1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convert from E* to D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cnsf, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 7, 2003 #1 of 11
    cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    So, I think I've finally had it with E* not getting on board with the YES Network in the NY DMA.

I am soliciting advice for how to best get a new D* installation with 2 Tivos (40hr minimum) and one regular receiver with a TC Premier plus locals and warranty package.

Does D* also charge $5 per additional receiver?

Where should I go in the NY Westchester area? Major retailer? Small guy? Where will I get the best deal?

Can I use my Dish Network dishes or do I have to get a D* dish instead?

Any suggestions on selling 2 501s and a 4900 w/smart cards? Just eBay?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Jan 7, 2003 #2 of 11
    Kenster

Kenster Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    How much do you want for a 501?

3. Jan 7, 2003 #3 of 11
    Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    When I first came over, I bought my two standard receivers and dish from a electronics store here in town. I then bought my UTV units and multi-switches from an online dealer.

What you could do is go to Best Buy or Circuit City, get the new subscriber deal for a single receiver and then turn around and buy your two Directv DVR's and multi-switch from an online dealer. www.orbitsat.com has the Directv DVR (Series II Directivo) units for $239 each for new or existing subscribers. A 2X6 multi-switch (2 lines in from the lnb and five out to the receivers) is about $50.00 and can be found at www.minidishes.tv

You may be able to get just as good a deal just from Best Buy for all your equipment and skip the hassle of multiple vendors.

You'll be able to use your old dish as long as it has a dual-lnb.

You could try selling your E* equipment here on this forum or on EBay.

Hope that helps.

4. Jan 7, 2003 #4 of 11
    cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    KArl,

Thanks for the help. I have two dual LNB Dishes on the roof pointing at 61.5 and 110/119.

BestBuy was a $10 difference on the TivoSeries2, so your comment on sticking with one is a good idea.

Do you know if you need two home runs to the Tivos or can I use a splitter somewhere for the dual tuner?

Thanks again for the help.

5. Jan 7, 2003 #5 of 11
    cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Let me convert first, but I'll be looking to sell each one for the going eBay price for one with a card and a clean account.

6. Jan 7, 2003 #6 of 11
    Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You cannot use a splitter anywhere from the dish to the receiver. Once the signal comes out of the receiver, then you can use a splitter to go out to multiple tv's. So the short answer is you have to have two separate cables runs from the multi-switch to each Directivo.

You will need only a single dish with a dual-lnb, so the second dish can come down.

I also didn't answer another question you had. Directv does charge $4.99 for each additional receiver.

If you have TC Premier, then you won't have a separate PVR fee, just the $4.99 mirroring charge. If you have any other package, you'll be charged a $4.95 Directivo fee which covers all Directivos on the account.

Make sure you get a multi-switch that has enough outputs for your system. You need at least a 2X6 for what you described, and if you have the funds, I'd go for a 2X8 for future expansion. If you have a long cable run, you might want to consider a powered multi-switch. I originally bought a Sony 3X4 and had to replace it when I bought my second UTV. The one I bought and use now is a Spaun 2X6.

7. Jan 7, 2003 #7 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    What is the going price of a used 501 and a used 508 on ebay?

8. Jan 8, 2003 #8 of 11
    cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Looks to be around $175-$250 w/card and remote (for the 501)

9. Jan 8, 2003 #9 of 11
    cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Karl,

Great info, thanks.

So, here's what I see for me:

2 DirecTivo Series2s : $249/each=$500
    1 Dish/receiver package with installation: $0-$100 (should I go for the 18X20 dish?)
    1 2X6 Splitter (don't plan on staying in the house forever - could impact the Dish decision)=$50

Initial setup cost = $650

Monthly Charges:

TC Premier w/locals=$85.99
    DirecTV Protection Plan =$5.99
    2 add'l receivers (3 total)=$9.98

So, I should be looking at a monthly charge of $101.96 vs. my E* equivalent of $97.98. $50 annual difference.

Just to get YES....what a pain.

So, if I sell my 501s for $175-250 I subsidize a minimum of $350 up to $500. Also need to sell a 4900 ($75-$100), an SW64 ($75?), and 2 Dish 500s ($25 each?). That could help me break even. Packaging would just be a PITA.

Sound about right?

10. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    $1 extra a week to get YES,
    more PPV movie choices,
    all your locals from a single 18" dish
    - AND -
    dual-tuning, twin-buffering, time-shifting, commercial-skipping, automatic-show-finding DirecTiVo goodness

Sounds like a bargain to me :D

11. cnsf

Jun 6, 2002
    Already have the PVR "goodness" with Dish PVRs. What we don't have are the nicer and smarter Tivo interfaces....and the YES Network for a buck.

Wonder why Dish couldn't work it out to also charge the NY DMA subs for this.....even at $2, it's worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.