DVR is properly connected to the internet, YouTube items will appear as part of the Smart Search. You may have to scroll down to the end of the search results to see the "YouTube" entries.

3. HL7

HL7 New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    I'm trying to do the same thing with trying to get my youtube playlist to display when doing a search but like you I haven't had any luck either.

I tried to scroll to the bottom of the search but it keeps going and going and going :nono2:

Not sure if it's going to be possible because I figure you would need a way to sign in to youtube before YOUR list would display.

4. Relativity

Relativity AllStar

May 28, 2011
    youtube searching is basic on DirecTv. There is no "log in" option so you can't show your favorites. I think you can enter the users name, and select the youtube search and it should display the users videos. The problem is it doesn't display them all, and there is no way to sort the results that I am aware of (such as newest first, etc.)

5. HL7

HL7 New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Yeah I figured that was the issue.

I don't have any videos, but I've created a favorites list for my son. I would like to have all the youtube videos on that list play. Maybe in a future release DTV will add it. For now I guess I will have to use the youtube app on my samsung tv instead.

6. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Tversity or Microsoft Media Server with D* Media Share may do the YouTube playlist. Tversity offers YouTube, but I do not know if you can sign-in.

7. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    You can sign in with Playon from MediaMall Technologies, if I recall.

Works OK, haven't really used it much.

Free Trial, $40 annual fee, but there are usually other ways to get half price or better deals.
    I

8. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I had to have my Trailer Park Boys back so I bought an Apple TV to give me TPB streaming access from Netflix. When I was doing setup on the box, I noticed Youtube was one of the options under the "Internet" tab. Since the ATV allows you to sign-on to Youtube, it took me right to my playlists as an option -- works fine this way. The only ones that don't come up are the ones streamed off VIMEO but there's an iPad app available to fix that.

I still wish I could get there through my DVR. I read a post some guy wrote back in March that said you could if you search on user name -- I tried it every way I could think of and it never came up.