1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to control TV2 with a universal remote other than one provided

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by ralphy j, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphy j

ralphy j New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I have a Jumbo Universal Remote that, under the PVR\DVR-SAT COMBO CODE category for Dish Network, says 195 and it works for my Dish Network ViP622 DVR Reciver and TV1 but does not control TV2. I'm guessing it has to do with UHF, does anyone know I can tweak my remote control to control TV2? What does the Dish Network remote control have that my remote doesn't? I mean, if it can control the reciever, shouldn't it control TV2 as well? I'd GREATLY appreciate any help. If you know a different code that could control TV2, I'd appreciate it.

2. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Not aware of anything that can control TV2 besides Dish UHF remote Unless 622 is in single mode.

3. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    And what universal remote will work to control tv2 if the 622 is in single mode?

4. yardbird

yardbird Mentor

May 7, 2007
    If it's in single mode is there anything specific to TV2 you need to control? I have a 622 in single mode and before that had a 625 in single mode (I never run them in dual mode.... no need here) and I never ran into any situation where I had to specifically target TV2 for control. In single mode I just don't see a need for the TV2 remote at all.

If you output to 2 TVs in single mode they are both watching teh same thing. So you STILL don't need to control TV2.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

5. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    Here is what I meant. If I watch tv on my second tv, say in the bedroom, the only remote that will work to control the 622 receiver is the one provided. I use the AIO remote to control the receiver in the den on my main tv but of course it won't work in another room. What I'm looking for is an other remote that will control the receiver from where my second tv is located.

6. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    An IR (Infra Red) extender will do the job. There is more than one brand but Radio Shack has one for $30 something. You would then use the AIO in the bedroom.

7. ralphy j

ralphy j New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    thanks, i'll try it and hopefully it'll work for me and shortspark

8. TiVoPrince

TiVoPrince AllStar

May 10, 2007
    I use
    touchscreens everywhere and 100% of my remote traffic is by IR extender using my Channel Plus stuff. Just use single mode on the VIP622 and enjoy the ride...

9. ralphy j

ralphy j New Member

Aug 11, 2007

WHAT?! single mode lets TV1 control what TV2 sees, my dad watches TV1, and me and my sister watch TV2, bt he only gives us the remote when he feels like it, that's why I want my universal remote to control TV2, and all the ir extenders i found that I can buy in a store have bad reviews, where did you get yours from?

is there a uhf add-on i can stick on to my remote?

10. ralphy j

ralphy j New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    and what does touch screens have to do with anything?

11. TiVoPrince

TiVoPrince AllStar

May 10, 2007
    Touchscreens
    are 100% programmed. No way to fake anything but full control of everything. A friend used the Philips Pronto 6000 touchscreen in RF mode and a IR base sender at the receiver. Worked for him but if you really need TV1/TV2 functions you may have to use the Dish remote...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.