How to celebrate Christmas like the grandparents did over 50 years ago

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From SF Gate:

How to celebrate Christmas like the grandparents did over 50 years ago
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. 2016-50=1966.

[​IMG]

Yeah, no that doesn't look like what I remember. That first picture is from the 1930's or maybe the '40's.

We're the grandparents now in our 70's. IMHO this is one of those "back in my day we walked 20 miles to and from grandma's house in the snow uphill in both directions" kind of articles. People did what they needed and could do in 1966 which is what people seem to be doing today.

Let's just enjoy this year's Christmas.

Note: Heather Leighton who did that piece is a under-30 Millennial who could easily be my granddaughter and like our granddaughter has no idea what our lives were like 50 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The headline was "over 50 years ago" ... so any Christmas prior to 1966 would apply.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, but my point is my grandchildren really don't know about my Christmas in 1966. The headline is How to celebrate Christmas like the grandparents did over 50 years ago. You take that back to 1956 or 1946 or 1936 and it won't get any better. I suppose when my father was a kid in 1916, he said they used to get oranges shipped from the relatives in California which was a big deal in December and expensive for the time which seems contrary to the article which makes the grandparents seem like tightwads or impoverished. As I said people did what they needed and could do in 1966 (or 1916) which is what people seem to be doing today.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    We used to call my aunt on Christmas. She was 3000 miles away, and we used to time the call, with each of us being allowed to talk for one minute. Long distance was expensive back then.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I try not to confuse the fiscally responsible with the derogatory"tight wad". Frugal can be spending money well.

That applies to the Christmas splurge where in 1916 and 1966 one would be more likely to get something special that was a need instead of something unneeded.

If one want to celebrate like it is 1966 (or before) one can focus on needs over wants. One can, as the article suggests, save up and spend a cash budget instead of going deep into debt every December and spending the rest of the year digging out of the debt.

Spend on something meaningful instead of something that will be forgotten.

7. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    You telling it was expensive. One of my cousin call her boyfriend who was station in Hawaii and the cost of the call was over $140. A few years later I was also station in Hawaii and it would cost $8 a minute.